Brett Hundley

NUance

I think James will be a major challenge. I love his skill set and potentially to be scary good. He will test the LBs in space all game long, especially if the Bruins run their swing pass with the WR picking the defender covering him like how Franklin got most of his receiving yards in last years game.

Secondly I am not afraid of Hundley running all BYU on the defense, but his great ability to extend pass plays when the pocket breaks down. Smith was successful doing this as we all know, but Hundley is WAAAAAY scarier.

Finally I want to see what Gregory can do against a quality tackle. One that is gonna be way more athletic than anything he had seen so

This will be a great challenge, on all levels not one on one matchups

• Fire 2

It isn't like we aren't going to create any match-up issues for them though either. I mentioned the pic play in another thread as well.

This game is really going to come down to who is ready to play and who is better prepared. This early in the season, I consider our added game reps a good thing and more of an advantage than their bye-week.

James is as much better athlete than Franklin ever was. Franklin wasn't even really an elite back until his senior year when he stopped fumbling and learned to run through arm tackles. Jordon James still needs to learn all those things and be more decisive but he has a much higher ceiling than Franklin. Of course he won't hit it in game 2 but my point is simply that as good as the guys we lost last year were, the guys replacing them are more talented but raw (sound familiar?)

• Fire 1

James is as much better athlete than Franklin ever was. Franklin wasn't even really an elite back until his senior year when he stopped fumbling and learned to run through arm tackles. Jordon James still needs to learn all those things and be more decisive but he has a much higher ceiling than Franklin. Of course he won't hit it in game 2 but my point is simply that as good as the guys we lost last year were, the guys replacing them are more talented but raw (sound familiar?)

Yes they have more potential maybe, but James isn't the "talent" Franklin was last year so there is a bit of a drop off. Talent is simply realized potential.

Not exactly. Because the guys we were replacing were just bad in general for the most. It would be like saying we are replacing Lavonte David with Banderas, so we will be better eventually.

We're better now.

The players we replaced them with are more talented, and raw, YES, but they are already better football players also, scheme wise, IQ wise, ability wise, overall. Off the top of my head, Whaley, Fisher, Stafford, PJ, Meredith all wouldn't be starters this year even if they were still on the team.

That's the big difference. We have players coming in that would've replaced them anyway, you guys, that isn't the case, which is obviously a knock on those players and our recruiting, but we hung around with a pretty sh**ty defense last year.

Compton is probably the only one that we can make a case for that would still help this defense.

Not exactly. Because the guys we were replacing were just bad in general for the most. It would be like saying we are replacing Lavonte David with Banderas, so we will be better eventually.

We're better now.

The players we replaced them with are more talented, and raw, YES, but they are already better football players also, scheme wise, IQ wise, ability wise, overall. Off the top of my head, Whaley, Fisher, Stafford, PJ, Meredith all wouldn't be starters this year even if they were still on the team.

That's the big difference. We have players coming in that would've replaced them anyway, you guys, that isn't the case, which is obviously a knock on those players and our recruiting, but we hung around with a pretty sh**ty defense last year.

Compton is probably the only one that we can make a case for that would still help this defense.

Fair points, but I have to ask why did Pelini keep his best players off the field last year if the defense was so bad? We dealt with that kind of thing with Neuheisel but that's sort of why he's fired. I also like to think that the typical freshman-to-sophomore leap for the rest of the offense will compensate for losing Franklin and Fauria, since after all we had 5 freshmen starting on offense that game, and only lost 4 players off the offensive 2-deep.

We're better now.

Fair points, but I have to ask why did Pelini keep his best players off the field last year if the defense was so bad? We dealt with that kind of thing with Neuheisel but that's sort of why he's fired. I also like to think that the typical freshman-to-sophomore leap for the rest of the offense will compensate for losing Franklin and Fauria, since after all we had 5 freshmen starting on offense that game, and only lost 4 players off the offensive 2-deep.

Because by the time we really figured out how bad it could be it was the Ohio St. game and the year was half over. Then we got away with it again for six games before the wheels fell off the last two. Kind of late to burn a redshirt at that point.

We're better now.

Because by the time we really figured out how bad it could be it was the Ohio St. game and the year was half over. Then we got away with it again for six games before the wheels fell off the last two. Kind of late to burn a redshirt at that point.

This AND Bo has admitted that he f'd up by not playing them. Our head coach has literally come out and said he should've played some of them and that he put us behind the 8 ball on that decision.

I fully expect those players to make a jump and I'm sure your OL will be improved - I just think the jump we make on defense is going to be more significant, as our defense has a lot more room to improve than your offense has to improve.