Callahan not worried about decommit

Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan raved Thursday about freshman quarterback Harrison Beck’s performance during Alamo Bowl practices. In doing so, the coach made a tongue-in-cheek remark regarding the decommitment of standout prep quarterback Josh Freeman of Kansas City, Mo.

“I can’t say enough good things about Harrison’s progress,” Callahan said. “I think it scared some people away.”

Although Freeman’s decision to play for Kansas State instead of Nebraska this week became a source of concern among many in Husker Nation, Callahan showed no signs of panic. In fact, he indicated it wasn’t necessary to have a quarterback in NU’s 2006 recruiting class.

“It wasn’t a dire need at all,” Callahan said. “We were fortunate we had a young man who expressed interest, and we were excited about that possibility, but it wasn’t crucial. We’d like to have another (quarterback) to be a quality backup to (Zac) Taylor and Beck. We’re going to keep looking. There are a lot of prospects out there. You know how recruiting goes — you just go out and move to the next guy.”

Callahan said he made it clear to his staff this week that Nebraska wants players who have a strong desire to play for the Huskers. Rulon Davis, a junior college defensive end, also decommitted this week and is headed to California.

“We want guys who want Nebraska because this is a unique situation,” Callahan said. “It’s a special situation and a special program. If you don’t want to come, it’s OK. It’s not for everybody.” "It's very similar to hunters when they go out in the fall," Callahan said. "It's open season. You just go after the guys you go after and you just keep shooting at the targets.

Callahan did make a note of the tactics new head coach Kansas St did to attract Freeman over to Nebraska

"Really, this commitment thing is great, we respect that process and we honor it, but then of course some people don't. That's a part of the game and we continue to just move on and keep recruiting guys that are interested and that want to come to Nebraska."

He added, “It’s been my experience that guys you have to continue to work on, and have a high-maintenance (manner) about themselves — a lot of those guys struggle throughout their careers. Guys who know where they want to go and have an exactness about their decision, those are usually the guys who pan out. There’s no confusion. There’s no clutter in their minds.”

"But the guys that know where they want to go and have an exactness about their decision are usually the guys that pan out" Callahan said. "Because they are the pretty goal orientated guys, there's no confusion, there's no clutter on their mind and they're pretty set on their goals and what they want to do and where they want to go."

Norvell seems to share the sentiments of not stressing about Freeman going elsehwhere.

We want to bring in the very best players," Norvell said. "We won't recruit a quarterback just to recruit one. We're committed to bringing the very best players in and especially at that position, so we'll see. There's still a lot of time left in recruiting."

Callahan and Norvell quotes obtained from OWH, Lincoln Journal Star and Huskers.com articlesas well as some other portions

It stinks whenever we lose out on "any" player we really want and don't get. However I do feel BC has a solid grasp on recruiting and isn't that worried about our situation. Also, any player that can't deal with some competition for a starting job (or really doesn't want to be here)....one has to wonder just how much will they be missed? I'd much rather have a "less" celebrated / ranked player on our team that wants to be a HUSKER versus a kid that doesn't any day.

Weasel

“It wasn’t a dire need at all,” Callahan said. “We were fortunate we had a young man who expressed interest, and we were excited about that possibility, but it wasn’t crucial. We’d like to have another (quarterback) to be a quality backup to (Zac) Taylor and Beck. We’re going to keep looking. There are a lot of prospects out there. You know how recruiting goes — you just go out and move to the next guy.”

If its not a dire need, why would they go after another?? They are only two deep at qb right now. Its a pretty important position, NU needs a quality HS qb in the class.

Callahan did make a note of the tactics new head coach Kansas St did to attract Freeman over to Nebraska

"Really, this commitment thing is great, we respect that process and we honor it, but then of course some people don't. That's a part of the game and we continue to just move on and keep recruiting guys that are interested and that want to come to Nebraska."

He added, “It’s been my experience that guys you have to continue to work on, and have a high-maintenance (manner) about themselves — a lot of those guys struggle throughout their careers. Guys who know where they want to go and have an exactness about their decision, those are usually the guys who pan out. There’s no confusion. There’s no clutter in their minds.”

"But the guys that know where they want to go and have an exactness about their decision are usually the guys that pan out" Callahan said. "Because they are the pretty goal orientated guys, there's no confusion, there's no clutter on their mind and they're pretty set on their goals and what they want to do and where they want to go."

I wonder if he said the same thing when guys like Murtha decommitted from other schools to go to NU??

Norvell seems to share the sentiments of not stressing about Freeman going elsehwhere.

We want to bring in the very best players," Norvell said. "We won't recruit a quarterback just to recruit one. We're committed to bringing the very best players in and especially at that position, so we'll see. There's still a lot of time left in recruiting."

Im not sure about that. Seems like there are a few qbs on the roster who are not the "very best players."

I do agree, if they dont want to be here, then dont come :thumbs

Amen to that Weasel. Every time I read something about players who want to be here at Nebraska, I immediately think of Seth Jensen. That guy is juiced up to be a Husker and that kind of enthusiasm can be contagious to the whole team. No matter how good of a player he turns out to be, I feel that his love and dedication to this team will spread to other players and be a great contribution both on and off the field.

at first i was pretty mad about the freeman issue, but you have to look at the kind of person that it takes to text message someone about a decision like that. I don't want somebody like that to be a part of this team. I think we had a few players like that in the first year of Cal and co. and are no longer a part of this team. I think that Seth Jensen will play a role a lot like that of Patrick Kabongo, granted he won't be as huge of a person, but will have as huge of a heart, probably won't play a TON of snaps but will be an energy on the field getting those guys ready to roll. I'm getting real excited with the things that are coming. It's a real exciting time to be a part of Husker football...

Now lets go beat blue !!!

I've been "trolling" this board for over a year. ("Trolling"is probably a poor choice of words). Thought I'd jump in to some of these discussions.

Former, I think the difference with Murtha decommiting vs. Freeman is that Callahan didn't go to Minnesota (was it Hutchington, MN?) to pull a commit. Prince, on the otherhand, had the gall to ask for an in-home visit. I'm not blaming Prince...he did what he had to do. But, I don't Callahan would "lower" himself to that type of recruiting. I'd hate to be proved wrong on this. By the way, Former, I've enjoyed your posts...usually well thought-out...I just don't agree with a lot of them :)

I've been "trolling" this board for over a year. ("Trolling"is probably a poor choice of words). Thought I'd jump in to some of these discussions.

Former, I think the difference with Murtha decommiting vs. Freeman is that Callahan didn't go to Minnesota (was it Hutchington, MN?) to pull a commit. Prince, on the otherhand, had the gall to ask for an in-home visit. I'm not blaming Prince...he did what he had to do. But, I don't Callahan would "lower" himself to that type of recruiting. I'd hate to be proved wrong on this. By the way, Former, I've enjoyed your posts...usually well thought-out...I just don't agree with a lot of them :)

I believe Murtha decommitted after Minnesota tried to take him to a strip club on his official visit, then went shopping around. I may be mistaken on that though. Brooks decommitted and signed on the dotted line because Gary Pinkel is an idiot and hadn't talked to him in almost 2 months, so he had no idea where he stood with the staff. Tomerlin decommitted because his roommate and best friend sold him on NU.

in response to formerfan, i think that we were in a situation 2 years ago where we had to take what we could get at QB because we had "nothing" fit for this offense and Callahan was hired with very little time to go after the big guns. I think the two guys he picked up last year are probably worth the scholarships they were offered. And i am pretty sure there will be offers on the table to guys that they TRUELY want this year. If you get the opportunity to sign one great, if not, then we wait til next year and pick up a blue chip qb. I personally dont think we will sign one, the advantage with Freeman was that he would be here in january and for spring practice, thats the main reason i was excited for him. We will see how it pans out, i have faith that this staff that they can weigh out the needs of the team.

I love that comment about Beck's progress. Nice little back-handed slap at Freeman.

To complete the Karma, look for NU beating KSU 48-3 in Lincoln in 2007.

Beck: 22-30, 275 Yds and 4 TDs.

Freeman: 21-48, 201 Yds, 3 Ints, sacked 7 times.

Is that how it played out on your NCAA 2k6? :lol:

As far as Freeman goes, the loss of him sucks, but QB isn't necessarily a position that is hurting, at least for this season. He was offered because the coaches thought he was talented enough to challenge for playing time and could have been the heir apparent. If we don't get a top level QB this year, it won't be a tragedy. Taylor was only a 3 :star prospect, and as one member of this board continually harped on last winter, there was no way he could be any good since he was 3 :star and recruited by the likes of Marshall, Troy St. and North Texas.(you know who you are) :sarcasm

If they get a solid prospect this year who will benefit from a redshirt season, then that will be great. Beck, Ganz and Davis are all very young and will provide depth for the next 2+ seasons. NU can afford to bring a young QB aboard this year and bring him along slowly. Then next season go after Mallett or Claussen real hard.

Also, I agree with you Stuck, Seth Jensen has kind of been overlooked in this class. He could turn out to be a heck of a player in a couple seasons.

i liked cally's mention of how some "high maintence players" don't always pan out....i think Beck was every bit as good as freeman , maybe better and he understood that it would take a year to learn the system....sometimes patience is a virtue....i am thinking the speed of the game will overwhelm freeman if he starts and he will be spending alot of time on his back and thowing ints..... :rollin

hunter