expansion news

Short of swiping another school from a current BCS conference (not going to happen), they're down to old SWC schools (Rice and Houston, which won't help with TV dollars), a school with some tradition but little recent success (BYU) and a fringe school that has made some noise recently but brings no TV money to the table (Boise St.). They could possibly get Cincy or Louisville out of the tweener AA Conference but they really don't have many choices.

the conference is dead. Texas and Oklahoma can only do so much.

Anyone seen Texas 2014 schedule? Pathetic home slate and close out the year with:

11/22 BYE

11/27 TCU (Thanksgiving, while A&M plays LSU)

12/6 BYE

Talk about being off the radar. Their fans got to be itching for a better conference.

Anyone seen Texas 2014 schedule? Pathetic home slate and close out the year with:

11/22 BYE

12/6 BYE

Talk about being off the radar. Their fans got to be itching for a better conference.

They might gamble and wait to see if A&M is going to stick around. If they can't get the national pub away from A&M then they move I think.

Gambling is dangerous because once it starts then its hard to get it back with instate rivals.

11/22 BYE

12/6 BYE

It improves in 2015, unless Savvy Jack calls Patterson to drop them for Rice.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-11-05/sports/bs-sp-maryland-big-ten-1106-20131105_1_big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-university-president-wallace-loh

Interesting comment by Delany. He mentions that Maryland had to keep the negotiation secret because several other schools were interested in their spot. I wonder if other ACC schools were ticked off Maryland got it and thus signed the GO R.

http://articles.balt...ent-wallace-loh

Interesting comment by Delany. He mentions that Maryland had to keep the negotiation secret because several other schools were interested in their spot. I wonder if other ACC schools were ticked off Maryland got it and thus signed the GO R.

I really have my doubts about Maryland and Rutgers but I am keeping an open mind. I really think the B1G needs to target a couple football schools now to get to 16 - Texas, OU, FSU, Clemson

Any school left on the Big East Titantic would have gladly jumped into the Bug yacht. But that has not the reason they signed a non-disclosure agreement. Those are signed so people feel free to negotiate regardless of how many parties there are.

Any school left on the Big East Titantic would have gladly jumped into the Bug yacht. But that has not the reason they signed a non-disclosure agreement. Those are signed so people feel free to negotiate regardless of how many parties there are.

I didn't state this well. Here is the quote. 'Delany agreed that the process wasn't ideal but said the conference had to move swiftly and quietly because several other institutions were seeking the same spot.' He was responding to the fact that the decision was made quickly and with late notice to the regents.

I didn't state this well. Here is the quote. 'Delany agreed that the process wasn't ideal but said the conference had to move swiftly and quietly because several other institutions were seeking the same spot.' He was responding to the fact that the decision was made quickly and with late notice to the regents.

THat makes more sense I think. But why does UCONN wanting in affect whether Maryland's BOR could debate the move? Was there a self-imposed deadline? If there was a time factor it was probably that the ACC's GOR was coming soon, effectively walling off those schools.

THat makes more sense I think. But why does UCONN wanting in affect whether Maryland's BOR could debate the move? Was there a self-imposed deadline? If there was a time factor it was probably that the ACC's GOR was coming soon, effectively walling off those schools.

It could have been the GOR timing that pushed it. Or The Big 10 really wanted Maryland, others wanted in, so the Big Ten pushed them with the high pressure sales approach.

I guess I am wondering who the several other schools were. Buyers remorse I guess. :-) What could have been.

• 1 month later...