Would you have benched Martinez for a series?

It might not have hurt to let Armstrong go in for one series. During that series you have a real good one on one talk with Martinez and calm him down. In the mean time maybe Armstrong might have a spark that jump starts the offense.

I do agree that the play calling wasn't what I expected it to be for this game. Nebraska has too many talented players to let them stand on the side lines. Use them. By gosh when you come out from half time you need to make adjustments and be prepared to change things because UCLA sure did.

Alright, this brings up a secondary question - Is Taylor the one deciding not to use his feet more, or is Beck taking it away from him? I say this because there are times he probably should have scrambled on third down, and times where the run was clearly designed (and schemed out by UCLA).

Are these all designed plays or are they left up to Taylor's discretion?

I DID have this idea during the third quarter. Kellogg is a much better passer, and Martinez seemed like his head was somewhere else besides Memorial Stadium.

Obviously, we already know the right answer is yes: It's impossible to score less than zero points, so anything different has a chance to turn out better and cannot possibly turn out worse.

No, because he's the best talent we have at the QB position, which is a QB who next year will likely move on to Arena Football or maybe the CFL and definitely is NOT NFL calibre. That's part of the problem.

*shrug*

My thoughts on Taylor are well-documented. I'm not sold on him being our best option at QB if he isn't going to use his mobility.

And the boom. Seriously

If were gonna call plays and operate like we did today, I'm serious, I'm not sure Taylor isnt down to 3rd, if not even 4th depending on Stanton's ability, on the depth chart. Really really disturbing, and that's not on Taylor whatsoever. Now if his running ability is hampered by some sort of injury as speculated, then why is he in the game. that's a needed dimension of his arsenal. We learned that lesson in 2010. His best skill neutralized before the snap? Aint gonna work.

Having Taylor drop back and asking him to make run/pass decisions and occasionally take off for a scramble is not making use of him as a running QB, in my opinion. Running the zone read 15 to 20 times a game is.

Even when we use the zone read he looks timid. Why run it 15-20 times when the D knows the QB is scared to keep it. I want him to run like he did last year even if there is a chance of him turning it over. We need to utilise ALL of his talents and keep the defences honest.

Do you really think he is a running QB anymore?

Yeah, I do think he is. He's fast and he's got the same potential to be electric he had last year against UCLA or Wisconsin.

Even when we use the zone read he looks timid. Why run it 15-20 times when the D knows the QB is scared to keep it. I want him to run like he did last year even if there is a chance of him turning it over. We need to utilise ALL of his talents and keep the defences honest.

Well, what else is he going to do? I don't think we run the traditional option well. I don't think he is as effective moving laterally which also takes the keepers out of the question. He isn't a barreling, between-the-tackles guy or one who sees the holes and picks his way through traffic.

Taylor is at his best when we can get him that crease and watch him explode through it and end up far downfield. We need to do that with regularity so we can then hit them over the top with the deep ball, which is also something that's in his arsenal.

Otherwise in spite of all of our talent on offense it's merely a ho-hum operation.

It's only my uneducated opinion but I think there's nothing more important than forcing the defense to respect the threat of the ZR. I don't know if he's looked that timid while doing it, although I do think he pulls up sometimes in the open field before he gets hit, which is dangerous.

No, because he's the best talent we have at the QB position, which is a QB who next year will likely move on to Arena Football or maybe the CFL and definitely is NOT NFL calibre. That's part of the problem.

*shrug*

My thoughts on Taylor are well-documented. I'm not sold on him being our best option at QB if he isn't going to use his mobility.

And the boom. Seriously

If were gonna call plays and operate like we did today, I'm serious, I'm not sure Taylor isnt down to 3rd, if not even 4th depending on Stanton's ability, on the depth chart. Really really disturbing, and that's not on Taylor whatsoever. Now if his running ability is hampered by some sort of injury as speculated, then why is he in the game. that's a needed dimension of his arsenal. We learned that lesson in 2010. His best skill neutralized before the snap? Aint gonna work.

Agree. TM looks hurt. Without his speed, he is not the best option at QB.