A train from Omaha to Lincoln.

We have this very same thing from OKC to Dallas. The cost is only $28 one way. I think they have 2 trips back and forth daily and only have 4 double decker cars that sells beer. This is also a 3 hour tour but well worth it.

Actually OKC, Norman, Paul Valley, Ardmore, Gainesville TX and Ft. Worth route, not Assassination City (Dallas). And one round-trip instead of two.

http://www.heartland...tion/schedules/

It would be interesting to see the feasability study done from the grad student. Light rails and other newer mass transit systems work out because they get a ton of federal funding. Generally, people that live in Nebraska will choose to drive places, rather than take a train. A "Husker" train could be something fun to do once or twice, but the novelty might wear off, especially if it's not convenient for people to use.

Say, you have to drive 15-20 minutes to the Omaha train station, make sure you are 10 minutes early to catch the train, a 45 minute train ride, and then another 15 minute walk to where you want to get to go, that's over 1 1/2 hours just to get from Omaha to Lincoln. Yes, you would be able to drink, and not have to worry about parking in Lincoln, but I don't know if people will trade off their convenience for that.

• Fire 1
It would be interesting to see the feasability study done from the grad student. Light rails and other newer mass transit systems work out because they get a ton of federal funding. Generally, people that live in Nebraska will choose to drive places, rather than take a train. A "Husker" train could be something fun to do once or twice, but the novelty might wear off, especially if it's not convenient for people to use.

Say, you have to drive 15-20 minutes to the Omaha train station, make sure you are 10 minutes early to catch the train, a 45 minute train ride, and then another 15 minute walk to where you want to get to go, that's over 1 1/2 hours just to get from Omaha to Lincoln. Yes, you would be able to drink, and not have to worry about parking in Lincoln, but I don't know if people will trade off their convenience for that.

You hate fun and have probably killed a human.

Plus it'd be nice for those who commute during the week

Do a lot of people do this?

We have this very same thing from OKC to Dallas. The cost is only $28 one way. I think they have 2 trips back and forth daily and only have 4 double decker cars that sells beer. This is also a 3 hour tour but well worth it.

I try to avoid 3 hour tours

My dad and his friends used to ride the train from Omaha to Lincoln

IIRC- he's dead now- he said that it was a lot of fun

Guys drinking, having a good time, guys playing accordians

BUT, the problems they had:

Guys throwing bottles out the windows at signs

They had a lot of people sneaking on- taking of tickets was managed poorly

Some guy fell off the train- really inebriated

Would hope someone could figure it out

Now, I think because it would be an "event" that it would be responded to very very well.

If it was 25 dollars back then, I would have to think 40-50 would work now.

Who knows, I just think it would be fun, I would not use it for every single game, but, I would do it once a year for sure.

A good train between Lincoln and Omaha would be a great idea anyway, apart from football games. You have two downtown areas that are growing in vibrancy, two mid-sized cities that are growing toward each other anyway, a fair number of commuters between the two cities, and one city with a decent airport and one with a barely passable dinky piece of crap expensive airport. Party trains on gameday would just be icing on the cake for improving Lincoln's accessibility and relevance.

Hell, Lincoln even has a local manufacturer that builds commuter train cars (Kawasaki). Wouldn't it be great for the locals to be able to see and use first-hand what they have built?

As a resident of Omaha who works in Lincoln, I'd love this not only for game day travel (seriously, I-80 on game day is so bad I resort to highway 6), but just for commuting in general. I read somewhere that 40,000 people commute between the two cities every day. You'd think there'd be some money making potential there.

You know, I never really have issues on I-80 when I go to the game, just on the way back. But, I also like taking 6 to get there.

IMO, it's much worse when we have an 11am game in Lincoln, because 90% of Omaha's delegation will be hitting the road sometime in between 7 and 9. If it's a night or afternoon game, that' allows people to sorta trickle in.