Bo usually loses when his defense gives up more than 200 yds rushing.

Fuzzy

Curious if anyone is interested enough to pull up ypc and yards for all of Bo's losses. Put some numbers to the claims.

I'm still compiling data. So this isn't finished.

Missouri - 4.8 ypc 211 rush yds 241 pass yds

Texas - 6.9 ypc 353 rush yds 131 pass yds

K State - 4.7 ypc 248 rush yds 313 pass yds

Oklahoma - 4.8 ypc 193 rush yds 315 pass yds

Tex Tech - 6.0 ypc 137 rush yds 284 pass yds

Missouri - 5.9 ypc 201 rush yds 261 pass yds

V Tech - 3.7 ypc 206 rush yds 171 pass yds

Iowa St - 2.9 ypc 137 rush yds 102 pass yds

Tex Tech - 1.0 ypc 25 rush yds 234 pass yds

V Tech - 2.3 ypc 86 rush yds 192 pass yds

Texas - 0.5 ypc 18 rush yds 184 pass yds

Texas - 4.5 ypc 209 rush yds 62 pass yds

TAMU - 3.4 ypc 138 rush yds 172 pass yds

Oklahoma - 2.9 ypc 112 rush yds 342 pass yds

Wash - 5.2 ypc 268 rush yds 72 pass yds

Wiscon - 4.6 ypc 231 rush yds 255 pass yds

Northwest - 3.8 ypc 207 rush yds 261 pass yds

Mich - 3.9 ypc 238 rush yds 180 pass yds

SoCarol - 3.0 ypc 121 rush yds 230 pass yds

UCLA - 6.1 ypc 344 rush yds 309 pass yds

Ohio St - 7.7 ypc 371 rush yds 127 pass yds

Wiscon - 10,8 ypc 539 rush yds 101 pass yds

Georgia - 4.3 ypc 162 rush yds 427 pass yds

There are only 4 wins in which Bo's defense has given up more than 200 yds rushing.

Baylor 2008 6.5 ypc 216 rush yds

Ohio St. 2011 5.9 ypc 243 rush yds

Mich St. 2012 5.5 ypc 238 rush yds

Wyoming 2013 7.3 ypc 219 rush yds

I looked into Bo's wins as well, and at times we gave up a lot of passing yds but still managed to win. Some games were 200 - 300 yds in the air and still walked out with a win.

Non Husker games

2005 LSU (win) and Auburn - 6.1 ypc 230 rush yds

2005 LSU (loss) and Tenn - 2.1 ypc 70 rush yds

2005 LSU (loss) and Georg - 3.3 ypc 138 rush yds

2006 LSU (loss) and Florida - 3.6 ypc 90 rush yds

2006 LSU (win) and Ark - 7.6 ypc 298 rush yds

2006 LSU (loss) and Ole Miss - 2.3 ypc 100 rush yds

2007 LSU (loss) and Kentucky - 3.0 ypc 125 rush yds

2007 LSU (win) and Ole Miss - 7.2 ypc 201 rush yds

2007 LSU (loss) and Ark - 7.3 ypc 385 rush yds

2004 Sooners (loss) and USC - 6.9 ypc 193 rush yds

• Fire 3

This is not a Nebraska/Bo issue by the way. I would bet the winning percentage of everyone is significantly lower when giving up 200+ yards rushing. Now, yes it is an issue that Bo needs to fix. The rushing defense is an issue. I just dont wanna see this turn into a discussion that Bo's the only one that cant win when giving up that kind of yardage on the ground. That would be an issue for anyone.

• Fire 2

I saw another board an interesting take from Benning ref Wyoming. To paraphrase, he said that after watching the game and presser he thinks things are "fixable". Bo called a VERY plain and generic D with little complexity. Benning surmises it was done in order to put some things on film in order to see who "got" certain schemes, alignments and calls and who didn't. Put the guys in a position and have them "figure" things out themselves. This will allow Bo to move forward with the guys who "got" it and fix the issues that were observed as it relates to wrong call, communication, alignment etc.... Said we have the speed and athleticism and sees a simplifying of the D moving forward and scrapping the 2 gap, allowing guys to go hat on hat. Also said the D we see in a few weeks will not be remote to what we saw against Wyoming.

Again, this was paraphrased and I did not listen to the show. Makes sense if true. BUT, I have heard a lot of the stuff before and am leery.

so we couldn't run a simulation like this in practice this fall?..........lots of "theories" out there......... :ahhhhhhhh

I saw another board an interesting take from Benning ref Wyoming. To paraphrase, he said that after watching the game and presser he thinks things are "fixable". Bo called a VERY plain and generic D with little complexity. Benning surmises it was done in order to put some things on film in order to see who "got" certain schemes, alignments and calls and who didn't. Put the guys in a position and have them "figure" things out themselves. This will allow Bo to move forward with the guys who "got" it and fix the issues that were observed as it relates to wrong call, communication, alignment etc.... Said we have the speed and athleticism and sees a simplifying of the D moving forward and scrapping the 2 gap, allowing guys to go hat on hat. Also said the D we see in a few weeks will not be remote to what we saw against Wyoming.

Again, this was paraphrased and I did not listen to the show. Makes sense if true. BUT, I have heard a lot of the stuff before and am leery.

so we couldn't run a simulation like this in practice this fall?..........lots of "theories" out there......... :ahhhhhhhh

A real game, even against Wyoming, moves a lot faster than any practice or simulation could.

I also read this summation. To add to this, Benning actually sat in on the last coaches meeting on Friday night. BP told his staff the game may be closer than normal because of the way he wanted to call it. Instead of sending in specific instructions to his defense he sent in basic stuff that allowed for them to allow for the team to react and figure it out themselves.

I don't think Pelini thought they were going to be as good as they were.

I think what Benning said could mostly be true, BP seemed very calm after the game and talked about the big jump he expected to make in play from the first to the second game.

• Fire 2

Bo goes on record often expecting all sorts of good things... and they rarely happen. Coach speak.

That said, against a garbage team like Southern Miss it makes improvement almost certain. Right?!

The unfortunate reality is that when the competition is this low a level, a good performance by NU will mean almost nothing. When you play this weak a team, the only insight that one can gain is if NU struggles... at which point things are bad.

Now, with UCLA... that is a reasonable barometer of where the team is.

But with teams like Wyoming and Southern Miss one can learn little (except if there is real struggle even against such poor teams).