Brett Hundley

NUance

Any guesses who on defense will be given the spy position to hopefully keep Hundley in check?

Bo has said numerous times that there is no such thing as a spy on the field.

But my guess would be Gerry

Yeah, Bo has definitely proven that he will not go with a "spy." But (hopefully) we don't motion all our LBs out of the box so Banderas should be there and - if there is a back to zone-read with - Gerry as well.

Banderas looks huge to me but I honestly haven't paid attention to see how fast he is flowing to the outside. Thoughts?

Any guesses who on defense will be given the spy position to hopefully keep Hundley in check?

Bo has said numerous times that there is no such thing as a spy on the field.

But my guess would be Gerry

Yeah, Bo has definitely proven that he will not go with a "spy." But (hopefully) we don't motion all our LBs out of the box so Banderas should be there and - if there is a back to zone-read with - Gerry as well.

Banderas looks huge to me but I honestly haven't paid attention to see how fast he is flowing to the outside. Thoughts?

It looks to me Bando has already gained some size and he is showing great speed and reaction. He's playing well at the LB thus far.

As soon as we got push-pressure into the backfield, Hundley would dump a swing pass to the RB for positive yards. He has the ability to move the chains with his legs. And he will take shots downfield. But most throws were in the flat. He's going to be tough. I think this year's Husker D is more talented, physical and quicker then what he saw last year though.

Hundley's running ability hardly scares me. He isn't that quick and with more athletes on the field it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Randy Gregory screaming off the edge will be a welcome change from last years video up there...

He will be in his face no doubt about it....

Do ya think they try and double team Gregory!?

Hard to say. Hundley has a large frame and is mobile, so they may try and see if they can iso Gregory and use his speed against him. Let him rush and just push him by Hundley, or rely on Hundleys pocket presence and mobility to escape when needed. The problem with relying on that, is Gregory is pretty damn fast as well, and I'm willing to bet you see Gregory move around on the DL so they are forced to identify him. Our DL is completely different this year and you already have to double VV already, so you'd have to try and chip with a RB or add a TE to double Gregory. Which means you'd have 4 guys taking care of 2 of our DLine, leaving Ankrah/Randle or McMullen/Curry in one on ones which is just as scary if they do their jobs, especially if Bando/Rose/Gerry/Zaire all play the way they can.

Hundley isn't the type of dual threat QB that scares me. He is more Tebow than he is Johnny Manziel. Manziel is scary. Hundley is more powerful and he prefers the pocket. Manziel leaves the pocket all the time, is fast, and keeps his eyes downfield. The added athleticism will also help contain Hundley should he decide to leave the pocket. The slowest linebacker we'll probably have on the field is just as fast as Hundley.

Add in the fact that Franklin is gone and Fauria (probably the worst matchup of the entire year for us) is gone, and I like our chances.

• Fire 2

As soon as we got push-pressure into the backfield, Hundley would dump a swing pass to the RB for positive yards. He has the ability to move the chains with his legs. And he will take shots downfield. But most throws were in the flat. He's going to be tough. I think this year's Husker D is more talented, physical and quicker then what he saw last year though.

Would be pretty surprised if those RB dump passes are open / go for significant gains this year.

What they will probably do with Hundley is use motion, throw short crossing routes, belly passes, and swing tosses to the RB. Since we play nickel with 2 hi, they won't attack the middle much. To keep us honest, they might try to stretch the field on mid-deep sideline passes. That way if they over throw it it goes out of play. We will pick that stuff off in the middle of the field if they try it. It should be a good chess match. This is our third game. It's been circled for some time. I just have to believe our coaches will have our new, young talented defense prepared and up for the challenge.

Hundley's running ability hardly scares me. He isn't that quick and with more athletes on the field it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Randy Gregory screaming off the edge will be a welcome change from last years video up there...

Hard to say. Hundley has a large frame and is mobile, so they may try and see if they can iso Gregory and use his speed against him. Let him rush and just push him by Hundley, or rely on Hundleys pocket presence and mobility to escape when needed. The problem with relying on that, is Gregory is pretty damn fast as well, and I'm willing to bet you see Gregory move around on the DL so they are forced to identify him. Our DL is completely different this year and you already have to double VV already, so you'd have to try and chip with a RB or add a TE to double Gregory. Which means you'd have 4 guys taking care of 2 of our DLine, leaving Ankrah/Randle or McMullen/Curry in one on ones which is just as scary if they do their jobs, especially if Bando/Rose/Gerry/Zaire all play the way they can.

Hundley isn't the type of dual threat QB that scares me. He is more Tebow than he is Johnny Manziel. Manziel is scary. Hundley is more powerful and he prefers the pocket. Manziel leaves the pocket all the time, is fast, and keeps his eyes downfield. The added athleticism will also help contain Hundley should he decide to leave the pocket. The slowest linebacker we'll probably have on the field is just as fast as Hundley.

Add in the fact that Franklin is gone and Fauria (probably the worst matchup of the entire year for us) is gone, and I like our chances.

Good stuff. I'll add to that UCLA is a spread team which isn't as adept at adding blockers to double team multiple DL. UCLA will probably use some quick passing and their running game to try to slow down our pass rush.

What I remember most from last year's UCLA game was the huuuuuuge cushion the Husker D gave the UCLA offense on virtually every play. Sometimes it looks like Hundley ran simply because he couldn't believe we were giving him the corner, he could see he'd have a free 10 yards without getting touched. I'm not sure anyone was sure what Hundley could do at that point. Now we know. Hope it matters.

Good stuff. I'll add to that UCLA is a spread team which isn't as adept at adding blockers to double team multiple DL. UCLA will probably use some quick passing and their running game to try to slow down our pass rush.

It will be interesting to see how they use their running game and short passing game. The big gaining plays they had last year should be eliminated with the changes on defense this year (scheme, personnel, and a better gameplan now that we have tape of what they do.)

It will be interesting to see how they use their running game and short passing game. The big gaining plays they had last year should be eliminated with the changes on defense this year (scheme, personnel, and a better gameplan now that we have tape of what they do.)

Both Wyoming and Southern Miss. had big plays against us, so I'd be surprised if UCLA didn't have at least a few.