Where and how do you cut things from your budget?

I'm not giving up my beer or wine. :D

I cut costs by cooking at home. I cook about as well as most restaurants, and the cost is SO MUCH LESS, so why eat out? And on those nights when I'm just tired and don't want to cook, I inevitably find myself hating the meal at the restaurant because it's crap and it cost about as much as my weekly grocery spending.

• Fire 1

My wife and I make a comfortable living but we also don't mind saving a few bucks either. Our one guilty pleasure is eating out once a week. We cut out travel to lower spending. We don't go on true vacations. Ones that last maybe a week at a resort or something exotic. When we travel, it's to see and stay with relatives we have spread out over the country. The savings on motels and food by staying with family allows us to save thousands a year. Also we travel without missing any work. A couple mini excursions a year allows us the ability to do what we love and that is eat out.

Full disclosure- we are blessed to be in a position where we don't really have to stick to any budget, we choose to. It's fun for my wife and me to take a peak at our portfolio every few months and talk about the possibility of retiring before we're 50.

My wife and I make a comfortable living but we also don't mind saving a few bucks either. Our one guilty pleasure is eating out once a week. We cut out travel to lower spending. We don't go on true vacations. Ones that last maybe a week at a resort or something exotic. When we travel, it's to see and stay with relatives we have spread out over the country. The savings on motels and food by staying with family allows us to save thousands a year. Also we travel without missing any work. A couple mini excursions a year allows us the ability to do what we love and that is eat out.

Full disclosure- we are blessed to be in a position where we don't really have to stick to any budget, we choose to. It's fun for my wife and me to take a peak at our portfolio every few months and talk about the possibility of retiring before we're 50.

Or the possibility of giving Landlord some money for his birthday on Wednesday ;)

What do you guys do for a living?

Or the possibility of giving Landlord some money for his birthday on Wednesday ;)

also my wife's bday!

I cut costs by cooking at home. I cook about as well as most restaurants, and the cost is SO MUCH LESS, so why eat out? And on those nights when I'm just tired and don't want to cook, I inevitably find myself hating the meal at the restaurant because it's crap and it cost about as much as my weekly grocery spending.

I guess my question is, how much money do you spend on booze in a week or a month or whatever? :cheers I mean, my wife isn't much of a drinker I will drink 2-3 beers a night, occasionally a whiskey and diet coke and maybe a pitcher of Margaritas about 4x a year. I spend maybe 100.00 bucks a month on booze for my home and that is on the high end.

I guess my question is, how much money do you spend on booze in a week or a month or whatever? :cheers I mean, my wife isn't much of a drinker I will drink 2-3 beers a night, occasionally a whiskey and diet coke and maybe a pitcher of Margaritas about 4x a year. I spend maybe 100.00 bucks a month on booze for my home and that is on the high end.

Yeah, I prolly spend around $100. Then again, I drink cheap booze. :lol:

Yeah, I prolly spend around $100. Then again, I drink cheap booze. :lol:

So do I, I like microbrews, but drink a lot of Busch Lt. also. I can't tell the difference between cheap whiskey or JD when I mix it with a diet coke.

If you are trying to save up more cash, where do you look to make cuts?

Booze?

Cable TV?

DirectTV?

Cheaper foods?

Cooking at home?

What kinds of things do you try to do so that you can save some more cash?

I think for me, it is the liquor purchases that eat into a bit much.

For most people, a cell phone and particularly a smart phone is a luxury, not a necessity. Cancel the contracts and save a ton.

• Fire 1

If you are trying to save up more cash, where do you look to make cuts?

Booze?

Cable TV?

DirectTV?

Cheaper foods?

Cooking at home?

What kinds of things do you try to do so that you can save some more cash?

I think for me, it is the liquor purchases that eat into a bit much.

For most people, a cell phone and particularly a smart phone is a luxury, not a necessity. Cancel the contracts and save a ton.

We have actually cut out our land line. Anytime someone wants to get us on the phone it's usually on our cells.