expansion news

Why does the B1G want UVA? What do they bring to the table? Not a very good fan base, poor football, decent basketball & pretty good baseball. Are you in it for the baseball?

I still thank the B1G for taking Maryland off our hands and allowing us to add Louisville. Huge upgrade.

8 million TV sets and a population base that right now is mostly moving East and South.

UVA fans don't watch football. They're a wine & cheese crowd.

It doesn't matter who watches. it matters how many cable subscribers get it added to their basic cable packages.

Gotcha.

Why does the B1G want UVA? What do they bring to the table? Not a very good fan base, poor football, decent basketball & pretty good baseball. Are you in it for the baseball?

I still thank the B1G for taking Maryland off our hands and allowing us to add Louisville. Huge upgrade.

UVA is a top tier Public Institution and the best in the ACC

UVA is part of the AAU

UVA has a strong alumni base

Virginia has millions of households and TVs

Virginia has a fantastic recruiting base

getting UVA gets us into Virginia before the SEC

And Maryland is the same(with the obvious exception of 'best in the ACC') while Louisville is not.

The goal is to get the most valuable school by a mile in the ACC and that is UNC.

which states are missing from the SEC's confederate map? Virginia and North Carolina

which University could the ACC least afford to lose? UNC

Where did Delany go to school? UNC

It seems to me a contest of who gets into UNC's ear. the ACC, B1G or SEC.

UVA is part of the AAU

And Maryland is the same(with the obvious exception of 'best in the ACC') while Louisville is not.

The goal is to get the most valuable school by a mile in the ACC and that is UNC.

which states are missing from the SEC's confederate map? Virginia and North Carolina

It seems to me a contest of who get's into UNC's ear. the ACC, B1G or SEC.

Swofford also went to UNC. Hence the NC bias in the ACC.

UVA is part of the AAU

It seems to me a contest of who get's into UNC's ear. the ACC, B1G or SEC.

Swofford also went to UNC. Hence the NC bias in the ACC.

I think that could also be attributed to 4 schools being from that state as well.

Anyway, the school is very powerful and outside of Texas is probably the most impressive expansion candidate since Penn State

Difference is I don't think the SEC wants Texas. This would be the first real head-to-head competition between the B1G and the SEC. I'd give the edge to the SEC in that fight.

Difference is I don't think the SEC wants Texas.

The feeling is mutual--Texass will go independent before they go to the SEC.

And all of this talk about the B1G or SEC poaching ACC or Big XII teams is bluster until someone breaks a GOR successfully in court. So unless Texass has plans to go independent sooner rather than later, the only expansion happening will come at the expense of the SEC (not likely) or from the other conferences (sans Pac-12).

Informative article about the Big 12 GOR and how it can be broken without much problem. Basically says that a conference has to show that a school leaving would cause monetary damage to the conference which hasn't happened to The Big 12 or ACC when realignment was rampant.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/myth-of-the-big-12s-grant-of-rights-010313

Networks, and one specifically, won't reduce the amount they pay to the conferences because it would violate their fiduciary duties to the conferences. Because one network (ESPN) has a hand in every league's media deal (except new Big East if it even exists) it can't in good faith pay one league more for raiding one league, then reducing its payout to league that was raided.

Because there is no evidence there would be a reduced payout to the league, the damages calculation is simple. The media deal for Conference A remains unchanged despite School X leaving, therefore there would be no damages for breach of grant of rights. The Big 12 grant of rights runs concurrently to media deals. So unless the networks change their strategy and go against precedent and start reducing the payouts to leagues, the only thing that binds these schools is money. Once the SEC starts its network there will be a new conference shuffle, and the Big 12 is still vulnerable.

But espn most likely did due diligence with the contract and the payout falls if the desired content leaves. If the ACC were to become the AAC #2, we wouldn't expect that espn pays FSU rates for. USF games.

Plus there's a guaranteed lawsuit as long as Kenneth Starr is alive.

You could be right. I have no clue about the legalities of these things except for what I hear and read from someone else. But something doesn't sit well with me that these schools would enter into such a long term agreement without some loophole life vest just in case crap hits the fan.

It doesn't matter who watches. it matters how many cable subscribers get it added to their basic cable packages.

That's only ~50% right--Carrier fees pay for the day-to-day operations budget, if you will, and those will be assessed no matter what.

The other ~50% comes from the advertising and the potential eyeballs that the channel can attract. Larger markets (e.g. NYC, DC, Baltimore, Chicago) demand more money per spot as long as the ratings remain steady (which they should).

As evidenced by the large payouts to conference member teams, they're doing quite well in this regard.

But espn most likely did due diligence with the contract and the payout falls if the desired content leaves. If the ACC were to become the AAC #2, we wouldn't expect that espn pays FSU rates for. USF games.

You could be right. I have no clue about the legalities of these things except for what I hear and read from someone else. But something doesn't sit well with me that these schools would enter into such a long term agreement without some loophole life vest just in case crap hits the fan.

Good article--thanks for the link, St. Paul. There was an article similar to this a year or so ago...the only difference between the articles is that the one from before went a step further and stated that while fighting and winning against a GOR is entirely possible, but it will take a lot of money and time to force the issue. Money and time are two things quite a few schools don't have to spend--Texass does.

As it has been said elsewhere, Texass would never knowingly enter a contract they couldn't back out of at their convenience. :)

As for Oklahoma (unless the climate has shifted in the Oklahoma state government) T. Boones Farms Pickens has the state bought and paid for, and Oklahoma joining without their annoying tag-a-long isn't possible as it will require approval by the state. Oklahoma would have to grease a lot of palms or play one hell of a game of political chess to escape to a better conference with Texass.

Then again, Texass does have all of that dirty oil money to spare. :)

I think the "loophole" is that Texas walks away and says 'sue me' and then in court 'you can't sue me, I have sovereign immunity.'

If the Big 12 is clearly folding due to multiple defection, GOR doesnt do much.

As long as there are schools still in the Big XII, it has to be dealt with.

And to reference the article St. Paul Husker provided, if ESPN/FOX decided to decrease payment to the conference, then there are real damages that would come into play, thus drawing this out. The easy escape clause from said article was that if the payouts remain unchanged, then there are no real damages, which implies there's no standing by the conference that is wronged.

(At least, that's how I read it...maybe I didn't read it right...I dunno. It's early.)

'Cause frankly, if ESPN/FOX is going to pay the same amount of money for KU/KSU/ISU/OkieLite/Baylor/TCU/WVU/TTech, they'd be insane. I dare say the WAC would be more interesting than that lot.