An Outsider's Perspective on this game and the direction of Nebraska football

As soon as we were up 21-3 I said "Watch, going to get our @@@ beat".

After UCLA scored, you could look on the sideline and see Bo melt down, AGAIN.

If they fired him tonight, and lost every game the rest of the season I for one would be happy.

Yeah I agree. I mean at least you have hope then for the coming years. I don't feel like the team is going to break through under Bo so....

And the argument about firing a successful coach and who would come here....money talks. Top programs shouldn't be afraid to get rid of coaches that are successful but can't take the next step. Football has changed a lot in 10 years.

I have to agree too. Six years is a very long time to get your own guys/recruits in and start making this your team. But for Bo, this should be the end of the line. Remember under TO how we came out in the second half and dominated and wore the opponent out. We have gotten so far from the running game that our offense is now that of desperation throws and as result Martinez today went from brilliant to horrible, one of his really bad games in the second half. I like having a coaching staff with ties to NU so maybe go get Frost or some other NU alums lurking around but enough is enough. We need to stop the bleeding. And you know there will be 2-3 more games this season where we look like this again. Giving up 500+ yards every week, just can't take it anymore.

As soon as we were up 21-3 I said "Watch, going to get our @@@ beat".

After UCLA scored, you could look on the sideline and see Bo melt down, AGAIN.

If they fired him tonight, and lost every game the rest of the season I for one would be happy.

Yeah I agree. I mean at least you have hope then for the coming years. I don't feel like the team is going to break through under Bo so....

And the argument about firing a successful coach and who would come here....money talks. Top programs shouldn't be afraid to get rid of coaches that are successful but can't take the next step. Football has changed a lot in 10 years.

Totally agree. With Bo still here, what hope is there for next year and the season(s) after that? More Beck calling insane plays? More defensive melt-downs? I don't know, I am tired of it.

So as a PSU fan who used to live in Nebraska... I am one who truly appreciate what Nebraska football is and I cheer for you guys in every game except against PSU. I thought when Nebraska hired Bo that you guys had hired a game-changing coach who would do amazing things for you guys. He was an exceptional DC at a national championship school, and one would have expected that you would have the Blackshirts back.

Oops.

This game today is a pretty good representative for Bo Pelini's tenure at Nebraska. It started off well and Nebraska looked really good...and the improvement on defense was amazing. Then everything fell apart.

If you guys end up being crushed by a large margin after leading by 18 points late in the second...which is what looks like is going to happen... I'm afraid it's time to lay down the law and get rid of Bo and the entire top staff of the Nebraska football time. This isn't a knee jerk reaction...this is just a simple realization that Nebraska has pretty much gone as far as it can go under Bo Pelini...which is to say that it's an okay football team but not great. If Bo... who was such a great DC at LSU... can't rebuild the Blackshirts with as much talent as Nebraska can get... how is one supposed to expect him to go any further? I honestly don't think he is... and when Taylor Martinez leaves.... well, offensive productively will likely go down a good bit.

The state of Nebraska...The B1G... and honestly college football as a whole is better when Nebraska is a good, strong football team. Not when it's as impressive as a wet noodle. I know some will disagree with this opinion, and that's fine...but ask yourselves what you want out of Nebraska football. Ask yourself what you want a Nebraska football team to look like. Does that include a defense that gives up 28 points in one quarter? An offense that just ceases being productive due to lack of creativity?

Do what's right. Get rid of Bo, etc. now, state that you want to take Nebraska football in a different direction, and start rebuilding and looking for who is the right person to take over this program.

Problem is we will still likely win 9 games this year. If we fire the coach it will give us a black eye because Espin will only talk about how we fired a coach with 6 9 win seasons, not one who was consistently out coached

Spot on here with both these posts.

Bo isn't getting NU to where it needs to be. But he's good enough for 9 wins a year - which ain't gon' do it.

He needs to make a change to his coordinators and allow them to do their job.................he shouldn't be doing it for them, that's not what a head coach does IMO. He should be able to trust his coordinators and they should be able to do the job. Time to open the checkbook to get top shelf coordinators and if he can't get it done then, well then it's time to head on down the road.

So as a PSU fan who used to live in Nebraska... I am one who truly appreciate what Nebraska football is and I cheer for you guys in every game except against PSU. I thought when Nebraska hired Bo that you guys had hired a game-changing coach who would do amazing things for you guys. He was an exceptional DC at a national championship school, and one would have expected that you would have the Blackshirts back.

Oops.

This game today is a pretty good representative for Bo Pelini's tenure at Nebraska. It started off well and Nebraska looked really good...and the improvement on defense was amazing. Then everything fell apart.

If you guys end up being crushed by a large margin after leading by 18 points late in the second...which is what looks like is going to happen... I'm afraid it's time to lay down the law and get rid of Bo and the entire top staff of the Nebraska football time. This isn't a knee jerk reaction...this is just a simple realization that Nebraska has pretty much gone as far as it can go under Bo Pelini...which is to say that it's an okay football team but not great. If Bo... who was such a great DC at LSU... can't rebuild the Blackshirts with as much talent as Nebraska can get... how is one supposed to expect him to go any further? I honestly don't think he is... and when Taylor Martinez leaves.... well, offensive productively will likely go down a good bit.

The state of Nebraska...The B1G... and honestly college football as a whole is better when Nebraska is a good, strong football team. Not when it's as impressive as a wet noodle. I know some will disagree with this opinion, and that's fine...but ask yourselves what you want out of Nebraska football. Ask yourself what you want a Nebraska football team to look like. Does that include a defense that gives up 28 points in one quarter? An offense that just ceases being productive due to lack of creativity?

Do what's right. Get rid of Bo, etc. now, state that you want to take Nebraska football in a different direction, and start rebuilding and looking for who is the right person to take over this program.

i do agree, when bo came to nebraska as a first head coach, i had my question marks about his hiring.. why does nu not hire a proven head coach, one that has a track record that can show on his resume...the last 3 coaches nu has hired have satisfied this profile . nu need to go out and get a head coach that has a proven record, i had a few year back thought snyder out of kansas state would have been a great hire, even it was just for a few years...but not one metion of him when nu hired years ago....oh well,, the big wigs at nu have to take some of the blame.

Oops.

Why don't you stop pretending that you're a Husker fan and leave?

There were at least 4-6 plays that the PLAYERS needed to make today. All on them.

But the overall theme of penalties and turnovers has not changed at all. Something is just not right. The psyche of this team the last 3-4 yrs is just missing something.

W Callahan and whatnot, you could put a finger right on the problem, w Bo's team...it's just this weird feeling of incompletion.

I have to agree too. Six years is a very long time to get your own guys/recruits in and start making this your team. But for Bo, this should be the end of the line. Remember under TO how we came out in the second half and dominated and wore the opponent out. We have gotten so far from the running game that our offense is now that of desperation throws and as result Martinez today went from brilliant to horrible, one of his really bad games in the second half. I like having a coaching staff with ties to NU so maybe go get Frost or some other NU alums lurking around but enough is enough. We need to stop the bleeding. And you know there will be 2-3 more games this season where we look like this again. Giving up 500+ yards every week, just can't take it anymore.

Wrong. I don't want an inexperienced coordinator. I want to find a proven head coach that's willing to let his coordinators coordinate, but manages to hold them accountable. A head coach that brings a passionate, disciplined, team (both sides of the ball). No more hiring "buddies" from a trusted circle so they can learn on the fly. Who that guy is? Not sure, but it's not my job to find that guy.... That's the AD and his consultants problem.

Wrong. I don't want an inexperienced coordinator. I want to find a proven head coach that's willing to let his coordinators coordinate, but manages to hold them accountable. A head coach that brings a passionate, disciplined, team (both sides of the ball). No more hiring "buddies" from a trusted circle so they can learn on the fly. Who that guy is? Not sure, but it's not my job to find that guy.... That's the AD and his consultants problem.

You can laugh if you want...Craig Bohl???

He needs to make a change to his coordinators and allow them to do their job.................he shouldn't be doing it for them, that's not what a head coach does IMO. He should be able to trust his coordinators and they should be able to do the job. Time to open the checkbook to get top shelf coordinators and if he can't get it done then, well then it's time to head on down the road.

I agree with this. Bo runs a clean program and recruits high character kids. Maybe NU could be great under Bo if he would hire a great OC and a great DC, and give them full responsibility.