Defensive Play Calling vs Southern Miss

I can tell you right now that I"m bettin the schemes and concepts on D were not set up for Wyoming and So Miss. This staff is preparing for UCLA all the way. Biggest tone-setting game this program has had in a while. Coaches have been preparing for UCLA on a dame-near exclusive basis. We found out the hard way that's not very smart against a very underrated Wyoming qb. Theyre designing stuff for UCLA and applying it to game plans for So Miss and Wyoming in order to see where the youngins are and what their capabilities are at full game go. At least this is my opinion. These first two offenses have some similarities to UCLA but theyre different in the UCLA is a little more balanced and will probably utilize the qb run game a bit more. UCLA will be much closer to what we see in conference play. These first two games were more of a sling it around like we saw week after week in the big 12. I anxious, cuz we get to see how we stand up to something we're built for.

Would love to see the look on the UCLA staff when they motion their RB and our backers stay home. I know folks said that Wyoming prepared all spring and fall for us. Hopefully we did the same for UCLA. The key will be our guys reaction to the motion.

I hate to say this but the Ucla game doesn't have much an impact on our season. I hope to god our coaches haven't been scheming all summer around Ucla like has been said. Honestly I don't think we should give anyone team more focus than the other, which is at least what bo has always preached.

• Fire 1

I hate to say this but the Ucla game doesn't have much an impact on our season. I hope to god our coaches haven't been scheming all summer around Ucla like has been said. Honestly I don't think we should give anyone team more focus than the other, which is at least what bo has always preached.

How does it not have an impact? They're the best team we face until Northwestern and we're not okay with losing games, right? Or has that changed? And why shouldn't they have schemed for it? Teams like UCLA are the ones that give us the most trouble, so it will help us with more games down the road, and they're literally the only good team we face until Northwestern.

ll

-6!

Yes. It has a huge impact. These guys are young on D, and veteran on offense. One way or the other, the outcome will have a huge impact on the confidence and motivation on this team (well, maybe not so much motivation). As I said, it's probably the biggest tone-setting noncon game this program has had in god knows how long. Probably have to go back to the USC series 6-7 years ago.

All aside from the simple fact that every game is a big game. We're not just gonna worry less about this one because of the more realistic goal of winning the Legends/Big 10 first.

Two interesting defensive stats:

SoMiss rushing: 84 yards, 0 TDs

Blackshirt interceptions: 81 yards, 2 TDs

That's awesome plus 1. That was definitely a Blackshirt squad out there last night. We had something to prove and we did. I know it was Southern miss but still I came away impressed. Especially Banderas! Gregory, Gerry, Ankrah looked good, hell the whole defensive line looked solid. ZA got some time finally. Cooper looked good again. SJB and Evans. We have some real talent out there. Now we find out about this team next Saturday. This one will tell us a lot. But we asked for progress, and we got it for sure. Props to the team and staff. Good win.

Two interesting defensive stats:

SoMiss rushing: 84 yards, 0 TDs

Blackshirt interceptions: 81 yards, 2 TDs

That's awesome plus 1. That was definitely a Blackshirt squad out there last night. We had something to prove and we did. I know it was Southern miss but still I came away impressed. Especially Banderas! Gregory, Gerry, Ankrah looked good, hell the whole defensive line looked solid. ZA got some time finally. Cooper looked good again. SJB and Evans. We have some real talent out there. Now we find out about this team next Saturday. This one will tell us a lot. But we asked for progress, and we got it for sure. Props to the team and staff. Good win.

Yeah, I thought that was sort of a cool stat when I was looking through the game stats this AM. Props to our DBs and D-line. :thumbs:

I don't want to be negative nancy but southern miss is one of the worst offensive teams in college football. I'm glad the defense played well against a team they should have. But panic will start up again next week because UCLA will put up over 500 yards and 35 points. This game didn't show a lot for me besides doing what should have been done.

I don't want to be negative nancy but southern miss is one of the worst offensive teams in college football. I'm glad the defense played well against a team they should have. But panic will start up again next week because UCLA will put up over 500 yards and 35 points. This game didn't show a lot for me besides doing what should have been done.

Your right they probably will. But their defense will give up 550 yards and 41 points. They have a young defense as well.

How does it not have an impact? They're the best team we face until Northwestern and we're not okay with losing games, right? Or has that changed? And why shouldn't they have schemed for it? Teams like UCLA are the ones that give us the most trouble, so it will help us with more games down the road, and they're literally the only good team we face until Northwestern.

I knew I should have been more detailed in what I was trying to say. What I'm saying is as far as the impact of whether it is a win or loss it doesn't affect whether we win our division or not, which is why I said I hate to say this because there has been a general de-emphasizing of noncon games the last decade. All I'm trying to point out is that it would be pretty dumb of us to have really obsessed about beating one team all offseason, like some posters were saying. If we were going to obsess about beating one team it should be northwestern, Msu, or Michigan. I agree that it is important but honestly it isn't any more important than our other noncon games and this idea of holding things back and playing all sorts meta games in order to best ucla, I hope to god we aren't doing that. It doesn't work anyway you just have to play your best football each week and add more things each week which is really what I think we are doing and definitely what I hope we are doing.

UCLA will be our first test. (At the end of the season, Wyoming might show to have been a test and then some). We have the athletes to run with them unlike last year. To date, I have seen us out of position on some plays, but athleticism allowed us to recover. ie A 60 yrd run goes for 8.

Bo has impressed me after Wyoming in starting Bando at LB. He has shown he understands the need to get the speed on the field. I expect the same against UCLA. I hope (although I have been disappointed as many times as I have been pleased) expect Bo to break out something new against UCLA ala the "spinner" or MSU stand up DL. If Wyoming schemed for us all off season, I would ASSume we schemed for UCLA all off season. I really think Bo believes this game will be the litmus test for the season (I would agree). Looking at the schedule, I would again (prior to Wyoming) think UCLA might be our toughest test. The whole "revenge factor", first big televised game, so many freshman etc...

We have the horses now we just need to let them run.