A little food for thought about the direction of this program

Husker B

Do not get me wrong, I have never liked Pelini. He is arrogant, stubborn and authoritative. Rude could be included.

How does your husband feel about him?

He's a g'damn football coach. You want a friend? Get a dog.

No doubt. Because EVERY other coach that wins is the complete opposite of Pelini.

We all know Nick Saban, Will Muschamp, Brady Hoke, Urban Meyer, Charlie Strong, and every other coach in the NCAA never yell at their players like that meany head Bo.

Do not get me wrong, I have never liked Pelini. He is arrogant, stubborn and authoritative. Rude could be included.

How does your husband feel about him?

He's a g'damn football coach. You want a friend? Get a dog.

No doubt. Because EVERY other coach that wins is the complete opposite of Pelini.

We all know Nick Saban, Will Muschamp, Brady Hoke, Urban Meyer, Charlie Strong, and every other coach in the NCAA never yell at their players like that meany head Bo.

Yeah. It's all hugs and kisses with those guys. I think they bring every player fresh baked cookies every morning, too.

I do not want Coach Pelini fired, I do not think this program can stand it. But for fans not to see there are problems, I just do not understand. I have heard the best defense we have ever had a couple of times. I truly bought in this year, and I am not saying that it can not turn into a good defense. If this happens against UCLA, there are going to be real problems for Bo.

If you don't want him fired, then stop pissing and moaning about him.

Im going to reserve judgement on this defense till after the UCLA game. Didnt show anything last week and probably not going to show a whole lot this week, and then the entire offensive and defensive playbook will be opened up for UCLA. Until I see what we look like against them Im going to continue to stay positive.

That's a pretty good attitude and the one I am trying to take also.

DIdn't we have a thread a couple months ago comparing the 2006 team, to our 2012 team. A solid but not spectacular season, with a couple pathetic defensive performances that started to show the major flaws in the program suggesting the possible continuation of our defensive struggles into 2013? A good recruiting class in 2005 positioning the 2007 team for and influx of talent which provide a lot of hope? Bad loss in the championship game, hard fought bowl loss. Sound familiar? Everyone laughed it off, said we had better athletes this time around. No Cosgrove. Wasn't going to happen. Well, Wyoming (Ball State 2007) just happened, will UCLA (Missouri 2007) continue the similarities?

• Fire 1

DIdn't we have a thread a couple months ago comparing the 2006 team, to our 2012 team. A solid but not spectacular season, with a couple pathetic defensive performances that started to show the major flaws in the program suggesting the possible continuation of our defensive struggles into 2013? A good recruiting class in 2005 positioning the 2007 team for and influx of talent which provide a lot of hope? Bad loss in the championship game, hard fought bowl loss. Sound familiar? Everyone laughed it off, said we had better athletes this time around. No Cosgrove. Wasn't going to happen. Well, Wyoming (Ball State 2007) just happened, will UCLA (Missouri 2007) continue the similarities?

Schedule isn't as hard as 2007, imo.

I don't think a number of superficial similarities portends much, chris...additionally, the 2007 squad's problem was that they completely fell apart and quit under Callahan. I don't see this happening to Bo, who is a stronger leader, and has kept the team rebounding through fairly dire straits before. I don't know if we'll ever achieve truly elite status, but I think it's likely at least that we'll stay solid enough to continue winning a nice, safe 9-10 games a year.

I don't think a number of superficial similarities portends much, chris...additionally, the 2007 squad's problem was that they completely fell apart and quit under Callahan. I don't see this happening to Bo, who is a stronger leader, and has kept the team rebounding through fairly dire straits before. I don't know if we'll ever achieve truly elite status, but I think it's likely at least that we'll stay solid enough to continue winning a nice, safe 9-10 games a year.

If we played elite offenses like we played in 2007, it's not too crazy to think a collapse similar to that would be possible, or even likely. Luckily we play the Big Ten, and not even 2 of the best 3 teams.

Did you miss the Turner thread - we laid down, weren't bringing the fight? Or hear SJB's comments? Or read about about Abdullah's reaction to the game. Or Bell's comments? They quit that game. They quit in the championship last year. Whether it continues remains to be seen, and I'm not sure we have enough to go on to think Bo is a strong leader. Jury is still out on that. I don't doubt that we can win 9 games a year...this is the B1G, likely 4th best right now. But, a lot of people were changing their standard to include "without the usual blowouts and embarrassments". I'm bracing for the possibility of a few of them.

If we played elite offenses like we played in 2007, it's not too crazy to think a collapse similar to that would be possible, or even likely. Luckily we play the Big Ten, and not even 2 of the best 3 teams.

If Wyoming can hang 600 on us, what could Michigan, Northwestern, or UCLA do to us. I'd think even Illinois or Penn State's offense could be comparable talent wise to Wyoming. Maybe even Iowa. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. UCLA has 2 weeks to prep, it could get ugly.

That's just it, at most I see about 3 blowout losses on the schedule. But I don't think Northwestern will be one. They could win the game, they have a big coaching advantage, but we have a big athletic advantage, so it will likely play out like it did the last 2 years.

2 blowout losses. That's the standard. I think we can maintain it.

Teams dont come from behind like they did as many times last season for a coach they dont want to play. This "laying down" that Turner refers to was a result of overlooking an opponent. In 2007, it was because of an obvious rift from coaches to players, coaches to fans, and players to program. There was no pride in anything anymore, from any perspective.

As far as comparing the Wyoming game to something, why cant it be the '97 Central Florida game? Or the '99 Southern Miss game?

That's just it, at most I see about 3 blowout losses on the schedule. But I don't think Northwestern will be one. They could win the game, they have a big coaching advantage, but we have a big athletic advantage, so it will likely play out like it did the last 2 years.

2 blowout losses. That's the standard. I think we can maintain it.

wow, there is a new standard of excellence for us to achieve........

Ann Arbor in November just cannot go well. Nothing would thrill me more than ending Brady Hokes win streak at home but this is a big task to burden our young defense with. Even if we somehow contain UCLA enough to win, a road win against Michigan is jus not in the cards right now.

So with that said, please oh please Big Red, let last weeks meltdown be a secret evil plot to make.UCLA over confident coming in. Hey it could happen right?