Game view observations

BIG ERN

We were moving down the field in giant chunks with 6 minutes left in the game. All we had to do was run the middle and at the very least kick a ~35 yd field goal and we're kicking off with 5 minutes left, a 40-21 lead and mop-up squads in. WYO finishes with a game effort and ~400 yards. Instead, that ridiculous pass play is called and Taylor gives up a horrible interception, returned to midfield. WYO is given hope, comes out fired up and the husker D just wants to be done with this furking game and jogs around looking gassed.

On the whole, I think the D executed the game plan of keeping Smith contained, making him throw the ball and not letting him scramble down the field. I think they expected to give up some yards, maybe not quite that many, but this game would not have been nearly as close had we just stuck with the ground game.

I have hope that the offensive rhythm will improve and that the defense will get better with some reps and some film room time. Missed tackles are going to be a problem once again, but I definitely saw better speed and athleticism. The confusion is still there as well.

I am cautiously optimistic we can outscore UCLA. Cross is the real deal.

We were moving down the field in giant chunks with 6 minutes left in the game. All we had to do was run the middle and at the very least kick a ~35 yd field goal and we're kicking off with 5 minutes left, a 40-21 lead and mop-up squads in. WYO finishes with a game effort and ~400 yards. Instead, that ridiculous pass play is called and Taylor gives up a horrible interception, returned to midfield. WYO is given hope, comes out fired up and the husker D just wants to be done with this furking game and jogs around looking gassed.

On the whole, I think the D executed the game plan of keeping Smith contained, making him throw the ball and not letting him scramble down the field. I think they expected to give up some yards, maybe not quite that many, but this game would not have been nearly as close had we just stuck with the ground game.

I have hope that the offensive rhythm will improve and that the defense will get better with some reps and some film room time. Missed tackles are going to be a problem once again, but I definitely saw better speed and athleticism. The confusion is still there as well.

I am cautiously optimistic we can outscore UCLA. Cross is the real deal.

To the bolded, "say wha?!" You mean people thinking he was some garbage slow only 3rd down back could possibly be wrong? No way lol. I wanna make a Cross love thread. :P

Early in the 4th I thought we were quite close to blowing this one wide open. Things sort of spiraled out of control. It wasn't as if Wyoming was controlling the game. But the 4th quarter got crazy and they got in a position to be a miraculous closing drive away from tying or winning. That's still pretty bad.

But we weren't so far away from putting this game away and not worrying or having these conversations. In that context, I think it's best that the team did get exposed like this. Nothing worse than unmerited overconfidence from an OOC easy win.

This is what I thought also, that bs call against Gregory was the turning point. We were about to get the ball back and the O was in a groove, I figured we would be up 24 soon and get to see Armstrong. Instead they get a bs 1st down and go on to score a TD.

Wyoming missed a 50 yard field goal on that drive.

Yeah you are right, got the series mixed up with another. When Mitchell went out and Davie came in and they scored on a swing pass, that was what I was thinking of.

• AND my biggest gripe --- We didn't play Anderson who I think is our best LB. Don't tell me he couldn't have run with that personnel

So does anyone know what the story is with Zaire? Reinjured, or did he somehow get beat-out as the LB in the dime package by Gerry (who has never played LB and is in his first game out of high school)?

• AND my biggest gripe --- We didn't play Anderson who I think is our best LB. Don't tell me he couldn't have run with that personnel

So does anyone know what the story is with Zaire? Reinjured, or did he somehow get beat-out as the LB in the dime package by Gerry (who has never played LB and is in his first game out of high school)?

We were in dime almost exclusively from what I saw and as such ZA never really got a chance to get on the field.

1994 NU vs WYO. Anybody remember? 14-0 Wyo at end of 1st quarter and 21-14 halftime. Final 42-32 NU. Peters, Wistrom, etc. Just sayin'.............

That game was an anomaly though ...Berringers first game after TF clot, he had a punctured lung, Wistrom was just a true frosh (did he even play) J Peter didnt play ...last nights game was the 3rd game in row of our D getting abused ....hopefully they learn something

I don't know the story with Zaire, but Gerry was a difference maker on the field against Wyoming.

You're like a broken record...which is sad.

This defense is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN LAST YEARS. The entire personnel has been swapped. Stop saying it's the same.

Dev, just give it a rest already. We already had this EXACT discussion in another thread, so I don't see why you found it necessary to bring it up AGAIN IN CAPITAL LETTERS rather than just let it be. I think you're wrong, I've said I think you're wrong, and you're not going to convince me that your wrongness is correct. So please, keep swimming in your cesspool of ill-advised opinions instead of dredging up a post to something I commented on the day after the game.

Who keeps saying this is the "exact same" defense, by the way? I said the results are the same. Quote it. Or, are you just pulling nonsensical ideas out of your muddled opinion bank?

You're like a broken record...which is sad.

This defense is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN LAST YEARS. The entire personnel has been swapped. Stop saying it's the same.

Dev, just give it a rest already. We already had this EXACT discussion in another thread, so I don't see why you found it necessary to bring it up AGAIN IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

Hence the broken record reference. When a record skips over and over...it repeats. Just like you. Sorry you don't like me calling you out ;)

As I said, give it a rest. I disagree with you and your face-value, ill-advised opinions. Every time you try and prove me or anyone else on this board wrong you end up looking like you have no idea what you're talking about. Hell, we're trying to help you, dev.

Well, not completely different. Everyone knows there's a lot of fresh faces (many of whom have been around a couple years to learn the system, by the way), but if you have to exaggerate to prove your point, it's probably not a good point.

Like you said...we've had numerous discussions in multiple threads where you said the exact same thing...so I said you sounded like a broken record...this reference is sound and factual. Perhaps you could have just said, "yeah, I have been saying that a lot right? I probably do sound like a broken record." Everyone would have moved on. Instead you tell me I am trying 'to prove you wrong' and I'll 'end up looking like I have no idea what you're [i'm] talking about'.

In my opinion, you need to be a bit more relaxed dude...everyone is not out to get you. And when someone calls you out and they're right, you might just eat a slice of some humble pie, agree with them, and everyone will move on.

Now I'll take my 'Ill advised opinions' to a different thread.

Dev, if someone calls me out, disagrees, and has a good point, I'll accept it.

You rarely do, and especially right now, I don't think you're right. Why in the name of Hell would I eat this faux humble pie and agree with you?

What I care about is you nonsense-blasting your way into the threads I post in and picking fights when you have no idea what you're talking about, especially when we had the same discussion in another thread. Did you think I was just going to sit here and say 'oh, that devnet, what a character!' when you call me a broken record? And then you posted the same nonsense I said I disagreed with already?

We've had numerous discussions where I think you have no idea what you're talking about - sound and factual.

sometimes, you have to exaggerate the point when people don't get it. ;)

I think it's YOU who doesn't get it. Pulling up threads that have been dead for a week in order to throw out a random insult is trolling. The target of your insult is clearly not interested in entertaining your argument. Now please go away so that the rest of us can read and comment about the NEXT GAME which will be on in a few hours. ;)

People dont forget that the Huskers were up 31-14 at the begging of the 4th quarter. I think thats were the inexperience kicked in and the players on defense figured it was in the bag and they let up. There was alot of bad last night, but lets not melt down and lets see what the rest of the season has in store for us.

Also take in to account that there is a good possibility that the whole team looked past Wyoming and is/was more focused on UCLA. These kind of games can do a team alot of good sometimes. It grounds them and helps them focus for the rest of the season

That could be part of it, but we still gave up 400 yards heading into the fourth quarter. And these aren't new issues. They've been recurring themes for years now. I'm certainly trying to avoid too much over-reaction, and I'm definitely leaving room for this team to improve and show what it's capable of. But, I said that last year after UCLA. I said it the year before after Wisconsin. I believe there's just as much room for criticism, if not more, than for optimism at this point.

You should be cautious about over-reacting to a 600 yard game. You should also be cautious about under-reacting to four 600+ yard games in less than a year.

You should be cautious about saying that this years defense with an entirely different set of players is the exact same as last years defense.

I never said that, but the results are the same as the last two games last year.