OTE NEB Week: Bo Pelini

Damn good article:

So who is Bo Pelini?

In five seasons, Pelini has led the Huskers to a 48-20 record which averages out to a shade over nine wins per season. Of course it's the loss column that bothers most people, and the now very apt adage that you can't spell Pellllini without four 'l's. Nine win seasons are not what they used to be, or some other argument as one might like to put forth, but the bottom line is that wins and losses aren't the whole story - at least they aren't the part of the story most of us like to tell...

But there is another side to him. Erin Sorensen had an excellent article over at Hail Varsity earlier this Spring on the changing demeanor of Bo Pelini. In it, she talked about the reality of his softer side in light of Jack Hoffman sprinting to the endzone in what would soon be an ESPY winning highlight. I've often gone back to that article to remind myself of the duality that is Coach Pelini. For a man who is known as the definitive hardass, and one who will have all the attention focused solely on him, how is it that he could be so passionate to help a young man who has dealt with most of us could ever understand? This was after Rex. This was after he had to. This was solely because he wanted to make a young kid's day.

http://www.offtackle...-2013-bo-pelini

I always have believed that Bo was the man for the job here, even if it does take a decade to prove it. But since he's doing everything the right way, the 9 and 10 wins will just have to be enough. Folks, we have a nice big helping of perspective here at Nebraska in a very perspectiveless business. We should be damn proud.

• Fire 2

Bo is firey. So are a lot of coaches. Saban doesn't scream at players and officials? And the list could go on, and on, and on.... When pundits try to paint Bo as a lunatic, I laugh it off and attribute it to the fact that they want to build that character for Bo. It's a purposefull decision to make him look that way.

Bo has done a lot of things right, but hasn't enjoyed the right mix of talent on both sides of the ball at the same time. First few years, great D, no O. Now it's great O, no D.

And the hot seat. Not seeing it. The only way Bo gets fired or put on the hot seat is with a 8-5 record or worse.

8-5 or 7-6 would be the scorched earth worst case scenario this year. Possible considering all the close wins last year, but since all those close wins would have to turn into close losses, its far from likely.

Even 7-6 might not be enough to pull the trigger since the new AD would never want to be compared to SP in any way shape or form.

Another year might be granted even if the team goes 7-6.

I hope I am speaking for a lot of people, that in honesty did not want Bo here. I did not feel he was qualified for the job, did not like his history of over the top reactions, his less than stellar handling of the first bowl game. Young man and coach at the time. I have seen improvement in him, and his actions every year. Do I expect him to win MNC, no, not likely to happen here again. A more dynamic, experienced coach might take us back to the top, but again I doubt it. Bo has us making an improvement, a steady climb, a learning curve. He has ran a clean program, kept the kids out of trouble, raised the academic grade level, raised graduation rates. And as stated the Jack Hoffman action, shows truly what type of man he really is down deep. I had never been a fan, until that happened. I had given him high marks for the running of the program, still not ready to do that on the coaching side, but I think he is the right man for the job. Just make us competitive, win the ones we can, keep the score within reason and I have no problems with him as our coach. Sure I want to win the CCG, the MNC, but a good man, clean program and no scandals to me is far more important.

• Fire 3

I hope I am speaking for a lot of people, that in honesty did not want Bo here. I did not feel he was qualified for the job, did not like his history of over the top reactions, his less than stellar handling of the first bowl game. Young man and coach at the time. I have seen improvement in him, and his actions every year. Do I expect him to win MNC, no, not likely to happen here again. A more dynamic, experienced coach might take us back to the top, but again I doubt it. Bo has us making an improvement, a steady climb, a learning curve. He has ran a clean program, kept the kids out of trouble, raised the academic grade level, raised graduation rates. And as stated the Jack Hoffman action, shows truly what type of man he really is down deep. I had never been a fan, until that happened. I had given him high marks for the running of the program, still not ready to do that on the coaching side, but I think he is the right man for the job. Just make us competitive, win the ones we can, keep the score within reason and I have no problems with him as our coach. Sure I want to win the CCG, the MNC, but a good man, clean program and no scandals to me is far more important.

Welcome to the dark red side. :thumbs

I think Bo has the qualifications X and O wise and I think he can develop players. Recruiting wise he has never been a home run hitter. Then again, maybe if we just had a couple of great years in terms of CCG or win one of the big time bowls, the Rose for instance, that would change. We might be a lot closer than we think in a lot of areas. It's a hard read from outside the program looking in.

timon_jaw_drop.gif

I think Bo has the qualifications X and O wise and I think he can develop players. Recruiting wise he has never been a home run hitter. Then again, maybe if we just had a couple of great years in terms of CCG or win one of the big time bowls, the Rose for instance, that would change. We might be a lot closer than we think in a lot of areas. It's a hard read from outside the program looking in.

I think Bo's just that one big win/signature win from the floodgates opening in recruiting. We're in on a lot of upper guys and identify a lot of overlooked, high caliber talent who leave for "greener pastures" later on in the process. Bo needs that big win or two to get over the hump, because I bet he and staff are getting pretty sick and tired of being id bitches for the SEC and their bullsh#t.

Best man for the job. I like high blood pressure and fiery attitude. And media.......just a matter of time like Mike Gundy ("I'm 40") and Dan Hawkins ("intramurals brotha") rants.

Devil's advocate arguments?

1. Recruiting

2. Defense. I thought defense genius?

FINALRECORDS_zps3fdaae39.jpg

Billy Callaclown......I admit excited for the first three years :wacko:

Best man for the job. I like high blood pressure and fiery attitude. And media.......just a matter of time like Mike Gundy ("I'm 40") and Dan Hawkins ("intramurals brotha") rants.

1. Recruiting

If this is any indication of the future we are going to go 0-0 next year.

• Fire 1

1. Recruiting

If this is any indication of the future we are going to go 0-0 next year.

At least we go undefeated that way.