expansion news

There's no way OU goes anywhere without Okie State from what I understand. So let's just take OU and OkieSt. It would be a better pickup than Maryland and Rutgers FOR SURE.

Depends on your parameters. If you're looking at the small picture, yes, they're better football programs than Maryland or Rutgers. Big picture though, we get better academic institutions, basketball, NY/NJ/DC/MD TV markets, and a lot more.

It's too bad that Okie Lite doesn't have a single redeeming quality about its program or school, or I think the B1G would be fine with offering OU/Okie Lite in a heartbeat.

We're not building an academic conference. It's an athletic conference. Maryland and Rutgers were a joke in that regard. At least OU would bring a traditional powerhouse football team. And even though there's nothing special about OkieSt, they've been a quality team for the past 5-10 years (1 game away from a NC berth 2 years ago) and it can't hurt to bring T. Boone Pickens along as well.

Part of what makes the B1G special is its academic collaboration in addition to its athletic prowess.

Exactly. That's why when people start pining for the Big XII, I can't help but shake my head--the University of Nebraska has received a shot in the arm across the board: Olympic sports, academics, research, and more...things that weren't possible if we stayed in the Big XII.

We didn't move because we wanted to play tOSU or Michigan every year--we moved because joining the B1G would improve the University's academic and athletic profile by degrees over time, as well as help set up the research arm for decades to come.

That it pissed off Texass that someone stood up to them and beat them in the backrooms (where Texass does their winning on and off the field) is the proverbial cherry on the s**t sundae that is/was the Big XII.

There's no way OU goes anywhere without Okie State from what I understand. So let's just take OU and OkieSt. It would be a better pickup than Maryland and Rutgers FOR SURE.

Depends on your parameters. If you're looking at the small picture, yes, they're better football programs than Maryland or Rutgers. Big picture though, we get better academic institutions, basketball, NY/NJ/DC/MD TV markets, and a lot more.

It's too bad that Okie Lite doesn't have a single redeeming quality about its program or school, or I think the B1G would be fine with offering OU/Okie Lite in a heartbeat.

We're not building an academic conference. It's an athletic conference. Maryland and Rutgers were a joke in that regard. At least OU would bring a traditional powerhouse football team. And even though there's nothing special about OkieSt, they've been a quality team for the past 5-10 years (1 game away from a NC berth 2 years ago) and it can't hurt to bring T. Boone Pickens along as well.

Part of what makes the B1G special is its academic collaboration in addition to its athletic prowess.

I guess I don't really know that much about Okie State, but would they come in and tarnish the academic reputation of the entire conference? I'd say probably not. They would maybe be behind the rest of the conference, but then again, that's the boat that Nebraska is in right now...

I'm all for academics being held to a high standard. But IMO when assembling an athletic conference, that shouldn't be absolute priority #1 for them to be elite academically.

St. Paul, I think if you lined up the conferences from the top down SEC #1 vs B1G #1, etc, you would see a lot of SEC victory over B1G.

But it's all theoretical. All we really have is past bowl records.

the top 3 in the SEC always beat their corresponding opponents. After that it's even, the middle and bottom of the SEC are no longer special.

St. Paul, I think if you lined up the conferences from the top down SEC #1 vs B1G #1, etc, you would see a lot of SEC victory over B1G.

I know that you like to talk about bowls, but the simple fact remains, bowls are a terrible way to measure conference vs conference. Bowls, for the most part, mean nothing. There is usually so much time in between the season and bowls that most teams don't really put that much stock in it. Most seniors or underclassmen that are leaving are more focussed on the combine and the draft. I'm not saying that there aren't some really competitive bowl games, but it is not a valid measure of conference vs conference.

None of this probably happens, but adding Texas and OU would make the B1G the most prestigious conference in the country.... Nebraska Michigan Ohio St. Penn. St. Texas OU That is one helluva line-up....

Prestigious in what way? Football power? If that's the case, the SEC would like a word with you....

You might equal the SEC, but it wouldn't be surpassed.

It takes decades if not a century for this sort of Prestige. ND has been horrible for 20 years yet they are followed and still one of the most popular teams in the country. When most SEC teams drop out of the rankings no one misses them. That conference is overall pretty damn forgettable in the long term scheme of things.

The SEC is hardly forgettable now, or in the long term. Overhyped? Sure. The emergence of A&M and Missouri has exposed the myth of the SEC to some extent. Other conferences are closer than most like to think.....

Obviously, a bit of a homer, but my perspective is yes, the SEC is the best football conference in the country. That being said, the gap between the SEC and the rest isn't some wide chasm. I struggle to come up with an appropriate analogy, but like I said, the SEC is better, but it's not invincible.

Maybe Alabama and LSU since they have a national following, but the rest? The country doesn't miss them, or care about them. I've seen the flavors of the decade come and go, If I told the same to Miami fans in the 80's they would react the same with disbelief, yet no one cared when they vanished. Same with Boston college, Washington or a plethora of teams that come and go. Like I said it takes a very long time and large institutions for prestige, not just having a few good years of note.

This year I will bet SEC looses more post season games then in the last few years. I still think they will win most since statistically it's almost impossible to loose more games at home or your back yard then on the road. Maybe if we had some of the playoffs up North we would also have more respect for the SEC, it's a funny little standard that we are expected to win 4 of 7 games that we play in the home state of our opponent, with the other 2 in the their back yard and one blissfully on out own turf. But if we loose by a score it's an omg, SEC is so dominant! But that's why College football ratings are barely on par with College hoops, at the end of the day the college football system is pretty silly.

• 2 weeks later...

the top team in the SEC usually beat their corresponding opponents. After that it's even, the middle and bottom of the SEC never were special.

FIFY

Huh. Cincinnati to the Big XII?

http://ucf.rivals.co...sid=908&style=2

Is Cincinnati telling recruits they're joining the Big 12?

JUCO DT Terrell Clinkscales says that's what he was told by Bearcats DB coach Steve Clinkscale, who just happens to have a similar last name.

Clinkscale, a Chicago native attending Dodge City C.C. in Kansas, tweeted this late Friday night:

"I met coach Clinkscales at Cincinnati. Them bearcats going to the big 12 next year"

Haven't seen any follow-up on this, so don't know if this is just a recruit that misheard their recruiting coach saying something, if there's legs to this, or if there's a coach that's using shady recruiting tactics to get a hold of a player.

---

Strike that--this may be where Cincinnati's coaches are getting their info from:

http://frankthetank.me/2013/10/30/the-big-12-expansion-index-wake-me-up-when-its-all-over/

Frank pretty much spells out that Cincinnati, BYU, and UCF are the bigger candidates the Big XII can use to get back to 12 teams and a conference title game.

If they were going to do it for next year, it would already be announced.

yeah that.

sounds like someone is throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks but really it is almost impossible for it to happen this late in the game.

That .... or they just don't have as much money to throw around as .... other schools do so they had to try something. chuckleshuffle

If they were going to do it for next year, it would already be announced.

yeah that.

sounds like someone is throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks but really it is almost impossible for it to happen this late in the game.

That .... or they just don't have as much money to throw around as .... other schools do so they had to try something. chuckleshuffle

Straight cash, homie

Huh. Cincinnati to the Big XII?

http://ucf.rivals.co...sid=908&style=2

Is Cincinnati telling recruits they're joining the Big 12?

JUCO DT Terrell Clinkscales says that's what he was told by Bearcats DB coach Steve Clinkscale, who just happens to have a similar last name.

Clinkscale, a Chicago native attending Dodge City C.C. in Kansas, tweeted this late Friday night:

"I met coach Clinkscales at Cincinnati. Them bearcats going to the big 12 next year"

Haven't seen any follow-up on this, so don't know if this is just a recruit that misheard their recruiting coach saying something, if there's legs to this, or if there's a coach that's using shady recruiting tactics to get a hold of a player.

---

Strike that--this may be where Cincinnati's coaches are getting their info from:

http://frankthetank....n-its-all-over/

Frank pretty much spells out that Cincinnati, BYU, and UCF are the bigger candidates the Big XII can use to get back to 12 teams and a conference title game.

Why not? It's not like the current Big 12 makes any sense geographically