Recruiting or Player Development?

So, from what I gather, it stoked me that Nebraska fans aren't *thrilled* with Bo, but not overly unhappy. It's a feeling that he's a good coach, but not great. I feel that he just doesn't get the results that Husker fans want. I know I want more. I guess I have 2 questions...

1. Is my feeling right?

2. If 1 is "yes," than is the problem that NU isn't getting the talent they need, or is it that the coaches aren't developing the talent to championship level?

This post is simply to generate discussion. Despite my primary allegiance of TAMU, I hope this board realizes I am an NU fan as a result of my wife and I always cheer for the Huskers.

Great question. I guess being stuck in California doesn't give me the best perspective, but from what I can see, it appears that the coaching staff is doing a solid job at developing talent. I think the problem revolves around NU not being able to land the big time talent. Every year we seem to load up with 2 and 3 star players that end up having solid playing time and contributions. I think that fans issues are more focused on not getting the top notch players according to scout and rivals. Most of that is all opinion based anyways and doesn't matter as much as people would think. I guess I would love to see more stars too, but I'm not sure that all falls on Bo entirely. Just my 2 pennies.....

The real problem is unrealistic fan expectations.

Comparing a post Callahan Nebraska trying to rebuild its image to Devaney and Osborne in their prime.

Expecting a defense full of true freshman to play like seasoned veterans in their first college game with just a few weeks of practice.

Comparing a close, hard fought game against a plucky Wyoming to Wisconsin and Michigan rolling FCS squads; and wondering why we didn't do the same against a tougher team.

• Fire 1

Comparing a post Callahan Nebraska trying to rebuild its image to Devaney and Osborne in their prime.

Expecting a defense full of true freshman to play like seasoned veterans in their first college game with just a few weeks of practice.

Comparing a close, hard fought game against a plucky Wyoming to Wisconsin and Michigan rolling FCS squads; and wondering why we didn't do the same against a tougher team.

There is no excuse for giving up 600 yards of offense to any team, let alone Wyoming. I haven't even watched the game yet, but that's completely unacceptable.

We actually have mostly all 4 stars playing on the D now. Not sure where people are getting this 2 and 3 star talk from. The 3 stars are high 3 stars as well. We have the athletes. This is the most athletic we have looked since 2010 IMO.

We are just young. Very young at a few key positions namely LB, and they picked on it all night. We played 4 true freshman and 5 RS freshman last night. They showed alot of good things. They are going to need time. I admit I was shocked, and thought they would be further along than that, but when you really think about it, that's alot to ask of 4 guys that were attending their prom 4 months ago, and 5 others making their first appearances. Going to take atleast half the season for them to feel comfortable, and a lot longer to actually know everything they need to know.

Growing pains, we knew this was going to happen. The part that's making it look worse is Beck's piss poor management of the offense. Had we put up 50 like we should have, it's not as big of an issue, and the D plays better IMO.

We have to be the most impatient selfish fan base in the county.

Exactly.

We actually have mostly all 4 stars playing on the D now. Not sure where people are getting this 2 and 3 star talk from. The 3 stars are high 3 stars as well. We have the athletes. This is the most athletic we have looked since 2010 IMO.

We are just young. Very young at a few key positions namely LB, and they picked on it all night. We played 4 true freshman and 5 RS freshman last night. They showed alot of good things. They are going to need time. I admit I was shocked, and thought they would be further along than that, but when you really think about it, that's alot to ask of 4 guys that were attending their prom 4 months ago, and 5 others making their first appearances. Going to take atleast half the season for them to feel comfortable, and a lot longer to actually know everything they need to know.

Growing pains, we knew this was going to happen. The part that's making it look worse is Beck's piss poor management of the offense. Had we put up 50 like we should have, it's not as big of an issue, and the D plays better IMO.

I counted a number of plays (i posted it somewhere right when I finished counting and now I can remember exactly what it was) close to 20? in which we had 6 true/redshirt freshman on the field at once, included all 4 dlineman.

I counted a number of plays (i posted it somewhere right when I finished counting and now I can remember exactly what it was) close to 20? in which we had 6 true/redshirt freshman on the field at once, included all 4 dlineman.

That's rough, but will lead to a very salty D in a year or two.

I just don't remember reading how much all of you thought Nebraska was going to struggle with Wyoming. If the average idiot Husker fan like myself had just heard the words of some of you to temper expectations it might have helped. I mean, you guys saw it coming all along, for the life of me I never heard a single one of you before the game say how we should expect Wyoming to put 600 plus yards on us.

So now that we have it straight, we average Husker fans should expect a tough couple of years now until these freshmen grow up. Maybe by their junior and senior years huh?

Maybe next time you give us the heads up before the fact huh? For fux sake what a joke.....

• Fire 1

Agmarauder it's really not complicated. Bo was hired at a time where our defense was considered the weakest in Husker history. He was the man to fix that as us Husker fans take pride in our defense aka. Blacksirts. Now in year six we have four games in the most yards allowed all time by this "defensive coach". I haven't heard a lot of the we want Bo gone talk. That seems more of a made up argument for some of these guys to add drama to their lives. No, the average fan has seen some of these failures as an opportunity for Bo to learn. Maybe even make some changes to his scheme, his staff, his approach to coaching defense, recruiting, maybe a change to his bend don't break philosophy. After a season like last year, which was record breaking for all the wrong reasons, I think fans expected some changes to be implemented. Now, all is not lost, we are only a week in, but to start a,season in Memorial stadium going to the wire with Wyoming in a defensive flop was hard to swallow.

Now the question is how do we respond and does this stubborn coach show any willingness to change. In an entire off season it appears stubbornness may be prevailing.

If take wins like last night every Saturday and twice on Sunday.

If we start the season 6-0 or so, which is very possible, what will everyone e saying?

Wins are wins and I really truly don't expect us to roll hardly any team 56-10 anymore. I just don't.

I think we are getting good talent, good development and as the season rolls along we'll get a lot of wins too. However there are times I scratch my head wondering why the hell we still have some of the problems we have.

I think it boils down to coaching, IMHO. But I honestly wouldn't trade our 50 wins under Bo along w the graduation rate, lack of off field issues, or the strides made from the ship wreck of Callahan.

I could care less about 600 yds. We dominated a large portion of that game and saw real adjustments at half to shore up the run D.

Lets see how we progress w all the young guys before we declare we'll finish 4-8. I like where we're going this year and the next few.

I completely disagree. It's unrealistic to expect your defense to hold an inferior team to less than 600 yards of total offense? It's unrealistic to expect your defense to not give up more than a mile of total offense in the last three games combined?

The reality of the situation is we've gotten progressively worse on defense since Suh left, and at what point do you draw the line and say these types of defensive performances are unacceptable? Even though it's game one, I think that point in time is now. I'm leaving them room to improve, and I'm giving the coaches an opportunity. But, I did the same thing after UCLA in 2012. I did the same thing after Wisconsin in 2011.

We'll see what happens as the year goes on, and I'll happily eat crow if they tighten up and improve. But even with our youth, last night's performance is unacceptable in any situation.