Progress

I agree with many comments that have been posted today in the aftermath of another ugly loss by Pelini's team. As a team, and a fan base, our ultimate goal every year is to win the national championship, or winning our conference and going to a major bowl game. The loss to UCLA today likely eliminates any hopes of a national championship, but Nebraska has yet to play a conference game and still has an opportunity to make it to a major bowl. With all that said, one basic expectation that most fans have of their team is to demonstrate progress, whether that's week to week, or year to year. This is honestly where my frustration lies with Pelini as a head coach. Whether it's missed tackles, miscommunication, or turning over the ball, Pelini's squads have a reputation for coming up soft in games that count. But the real lack of progress lies with Pelini and his coaching staff. How much longer can someone claim Bo is a defensive genius after performances like today in which he was not able to have his team make adjustments after the opposition made adjustments. Great coaches hire great coordinators who know how to make in-game adjustments, and who are able to put their team back in the position of being the aggressor. My guess is that Bo hopes the fan base will sweep this humiliating loss under the rug again and pretend it didn't happen, but there are only so many humiliating losses that can be endured by a fan base. Had Bo's staff made appropriate adjustments today, and they still came up short in a close one, I would certainly be disappointed, but at least it would have been a sign of hope and progress.

I am starting to think his defensive scheme is an "all or nothing" format that doesn't leave room for mid game tweaks or adjustments. Either the players "execute" (man am I sick of hearing that in post game pressers) or they get gashed.

Still..I'm just not on the fire Pelini bandwagon...yet. But I do feel he needs to either turn the D over to Paps and sink or swim with Pap's abilities...or release Pap's and hire a DC that can come in with the freedom to do install his own defensive scheme. If these types of performances happen one or two more times, and that change doesn't happen..then I'd say Bo is on the line. I like Bo and I hope he gets things righted.

Bo appears to be a "character counts" guy. I like that. I like our graduation rate, the no BS policy etc....

He needs to fire himself as secret DC and let Paps go. I would also let Beck go. Neither one has proven their ability to do anything that will ever right this ship. We are at the point like 2007. It wil take wholesale change to make progress. Bo needs to go or Eichorst needs to drop the money to get proven DC and OC here. If not, we are a 9 win team, beating bottom feeders, squeaking out a win against a slightly better foe (ie Mich St) and getting stomped by better teams.

• Fire 1

I am starting to think his defensive scheme is an "all or nothing" format that doesn't leave room for mid game tweaks or adjustments. Either the players "execute" (man am I sick of hearing that in post game pressers) or they get gashed.

Still..I'm just not on the fire Pelini bandwagon...yet. But I do feel he needs to either turn the D over to Paps and sink or swim with Pap's abilities...or release Pap's and hire a DC that can come in with the freedom to do install his own defensive scheme. If these types of performances happen one or two more times, and that change doesn't happen..then I'd say Bo is on the line. I like Bo and I hope he gets things righted.

The bold appears to be his mode. One game plan to stop what he has seen on film. They adjust, we are screwed.

The bold appears to be his mode. One game plan to stop what he has seen on film. They adjust, we are screwed.

Bingo. Blatantly obvious, and I have been thinking that for the last couple years. (out coached)

The more I've thought about the last few years of Husker football, the more I've grown to believe this team, this program's problem, is mental. Dropped balls, inconsistent d-line pressure, fumbles, an inability for players to execute/make adjustments, etc. Today's game showed we have at least four to five MAJOR problems on this team. And because we have so many issues, I struggle to find any other explanation than Nebraska is a mentally weak football team.

They can't compete for four quarters, they get cocky/over confident and blame that on poor performances, they need motivation/a kick in the ass two or three times a year to get their heads right. They lack discipline, and when something goes wrong, it snowballs to astronomical proportions.

I have so many thoughts on this that I'm not going to throw them all in this post. But, when problems persist over an extended period of time, you have to start evaluating the common denominators to find the source of an issue. Players have come and gone, but the mistakes have stayed the same. At this point in time, I think it's only fair to start looking at the coaches, all the way up to the head honcho.

I'm not calling for Pelini's head, but after today, I'm very curious about the mental state of his teams over the last three years. Not much has changed in this arena.

The more I've thought about the last few years of Husker football, the more I've grown to believe this team, this program's problem, is mental. Dropped balls, inconsistent d-line pressure, fumbles, an inability for players to execute/make adjustments, etc. Today's game showed we have at least four to five MAJOR problems on this team. And because we have so many issues, I struggle to find any other explanation than Nebraska is a mentally weak football team.

They can't compete for four quarters, they get cocky/over confident and blame that on poor performances, they need motivation/a kick in the ass two or three times a year to get their heads right. They lack discipline, and when something goes wrong, it snowballs to astronomical proportions.

I have so many thoughts on this that I'm not going to throw them all in this post. But, when problems persist over an extended period of time, you have to start evaluating the common denominators to find the source of an issue. Players have come and gone, but the mistakes have stayed the same. At this point in time, I think it's only fair to start looking at the coaches, all the way up to the head honcho.

I'm not calling for Pelini's head, but after today, I'm very curious about the mental state of his teams over the last three years. Not much has changed in this arena.

I agree completely.

Bo appears to be a "character counts" guy. I like that. I like our graduation rate, the no BS policy etc....

He needs to fire himself as secret DC and let Paps go. I would also let Beck go. Neither one has proven their ability to do anything that will ever right this ship. We are at the point like 2007. It wil take wholesale change to make progress. Bo needs to go or Eichorst needs to drop the money to get proven DC and OC here. If not, we are a 9 win team, beating bottom feeders, squeaking out a win against a slightly better foe (ie Mich St) and getting stomped by better teams.

Perfect! +1

Everybody read this, accept it, and we can turn off the server and go to sleep. Nothing further needs to be said.

I'd give ya a thousand plus ones if the system allowed it.