expansion news

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24653476/maryland-acc-settle-fight-over-exit-fee-conference-will-keep-31m

Yep. Terps won. Precedent has been set.

keep an eye on UVA in the future. The Big XII and SEC could get involved too.

This round goes to the ACC. They were suing over money, not to force the Terps back into the ACC. Now there is a GOR which is a different ball game.

Special shout out to Hurtlocker over at Shaggy. He predicted exactly this settlement (the money the ACC already withheld during the last two years) from the get go.

At this point the Big Ten needs to go to 16 teams so we can get the 4 team pod schedule and play every team every two years with 9 conference games.

14 just doesn't work. I would not mind UVA, but with the GORs in place I would think ND and Missou are more likely. :-)

At this point the Big Ten needs to go to 16 teams so we can get the 4 team pod schedule and play every team every two years with 9 conference games.

14 just doesn't work. I would not mind UVA, but with the GORs in place I would think ND and Missou are more likely. :-)

ND knows they become Iowa if they come to the Big Ten(as if they aren't already but it will hit home). Their ability to recruit and to be parasitic off another conference while not sharing all the earnings will be gone. They wouldn't be able to end the season in California every year as they currently do.

Mizzou could be an option. I think they would stay in the SEC. they got to the champ game already and can compete just fine. I know they culturally see themselves as Midwestern and would like the B1G pub over the SEC academic rep.

Why UVA is talking to the B1G? not totally sure. Maryland left because they liked money, the ACC is a Carolina controlled conference and it wasn't the conference they once knew back in the 80's. I think their protected rival was Pittsburgh in the crossover, such a slap in the face to a original member. UVA keeps those Duke and Carolina games but they like money too and the Big Ten could seem attractive considering we have Maryland, PSU, Rutgers and John Hopkins in the same general region.

ND knows they become Iowa if they come to the Big Ten(as if they aren't already but it will hit home). Their ability to recruit and to be parasitic off another conference while not sharing all the earnings will be gone.

Actually we're only getting about 2 million from the ACC while contributing much more in terms of stability and tickets sold at Wake Forest. The ACC sort of pays us with minor bowl access and prestigious basketball matchups.

I dont want to see the 4 team pods in the Big Ten. Yeah itd be great to play every team as often as possible, but if we want a more Big 8 feel to our schedule its going to be better playing 7 division foes and two crossovers with no permanents.

Im sure our Western brethren are pretty much hating the new lineup. Adding another couple fill in like Virginia could be a breaking point that causes tension between schools like Iowa and Wisconsin vs the Big Ten.

The B1G would have to move 2 out of the 3 of Michigan, Michigan St or Ohio State to the Western division if they added more Eastern schools. Otherwise the population balance and recruiting availability will tilt way to heavily and the other schools won't stand a chance of being competitive year in and year out.

I think if you don't see the Big XII go after Clemson, FSU, etc and just sit at 10 then Its hard to NOT see some teams jumping ship with the help of B1G lawyers.

Just like Rutgers screamed B1G expansion 5 years ago, KU feels the exact same way to me today.

I think the things to watch are UVA's actions and the Big XII making moves, if any.

The B1G would have to move 2 out of the 3 of Michigan, Michigan St or Ohio State to the Western division if they added more Eastern schools. Otherwise the population balance and recruiting availability will tilt way to heavily and the other schools won't stand a chance of being competitive year in and year out.

I think if you don't see the Big XII go after Clemson, FSU, etc and just sit at 10

Will ultimately be their undoing. No way that league survives at 10 if ACC, SEC and B1G continue to grow. Even the Pac12 would get the itch, only way they succeed is by robbing more Big12 schools, ultimately and finally killing it.

I think if you don't see the Big XII go after Clemson, FSU, etc and just sit at 10

Will ultimately be their undoing. No way that league survives at 10 if ACC, SEC and B1G continue to grow. Even the Pac12 would get the itch, only way they succeed is by robbing more Big12 schools, ultimately and finally killing it.

Agreed. Which is why either the ACC or the Big XII has to go.

SEC and B1G aint staying at 14 and will get their teams from somewhere.