expansion news

Probably because y'all put you championship game on Fox.

Because we started the Big Ten Network. This was long before we had a championship game.

It's ESPN being petty little bitches in this instance--they were the first network Delaney went to with the idea for the BTN, and ESPN did everything but laugh Delaney out of Bristol. Of course, that was a stupid, *stupid* move for ESPN, and now that Delaney had the audacity to show ESPN up and succeed, we see negative/slanted B1G coverage as retaliation.

What everyone in the B1G should be concerned with is what happens if ESPN loses the B1G games completely: There's talk that Fox is willing to ante up for most to all B1G rights to shore up their Fox Sports Network (they have the inside track as majority partner of the BTN). Add to this the talk that NBC (for NBC Sports) and CBS are interested in leftover second-tier and first-tier B1G football inventory (respectively) and there's a possible scenario where the B1G isn't on ESPN at all.

Why should we be concerned with this?

I think Matthew M G's last sentence is why there should be concern. If ESPN and/or B1G decide not to carry any games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ABC, etc I think it could possibly hurt the league.

Now, the B1G could play hardball and tell ESPN that they can't have basketball either and then I think ESPN would reconsider their position.

We've already seen ESPN being petty by constantly dragging the B1G through the mire whenever possible in their coverage. But if there's no B1G football content on their networks, they have no reason to even discuss them. No discussions during the BCS Roundup shows, ESPN News, GameDay, et al. Don't believe me?--well, there's precedent for this--look at how the NHL was treated when they their content off of ESPN and gave it to a competitor. Now imagine that, but on a much bigger scale.

We should be concerned because ESPDisney markets itself well to the kiddos through its various networks. As a parent, I've flipped on Disney XD and their other family channels, only to see ESPN showing football or shilling college sports towards the kiddos. Until Fox Sports can step up to the plate and match, the B1G could become a 'forgotten' conference by ESPDisney, which could be a PR problem.

---

Also telling is Maryland's suit against the ACC alleging that ESPN was trying to convince the ACC to poach B1G properties (read: collusion). If there's any merit to that, then that may be enough for Delaney to give ESPDisney the middle finger and ship the B1G's product elsewhere.

There's a difference between smacktalking a conference based on on-the-field results and actively colluding in the backrooms with a rival conference to break apart a conference you have a contract with...all while purporting that you want to start early negotiations with said conference (which ESPDisney is trying to do).

If there's any truth to this, Delaney isn't going to let this s**t go by without firing off a shot. It took big cojones to start the BTN, and those same cojones may move the B1G away from ESPDisney and their SEC and Texass-whoring influence completely.

• Fire 1

Because we started the Big Ten Network. This was long before we had a championship game.

It's ESPN being petty little bitches in this instance--they were the first network Delaney went to with the idea for the BTN, and ESPN did everything but laugh Delaney out of Bristol. Of course, that was a stupid, *stupid* move for ESPN, and now that Delaney had the audacity to show ESPN up and succeed, we see negative/slanted B1G coverage as retaliation.

What everyone in the B1G should be concerned with is what happens if ESPN loses the B1G games completely: There's talk that Fox is willing to ante up for most to all B1G rights to shore up their Fox Sports Network (they have the inside track as majority partner of the BTN). Add to this the talk that NBC (for NBC Sports) and CBS are interested in leftover second-tier and first-tier B1G football inventory (respectively) and there's a possible scenario where the B1G isn't on ESPN at all.

Because ESPN controls the playoffs

Ok I get it now. But we dont know for sure it would play out that way. At some point, ESPN is either going to have to adjust their way of doing things or give way to other network(s) with more subjective commentary I would think. I know ESPN is the end all, say all right now, but it's not gonna be like that forever. Power creates complacency.

Ok I get it now. But we dont know for sure it would play out that way. At some point, ESPN is either going to have to adjust their way of doing things or give way to other network(s) with more subjective commentary I would think. I know ESPN is the end all, say all right now, but it's not gonna be like that forever. Power creates complacency.

Right, but in the interim, it would still be a huge move for the B1G to completely eschew ESPDisney for college football. And it could take years before people wise up about ESPN, et al.

---

Personally, if there is truth to Maryland's counter-suit that ESPN colluded with current ACC schools to break apart the B1G, there's no way the B1G can continue doing business with ESPN unless the WWL agrees to some strong content oversight in the contract.

This issue more or less forces Delaney's hand if it comes out that there was some truth to all of this.

Also, to be objective on this, Frank the Tank thinks there's little to Maryland's countersuit, other than Maryland trying to get exit fees reduced/removed.

http://frankthetank....ig-ten-schools/

I feel he's glossing over the ESPN/B1G's short, yet acrimonious history re: the formation of the BTN, but there could be little to this other than Maryland paying legal chicken with the ACC.

No more 11 AM games?

• Fire 2

So with the news of a possible reshuffle of tiers would it be in the Big Tens best interest to shoot for a couple more teams now or wait and see?

No one worth getting right now--GORs have reduced the pool to virtually no one worthwhile. Maybe UConn?...does the American Conference have a GOR?

Of course, the B1G could poach a GOR team and try to break it, but they would be destroying the GOR the B1G and all other conferences of substance have in place...thus creating a free-for-all in expansion and relocation.

And frankly, when Texass wants to leave, they'll break GORs in court--they'll have to, as the rest of the Big XII will sue for their lives.

So with the news of a possible reshuffle of tiers would it be in the Big Tens best interest to shoot for a couple more teams now or wait and see?

No one worth getting right now--GORs have reduced the pool to virtually no one worthwhile. Maybe UConn?...does the American Conference have a GOR?

Of course, the B1G could poach a GOR team and try to break it, but they would be destroying the GOR the B1G and all other conferences of substance have in place...thus creating a free-for-all in expansion and relocation.

And frankly, when Texass wants to leave, they'll break GORs in court--they'll have to, as the rest of the Big XII will sue for their lives.

I believe the SEC is the only major league without a GOR clause in place. Frankly why would they need one, nobody is leaving the SEC. Notre Dame hasnt officially joined the ACC yet and Jim Delaneys love affair with the Irish isnt a secret. Maybe that bridge has burned to rubble but the possibility of ND dropping a tier could coherce them into a confernce.

I believe the SEC is the only major league without a GOR clause in place. Frankly why would they need one, nobody is leaving the SEC. Notre Dame hasnt officially joined the ACC yet and Jim Delaneys love affair with the Irish isnt a secret. Maybe that bridge has burned to rubble but the possibility of ND dropping a tier could coherce them into a confernce.

It may lead ND into a conference but it won't be the B1G.

It could be bad. I won't start worrying until I see how the ACC reacts to the new football structure. IMO schools like Duke and Wake would have trouble if their scholarship costs suddenly rise.