Wisconsin/Nebraska 2012 replay

Fuzzy

Regular season game is on, and I have to say, this game was ugly in the first half. It's funny how reflecting back you tend to catch more mistakes by the Huskers. The bullet dodged when Fisher blew his cover on Ball, but thankfully he didn't make the catch for a TD. Baptiste running into the punter on 4th and 18 giving the Badgers an automatic first down.

I've come to appreciate how Compton was able to keep the defense in check with the many motions and fakes to try and throw the defense off. It makes me wonder if we will have that same kind of success from the mike LB this year being able to accurately direct the defensive front seven when it comes to motions and fakes.

The game is on BTN by the way.

With a healthy Stein and Randle they really couldn't run much power on us. Unfortunately later in the year they found they could exploit our lack of speed and open-field tackling ability.

Yeah the one thought I have after rewatching this game is that I can't fathom how the rematch was sooooo bad. The Blackshirts dominated the Wisconsin O for more than 2 quarters, I think it was one Wisconsin's lowest rushing outputs in awhile. Stein and Co dominated upfront, it is clear that the lack of depth and injuries killed them the second time around.

Wisconsin did some things in game 2 that they didnt do in game 1

On offense, they threw the kitchen sink at NU- including the Swinging Gate/ Lonesome Polecat, more unbalanced sets and lots more Jet Sweeps

On defense- cant remember it all, but they used that amoeba movement approach on the line on obvious passing downs- totally confused our OL

The Conference Championship Game came down to the fact that Wisconsin showed up to play, and Nebraska showed up to win. We were short on bodies in the D Line (remember Cam had to move inside and play as a tackle) and our line was just a mess. That, combined with the news leaking out that some defenders were simply playing their own game out there, leaving others screwed on coverages and responsibilities, it's not really that surprising we utterly crapped the bed.

Wisconsin did some things in game 2 that they didnt do in game 1

On offense, they threw the kitchen sink at NU- including the Swinging Gate/ Lonesome Polecat, more unbalanced sets and lots more Jet Sweeps

On defense- cant remember it all, but they used that amoeba movement approach on the line on obvious passing downs- totally confused our OL

What I've noticed about that game now is really, we shot ourselves in the foot early and often. It really was more our mistakes on that game-opening run than anything. Then the pick 6 right away after. They got us on our heals a bit, then they threw the book at us, got a big lead, and then proceeded to pound on our D who was just emotionally and mentally drained by that time. Not only from the previous 6 weeks, but also from the first quarter and a half. It was just a complete flurry. Then our offense couldnt do anything to help. Just a weird game the more I watch it and compare it to the first meeting.

Do you guys think there's any truth to the notion that as soon as Wisconsin won the Purdue game they started spending their time game-planning for us again? I mean they legitimately had five games to close out the season where they knew they would make the championship game - I don't know how realistic that is but it's something I think about.

Do you guys think there's any truth to the notion that as soon as Wisconsin won the Purdue game they started spending their time game-planning for us again? I mean they legitimately had five games to close out the season where they knew they would make the championship game - I don't know how realistic that is but it's something I think about.

Probable

The body language and facial expressions of the Wisconsin kids before the game- looked VERY confident

Almost like the NU players prior to the 95 Florida game- the kids just knew they were prepared and going to win in blowout fashion

Sometimes as a player/team, you just know

I think after we beat Penn State (we had Minnesota and Iowa left), it was a virtual lock that we'd be playing again, and they started gameplanning for us.

I think after we beat Penn State (we had Minnesota and Iowa left), it was a virtual lock that we'd be playing again, and they started gameplanning for us.

Perhaps. But they might have just done a good job scouting us, finding a weakness (or a dozen) and kept exploiting it. Re-watching the MSU game and they ran a jet sweep that went for 10-12 yards and was close to really breaking it - just barely ran out of room going up the sideline. I think they picked up on us having trouble getting re-lined up with a bunch of shifts and, when they found out we couldn't handle the jet sweep, just kept running it.

Damn Stafford. I will agree they started to prepare early, but there's no way in hell you can be prepared for one guy to single-handidly hand you 40+ yard score after 40+ yard score with his constant poor angles and lackluster tackling efforts. after analyzing this game a couple more times recently just to see, I would like to ask Bo Pelini someday why this man was on the field beyond the 2nd possession of the game. i know many other players screwed things up to, but my goodness, time and time again, he took angles that appeared as if he was playin pop-warner ball. I'm still mind-boggled at what happened over there.