How much power does a judge really have?

Absurd names can quickly become burdensome to society, and judges do have the job to smack down the wackos and idiots who make extraordinary attempts to break societal conventions and be weird for the sake of being weird and causing problems.

I would love to have real-world examples defending this sentence. What "burdens" have unusual names given to "society?"

Absurd names can quickly become burdensome to society, and judges do have the job to smack down the wackos and idiots who make extraordinary attempts to break societal conventions and be weird for the sake of being weird and causing problems.

I would love to have real-world examples defending this sentence. What "burdens" have unusual names given to "society?"

prince_symbol.gifHow would you like to be the DMV employee responsible for getting this guy's name onto his driver's license?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063487/Parents-named-children-Adolf-Hitler-Aryan-Nation-wont-receive-custody-newborn-son-Hons.html

That took like 12 seconds to find.

Me too. Unfortunately I'd expect it'd be hard to collect data on denied name changes...but maybe we have some court clerks around here?

Trying to change your name to a symbol, number, non-latin alphabet characters, trademarked name, celebrity name, really long name with lots of characters, phases, etc..

Basically if your desired name doesn't fit normal naming conventions, you make it hard for the rest of society to use your name.

And what is a name, if not something that is supposed to be used by everyone else?

A person's name is not really theirs.

It's something society uses to label you and distinguish you from that other guy.

A solitary person on an island has no use for a name. It's only when we desire to interact with others we require personal names.

So this "freedom" to be able to choose your own name is really not a personal freedom/right. It's closer to a privilege provided by society.

Call yourself whatever you want in your own home or on your own island, but if you want to interact with others in society, you need a name that others can use without undo burden on them.

--

For the record, if you want to legally change your name to "Knapplc HuskerBoard-Mod", I support that.

This guy's name might be a burden to society. Or maybe it's just him. :D .

Man who changed name to Beezow Doo-doo Zopittybop-bop-bop faces 5 years in prison on drug charges

Beezow, born Jeffrey Drew Wilschke, faces a felony charge of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, possession of drug paraphernalia and operation of a motor vehicle without registration.

This isn't the first time Beezow has made national news. His name became fodder for late-night jokes when he was arrested in 2012 in a Madison, Wis., park on similar drug charges.

In an interview last year, Beezow told the Wisconsin State Journal that his first name represents "the explosion of awareness of the interconnectedness of the infinite love in the universe." Doo-doo, he said, "is the struggle of our daily lives with that awareness, that with love comes chaos."

And Zopittybop-bop-bop "is the outcome of that struggle, which is often ironic, especially because all life ends in death," Beezow said.

• Fire 1

http://www.dailymail...n-son-Hons.html

Awesome. :D You should have spent another 12 seconds actually reading the article.

But court records last year stated that both of the children's parents had been victims themselves of childhood abuse and while unemployed, were suffering from unspecified physical and psychological disabilities.

Court records also show that Adolf, five, frequently threatened to kill people.

The mother reportedly had also once given a note to her neighbour saying she was terrified of her husband who had threatened to kill her.

http://www.dailymail...n-son-Hons.html

Awesome. :D You should have spent another 12 seconds actually reading the article.

But court records last year stated that both of the children's parents had been victims themselves of childhood abuse and while unemployed, were suffering from unspecified physical and psychological disabilities.

Court records also show that Adolf, five, frequently threatened to kill people.

The mother reportedly had also once given a note to her neighbour saying she was terrified of her husband who had threatened to kill her.

Exactly. Thanks for helping out.

And who gets to define an "absurd" name?

Judges. That's what this entire thread is about.

I'd love to read about this more from a judge's point of view. I'm sure they seem some really silly names come through that they end up approving...but you know they deny some and I wonder if they even need to give a reason - or simply pull out the red ink 'Denied' stamp.

I'd love to read about this more from a judge's point of view. I'm sure they seem some really silly names come through that they end up approving...but you know they deny some and I wonder if they even need to give a reason - or simply pull out the red ink 'Denied' stamp.

The issue with the judge in this thread was that the parents were arguing about the LAST name of the child. She just took it upon herself to invoke her religious beliefs and change the FIRST name of the of the child from Messiah to Martin.

A judge can deny a name change request. We all get that. But can a judge really just decide on something when it is not brought before them in court and make a call like this?

Super, so a bunch of old, largely white people get to decide what names are worthwhile?

Super, so a bunch of old, largely white people get to decide what names are worthwhile?

Junior,

I tend to agree with your questioning of this. However, don't be a friggen idiot and end up in front of a judge ASKING him/her to decide on a name for the kid and you won't have to worry about it.