Getting a good read on the defense

tmfr15

I think Bo and Dabo came in about the same time. Bo has brought in friends with little experience over and I think he has needed good help since he got here. Dabo runs the ship, he hired top end Coordinators, nearly if not the highest paid in the country. It is working for Clemson, why not here.

I think Pauchis is a yes man, nothing more. A wasted coaching slot. I do not feel Bo is this great defensive genius he is claimed to be. Hire a good D coordinator. Bo is improving in recruiting, shown by the O and I think he is developing players on that side. He can do this job, but is overwhelmed, and hires buddies. A good manager delegates with qualified assistants. Bo needs to learn this.

• Fire 1

I think Bo and Dabo came in about the same time. Bo has brought in friends with little experience over and I think he has needed good help since he got here. Dabo runs the ship, he hired top end Coordinators, nearly if not the highest paid in the country. It is working for Clemson, why not here.

I think Pauchis is a yes man, nothing more. A wasted coaching slot. I do not feel Bo is this great defensive genius he is claimed to be. Hire a good D coordinator. Bo is improving in recruiting, shown by the O and I think he is developing players on that side. He can do this job, but is overwhelmed, and hires buddies. A good manager delegates with qualified assistants. Bo needs to learn this.

Dabo ended up with a losing record in 2010......and Pelini beat him in their head to head matchup in a bowl.

Dabo became the HC in 2009. Since then he is 40-21 overall. Been to the ACC CG twice and won 1. He has won or played for 3 Atlantic division titles. 2 years top 15 BCS final standings and signature wins over LSU and UGA. He also has the two highest paid coordinators in college football. (Morris and Venables) Not too mention back to back 10 win seasons. He knew he needed the experienced staff to help him and he got it.

Wife is a Clemson grad so my 2nd team I follow.

It is not the offense's fault that the defense can't get off the field. In fact, Nebraska led in Time of Possession, 36 min to 24 min.

Wrapped into that was the fact that Wyoming got 35 first downs, but six of them (SIX!) came via penalty, including the absurd "Roughing the Passer" call against Gregory.

The following statement is not meant IN ANY WAY TO allege that the refs nearly cost us this game, but the reality is, most other crews don't call that penalty on Gregory. Most other crews call several more holding calls on Wyoming than this crew (there are tons, as I'm rewatching the game looking for them). The reffing was terrible, but that's not why Wyoming gained 600 yards on offense. That's entirely on us. The reffing just didn't help much.

But don't you think if they did call more holding penalties that Wyoming would have had to adjust which would have helped our guys be able to fight off blocks. I know the 600 yards is mostly the defense's fault, but it's hard to fight off blocks when you are constantly being held (and the holds became more and more obvious as the game goes along).

And when was the last time Bo beat anyone else that mattered. The last SEC he beat or was even close to. Comparing them off of first year is silly. One has climbed every single year, the other not so much.

Dabo has not climbed every single year. His losing record was in 2010. His last two seasons have been great. I think Dabo's doing a great job. I think Pelini is as well.

Pelini will adjust on Offense, but not defense. After the multiple turnover loss to Iowa State, Pelini forced SW to run a basic offense. Then he forced SW to go to the zone read, and then Pelini replaced SW. The defense has been going downhill for 3 years, and there have been no changes.

Smith said he knew everything Nebraska's defense was going to do based on how they lined up. But no worries. The defense dominated in '09, it's not the scheme.

• Fire 4

Pelini will adjust on Offense, but not defense. After the multiple turnover loss to Iowa State, Pelini forced SW to run a basic offense. Then he forced SW to go to the zone read, and then Pelini replaced SW. The defense has been going downhill for 3 years, and there have been no changes.

Smith said he knew everything Nebraska's defense was going to do based on how they lined up. But no worries. The defense dominated in '09, it's not the scheme.

The joke during the Pipeline years was that every opponent knew what we were running offensively, they simple couldn't stop it......the old saying about Jimmy's and Joe's. I mean sure, blitz packages get disguised.....but the scheme is not the issue. It's why there's been a heavy emphasis on recruiting the past two years.

The joke during the Pipeline years was that every opponent knew what we were running offensively, they simple couldn't stop it......the old saying about Jimmy's and Joe's. I mean sure, blitz packages get disguised.....but the scheme is not the issue. It's why there's been a heavy emphasis on recruiting the past two years.

I honestly don't think Wyoming is anywhere near the same level as us talent-wise. So no, that doesn't hold up at all. And frankly it's unfair to the players to continue to push all the blame on them when it's plainly obvious the scheme is the issue.

Honest question. Do you think Bo hasn't altered the scheme at least once or twice since 2009? Hell, or even since the Wisconsin game?

Honest question. Do you think Bo hasn't altered the scheme at least once or twice since 2009? Hell, or even since the Wisconsin game?

The only example I can think of is when we played more zone to contain Robinson last season. And guess what, it kinda worked. What are some other examples?

On another note, did Martinez look really lethargic the whole game. I had to watch it on B1G to go online so it wasn't the greatest, but he really looked slow

I posted in the game thread that TM looked slower this year. Someone else mentioned that he was favoring his arm before the play that appeared to injure it. It could be that he had arm arm injury coming into the game and was running tentative.

Unless Pelini starts recruiting from the NFL this scheme is not going to work.

I am sure there have been some minor adjustments, but nothing major. I see the same plan of attack from different opponents. The results speak for themselves. Four of the worst 10 defensive performances in Husker history have come in the last 14 games. Six hundred plus yards in 3 games in a row, and a new record for the number of 1st downs allowed (35). If major adjustments have been made, then we urgently need new defensive coaches.

• Fire 1