An Outsider's Perspective on this game and the direction of Nebraska football

I have to agree too. Six years is a very long time to get your own guys/recruits in and start making this your team. But for Bo, this should be the end of the line. Remember under TO how we came out in the second half and dominated and wore the opponent out. We have gotten so far from the running game that our offense is now that of desperation throws and as result Martinez today went from brilliant to horrible, one of his really bad games in the second half. I like having a coaching staff with ties to NU so maybe go get Frost or some other NU alums lurking around but enough is enough. We need to stop the bleeding. And you know there will be 2-3 more games this season where we look like this again. Giving up 500+ yards every week, just can't take it anymore.

Wrong. I don't want an inexperienced coordinator. I want to find a proven head coach that's willing to let his coordinators coordinate, but manages to hold them accountable. A head coach that brings a passionate, disciplined, team (both sides of the ball). No more hiring "buddies" from a trusted circle so they can learn on the fly. Who that guy is? Not sure, but it's not my job to find that guy.... That's the AD and his consultants problem.

You can laugh if you want...Craig Bohl???

Bohl is doing great lately. If he hadn't coached a bad NU defense nobody would laught at the thought of hiring him.

So as a PSU fan who used to live in Nebraska... I am one who truly appreciate what Nebraska football is and I cheer for you guys in every game except against PSU. I thought when Nebraska hired Bo that you guys had hired a game-changing coach who would do amazing things for you guys. He was an exceptional DC at a national championship school, and one would have expected that you would have the Blackshirts back.

Oops.

This game today is a pretty good representative for Bo Pelini's tenure at Nebraska. It started off well and Nebraska looked really good...and the improvement on defense was amazing. Then everything fell apart.

If you guys end up being crushed by a large margin after leading by 18 points late in the second...which is what looks like is going to happen... I'm afraid it's time to lay down the law and get rid of Bo and the entire top staff of the Nebraska football time. This isn't a knee jerk reaction...this is just a simple realization that Nebraska has pretty much gone as far as it can go under Bo Pelini...which is to say that it's an okay football team but not great. If Bo... who was such a great DC at LSU... can't rebuild the Blackshirts with as much talent as Nebraska can get... how is one supposed to expect him to go any further? I honestly don't think he is... and when Taylor Martinez leaves.... well, offensive productively will likely go down a good bit.

The state of Nebraska...The B1G... and honestly college football as a whole is better when Nebraska is a good, strong football team. Not when it's as impressive as a wet noodle. I know some will disagree with this opinion, and that's fine...but ask yourselves what you want out of Nebraska football. Ask yourself what you want a Nebraska football team to look like. Does that include a defense that gives up 28 points in one quarter? An offense that just ceases being productive due to lack of creativity?

Do what's right. Get rid of Bo, etc. now, state that you want to take Nebraska football in a different direction, and start rebuilding and looking for who is the right person to take over this program.

Why don't you stop pretending that you're a Husker fan and leave?

I appreciate the post nittanylionstorm07

I have to agree too. Six years is a very long time to get your own guys/recruits in and start making this your team. But for Bo, this should be the end of the line. Remember under TO how we came out in the second half and dominated and wore the opponent out. We have gotten so far from the running game that our offense is now that of desperation throws and as result Martinez today went from brilliant to horrible, one of his really bad games in the second half. I like having a coaching staff with ties to NU so maybe go get Frost or some other NU alums lurking around but enough is enough. We need to stop the bleeding. And you know there will be 2-3 more games this season where we look like this again. Giving up 500+ yards every week, just can't take it anymore.

Wrong. I don't want an inexperienced coordinator. I want to find a proven head coach that's willing to let his coordinators coordinate, but manages to hold them accountable. A head coach that brings a passionate, disciplined, team (both sides of the ball). No more hiring "buddies" from a trusted circle so they can learn on the fly. Who that guy is? Not sure, but it's not my job to find that guy.... That's the AD and his consultants problem.

Bohl is doing great lately. If he hadn't coached a bad NU defense nobody would laught at the thought of hiring him.

I am aware of that. That is why I said it...

However, as a HC he is proven much more than Pelini is. This is a great argument for why a great OC or DC might not be a great HC and vice versa.

I don't think Bo needs to go, but both of our coordinators do. Bo needs experienced help at those positions, and desperately needs to get a DC in that can do that job and then let him do the job. If he can't do those things at the end of this season, then yeah, it's time to start thinking about whether we can get another HC in. But we're not there yet.

I am aware of that. That is why I said it...

However, as a HC he is proven much more than Pelini is. This is a great argument for why a great OC or DC might not be a great HC and vice versa.

I am agreeing with you. I used to detest how Bohl coached the DBs not to look for the ball, but he sure looks polished as a HC. He has had success for a long period too. Too long to be driven by a single good recruiting class, like Mack Brown winning the MNC with Vince Younf.

He needs to make a change to his coordinators and allow them to do their job.................he shouldn't be doing it for them, that's not what a head coach does IMO. He should be able to trust his coordinators and they should be able to do the job. Time to open the checkbook to get top shelf coordinators and if he can't get it done then, well then it's time to head on down the road.

I agree with this. Bo runs a clean program and recruits high character kids. Maybe NU could be great under Bo if he would hire a great OC and a great DC, and give them full responsibility.

Granted we don't know him on a personal level, but based on the last 6 years of listening and watching Bo Pelini, I doubt he will swallow his pride and let a proven DC come in and take over. Either way, which "proven" DC will want to come and coach under Bo?

I have been a supporter of Pelini since day one. The OP said it best, this game is a microcosm of the Pelini era at Nebraska. Penalties, late in lining up, terrible tackling are all discipline problems. Not to mention the highly questionable shift in play calling that makes me wonder if Beck wasn't directed to change after the lead and if he, in turn, directed Martinez to not take opportunities in scrambles. My head is out of the sand and I am firmly taking a running leap off of the Bo Pelini bandwagon. That being said...

He has to do some serious soul searching this off season. I say that because the B1G is not a good conference and he will still win 10 games this year. I realize the problems but that UCLA team would dominate the Big Ten.

With this schedule, believing Pelini is going anywhere is a fool's hope.

We are all supporters of Bo Pelini --- if by supporter you mean you want to see him succeed. By that definition I too am a Bo supporter. I want him to succeed because he is my alma maters coach.

That said, from the moment he was hired I felt it was a big mistake --- never, ever hire unproven unless you absolutely have to... and NU did not have to. But... once hired you root for him. But that does not mean you cannot evaluate his performance and critique him.

Bo has never been effective while here. I was early among posters (along with a few others) in seeing Bo as being in over his head --- three years ago I was absolutely convinced that Bo would never be a success at NU. Now, many posters seem to agree. The time to cut the losses is now (as in at seasons end). Move on. He has had enough time.

I was coming here to post a similar view. Last year during the Wisconsin rout I was willing to consider that that was maybe an aberration. Not anymore. Bo Pelini is a decent coach who will get the team winning records as long as we play enough teams like Idaho State. That's fine if you're a small rah-rah college and the game is mainly for fun and school pride. That's not Nebraska. The team has a championship history that just doesn't fit Bo. Bo's better than Callahan (obviously), but he's not a Tom Osborne or a George Halas or a Vince Lombardi or a Lou Holtz. It's not fair to expect him to be. He has much of the same fire in his belly that those men had, but he doesn't have anywhere near the eye for talent, the recruiting ability, or the game planning mastery. It's time to cut him loose, not mid season, but at the end of it.

I really wish we could have lured Andy Reid away from the NFL when the Eagles fired him, but that's a reach when he had NFL offers. But we need someone like him.

He needs to make a change to his coordinators and allow them to do their job.................he shouldn't be doing it for them, that's not what a head coach does IMO. He should be able to trust his coordinators and they should be able to do the job. Time to open the checkbook to get top shelf coordinators and if he can't get it done then, well then it's time to head on down the road.

I agree with this. Bo runs a clean program and recruits high character kids. Maybe NU could be great under Bo if he would hire a great OC and a great DC, and give them full responsibility.

Granted we don't know him on a personal level, but based on the last 6 years of listening and watching Bo Pelini, I doubt he will swallow his pride and let a proven DC come in and take over. Either way, which "proven" DC will want to come and coach under Bo?

I really really think that Bo is going to have to have to find a polished DC for sure no matter how he feels about it or it could be him looking for a job. Right or wrong it is just how it is today. 6 years is a lot of patience in this era. I don't like it but it is what it is.

You have a great point. Bo doesn't seem like he could handle delegating.

I am agreeing with you. I used to detest how Bohl coached the DBs not to look for the ball, but he sure looks polished as a HC. He has had success for a long period too. Too long to be driven by a single good recruiting class, like Mack Brown winning the MNC with Vince Younf.

Bohl never taught any technique to DB's and never had anything to do with it. He was a linebacker coach prior to being the DC. That was all Darlington. And I know it's tough to swallow, but there is a method to that madness. There is a vid of Joseph teaching the philosophy at a coach clinic with a good explanation of why. And it does make sense. There is also a need of savy from the DB to just have a good feel of it. That's what Iike about Marvin. His secondaries seemed to be just a little less focused on technique and such and more on "just get it done" and the scheme. I miss that guy.

Yeah, right! Bo will never give up DC control and NU has paid their OC the big bucks, and look what it has got us!