Government Shutdown

http://m.omaha.com/article.html?hash=/103700/2b5f22505a1cf00261a610c6a59d7716/http://www.omaha.com/article/20131004/NEWS/131009431

Rep. Lee Terry, R-Neb., was blunt when asked if he would continue collecting his paychecks during the shutdown.

"Dang straight," he said.

Terry suggested it's an irrelevant question because the situation would be resolved before long.

What about the other members who were donating or forgoing their pay?

"Whatever gets them good press," Terry said. "That's all that it's going to be. God bless them. But you know what? I've got a nice house and a kid in college, and I'll tell you we cannot handle it. Giving our paycheck away when you still worked and earned it? That's just not going to fly."

It's a good thing Mr. Terry's district was fixed after Obama accidentally carried an electoral vote from the 2nd in 2008. For awhile there it was looking dangerously competitive.

what is the difference? if he was really worried about his 'nice house' and kid in college, sure he could just find a job on k-street. there he would make all the money he could ever imagine and still contribute to not helping american citizens at all.

I doubt Lee Terry could even pull down a kushy lobbying job if he wanted to. He was elected to congress 15 years ago and still sits on three minor committees, has never worked on major legislation, and has little clout in his party. The thing is there are a lot of nobodies in congress who are not independently wealthy like Terry, who do genuinely need a paycheck, and a lot of them feel like their $175k salary is practically a vow of poverty...and yet they are not able to empathize with a summa cum laude astrophysics MIT graduate at NASA that makes 1/3 of what they do, or apparently even a park ranger.

I doubt Lee Terry could even pull down a kushy lobbying job if he wanted to. He was elected to congress 15 years ago and still sits on three minor committees, has never worked on major legislation, and has little clout in his party. The thing is there are a lot of nobodies in congress who are not independently wealthy like Terry, who do genuinely need a paycheck, and a lot of them feel like their $175k salary is practically a vow of poverty...and yet they are not able to empathize with a summa cum laude astrophysics MIT graduate at NASA that makes 1/3 of what they do, or apparently even a park ranger.

I am sure they do empathize as do you or I but that doesn't mean they should give up their paycheck. That's not a sensible syste and I don't think it will give the proper incentive for Congress to avoid shutdowns, as it would be designed to do.

I get lovely letters from Boxer, Pelosi and Feinstein ignoring the stance I take but let me know how they feel about the issue. I doubt they actually read my emails. Haven't been any SS around lately.

I blame you for Pelosi & Feinstein. You need to vote those idiots out of office.

(for the sensitive - I mean "idiots" in the nicest way)

Pelosi might be the biggest idiot of the two...

5 or 6 years ago when I was living in Cali, that idiotic hooker was trying to pass legislation to give drivers licenses to illegal immigrants...

I'm of the opinion that unfortunately, it's not Boehner at fault (totally). It's the damn crazy wing of the Republican party and the amount of influence they have. Boehner would lose his job if he didn't at least somewhat keep them in line....and you might say, "Well, eff Boehner for caring about his job only", but if he's ousted, do we really want the alternative? A true Tea Party radical in his place? So I don't think Boehner is that bad, but he has a tough reality to deal with in his own party.

As for the "both sides" argument, I get it, I get it. It's popular to rail on about government dysfunction....but then again, that's exactly the Republican game. Not all Republicans, but the zealot faction. Any reasonable observer will acknowledge that they caused this mess, that they are actively flailing around and hurting other parts of the country because they do not have the political ability to actually get what they want via the legislative process.

The only way this doesn't end in utter political suicide for them - and that's a possibility, still - is if they somehow manage to get the country to think, "Hey, it's everyone, not just us." They are making a huge effort to do that. And it's plainly succeeding, to a degree.

Zoogies, by your description, it's almost as if these zealot fringe radicals of the Republican party are waging some sort of spiritual, religious, or ideological war on the American people and are scaring them into submission or like-minded thought.

Too bad there isn't a single word available to describe such a campaign of terror more succinctly.

• Fire 1

And everything Boehner says just reminds me of that Lewis Black standup where he talks about the weapons of mass destruction.

The *House GOPs* are doing something really weird...they're coming out in front of the entire nation, dropping their pants, and just taking a massive sh#t. Then they're looking at us as if nothing just happened and going "...What?" ...Uh, you just took a sh#t! "No we didn't" ...Well, you did. "Well how very unpatriotic of you. That, obviously, is fertilizer."

And Democrats, listen to what these idiots have to say and at least pretend to negotiate.

• Fire 1