2 weeks in, and the "targeting" rule needs to go.

Saunders

Does anyone think Stafford's (or was it Smith) "hit" on Andrew Maxwell where the MSU player pushed him into him on the sideline last year would warrant an ejection this season?

I dont think so. That flag was for a late hit. It was obvious there was no targeting going on there. And if it wouldve, I would hope that Bo would take his team to the lockerroom and say to hell with the game if that's how it's gonna be.

I'll preface this by saying I believe this to be a necessary rule.

But, here's one of my biggest problems with the new targeting rule, and we saw it once against Southern Miss and an Oregon player got ejected for it in week one, too.

Players sliding.

I have no problem with players sliding, but considering these two plays above, the offensive player was sliding at the same time the defender was going in to make a tackle. Unless it can be determined that the defender had a reasonable amount of time to change his trajectory, it should be a no penalty. This is the Oregon hit.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=EDZZfIiWFWg

While the player's form isn't the best, it's clear that both players were already in their respective motions when the resulting "targeting" occurred. I see no way for the defender to have changed his trajectory when both he and the quarterback started lowering their bodies at the same time. If the QB had stayed upright, that's a low tackle that would have knocked him off his feet. No harm, no foul. Instead, because the QB slid, it's targeting.

And then it happened to one of our guys last week on a pooch kick. The up back caught the ball and started sliding to the ground as our guy was lowering his body to make the tackle. Though it wasn't "targeting", we got a 15 yard penalty. Is this something that players are going to be coached to do now? If you see a defender coming right for you, slide to the ground and draw the penalty?

yup, pretty much sums up my opinion exactly. good examples. that 15 yarder on us with a joke. "hitting a defenseless player above the shoulder"...they guy chose to make himself defenseless, and his shoulder was even w/ his knees at that point. can't go much lower.

Tip of the cap to those who showed restraint and not posting a bunch of Tropic Thunder gifs. after the OP. My trigger finger was really itching for it. As for the topic at hand: I think the ejection should be left up to those who can see it up in the booth. Hits on the field are always more brutal when watched in real time. But that is only if we think an ejection is necessary (which I don't). The problem lies in you are assuming player intent.

Right, but there's no way that gets called 1 or two years ago. The emphasis on "safety" has officials flag happy.

Eric Martin might disagree. No biggie though.

Eric's hit was at least h2h though and the guy didn't have the ball. Gregory got penalized for slinging the QB down.

"Roughing the passer" was for sure the wrong call, but Gregory did have his arm around the QB's neck. Rule-change or not, that will draw a flag almost every time.

Right, but there's no way that gets called 1 or two years ago. The emphasis on "safety" has officials flag happy.

Eric Martin might disagree. No biggie though.

Eric's hit was at least h2h though and the guy didn't have the ball. Gregory got penalized for slinging the QB down.

"Roughing the passer" was for sure the wrong call, but Gregory did have his arm around the QB's neck. Rule-change or not, that will draw a flag almost every time.

And he ducked into it...

There should be a rule against guys running in the open field with defenders closing in around them and just deciding to slide. That's incredibly dangerous.

While I have no problem with the move itself, especially for quarterbacks, I struggle with it's consequences on the field. It's one thing if the quarterback is in motion to the ground before the defenders makes his move, but it's an entirely different situation when both the defender and QB begin falling at the same time. IMHO, that's not the defenders fault. Plus, you never know when a QB is going to fall or isn't. Look at TM. He slides when there's an opportunity, but he also will go full bore into two defenders depending on the situation. The defender has no idea what he's going to do.

And for upbacks on a kickoff, it's even more ridiculous to see them slide. Is it common practice for upbacks to slide to the ground if they get a kick off as opposed to taking a knee or running until tackled?