Honest Question for everyone with a poll

Who do you think hurt the program most?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some points re; coaching performance...

category #1: Coaching Quality --> team comes out flat many times, below average team focus, confused defense, poor assignment understanding, overall below average fundamentals (fumbles, tackling, sheding blocks), too many illegal formation penalties & penalties in general), below average in-game adjustments, below average half-time adjustments.

category 2: Academics... NU had high 85% graduation rates and was near the top of the conference... now the graduation rates (according to an article posted last week) are at ca. 66% and NU is 9th in graduation rate in the B1G. Bad trend.

category 3: below average hiring by Bo of assistant coaches

category 4: sideline outbursts, media relations, public comments make Bo a below average ambassador of NU football --- most of those problems are more old Bo than new Bo... but he still struggles here to assert that Bo has "re-instilled lost values such as tradition, respect, integrity" --- in view of temper tantrums, F-bombs, throwing players under the bus and his general demeanor --- is well...

ask people outside of NU fans whether Bo has reflected well upon Nu or poorly you will get overwhelmingly that he has reflected poorly upon NU.

Never said bad hire... I said not a good hire... but could readily defend an assessment of bad hire... but will not endeavor to. I'll simply say that the hire was a below average hire and that at Nu... is simply not good enough.

The only reason I didn't add Steve Pederson, is because outside Husker football, no one knows who he is. I don't blame him for firing Solich, but I do blame him for the timing and how it was done. If you were to fire him, get rid of him after the 7-7 season. Not after a 10-2 season. People outside the program only see that number and throw the "WTF is wrong with them" out there. They don't realize the guy only won our division one time, and won the CCG game one time, AFTER inheriting a national championship caliber team, with a STRONG staff under him. I personally think our national reputation took the biggest hit under Solich. Blowout losses were a regular each year starting in the '01 season and its been a trend since. Its not something Bo has created like so many people think. Its just continued under him. Can he stop a 12 year and counting trend? So far that answer points in the "No" direction, but only time will tell, unless we decide to go another path.

Callahan hurt us even more, but I think we were already a program that was not taken serious by the time he got in the door. Instead of being this "great" coach he was suppose to be according to the media and "experts, he became a joke. Not only did he become a joke, he inherited that into Nebraska football. For the first time in '09, we were not a joke. What many of us thought, was this was a turning point in Nebraska football, only if we could put together a DECENT offense. Well, we know how that has gone, completely opposite with the same offensive woes for over a decade, turnovers. We for once since '09, we have the talent to do great things, I just wonder if Bo is so stuck in his last 4 years of coaching in being conservative, when he doesn't have to be. Not trying to give excuses, but its either he lost his edge, or he doesn't really think he has the talent to bring an aggressive defense. I personally would go with him losing his edge. Maybe it will come back, but I won't hold my breathe.

Steve Pederson!

This. Because Pederson was an arrogant jackass without a plan. The coaching search after he fired Solich was an utter clusterf#@k. If Pederson had managed that process better we would not have lost a half a decade of Husker football. Pederson is the villain more than Callahan.

Agree, Frank should never have been fired before another top coach had agreed to take the job.

Steve Pederson!

This. Because Pederson was an arrogant jackass without a plan. The coaching search after he fired Solich was an utter clusterf#@k. If Pederson had managed that process better we would not have lost a half a decade of Husker football. Pederson is the villain more than Callahan.

Agree, Frank should never have been fired before another top coach had agreed to take the job.

I disagreed with Solich on a number of issues. However, for a guy who literally put his heart and soul into the Husker program, literally his life, he was treated with humiliation and disrespect by Pederson. Solich tried to make some changes to his coaching philosophy, hired some good coaches and made an effort to improve himself and the program. Pederson firing Solich was a personal vendetta. For me, as a long time Husker fan, it was an embarrassing moment to fire a guy who gave so much to NU football and the state of Nebraska. Pederson was an embarrassment to the entire State of Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Some people forget that Frank Solich coached a 12 - 1 Husker team that finished #2 in the nation in 1999. Others forget that he coached a relatively mediocre 2001 Huskers team to the National Championship game. Some forget that we were torched that year by a Shawn Watson offense, only to blame later Husker woes on Shawn Watson.

And a lot of folks keep forgetting that Frank Solich was fired for off-the-field issues, a much bigger potential PR headache than Bo's recent tirade.

We also forget that if 2001 - 2013 represents the lowest point in Husker history, most football programs would trade lowpoints a heartbeat. And some would take our lowpoint straight up.

Our worst isn't that bad, but I sure as hell want to see better.

I'm starting to think Bo needs to re-evaluate his staff, hardcore, or else he won't have a job much longer.

Thankfully, I think Beck will make that pretty easy by accepting a HC gig somewhere. Papuchis is where the real fun will begin...

Proven DC + proven OC, please. We also need to do something to increase the focus level of the team. I can't help but wonder what this program would be like if Bo didn't have to completely change his demeanor after the A&M game.

The only reason I didn't add Steve Pederson, is because outside Husker football, no one knows who he is. I don't blame him for firing Solich, but I do blame him for the timing and how it was done. If you were to fire him, get rid of him after the 7-7 season. Not after a 10-2 season. People outside the program only see that number and throw the "WTF is wrong with them" out there. They don't realize the guy only won our division one time, and won the CCG game one time, AFTER inheriting a national championship caliber team, with a STRONG staff under him. I personally think our national reputation took the biggest hit under Solich. Blowout losses were a regular each year starting in the '01 season and its been a trend since. Its not something Bo has created like so many people think. Its just continued under him. Can he stop a 12 year and counting trend? So far that answer points in the "No" direction, but only time will tell, unless we decide to go another path.

Callahan hurt us even more, but I think we were already a program that was not taken serious by the time he got in the door. Instead of being this "great" coach he was suppose to be according to the media and "experts, he became a joke. Not only did he become a joke, he inherited that into Nebraska football. For the first time in '09, we were not a joke. What many of us thought, was this was a turning point in Nebraska football, only if we could put together a DECENT offense. Well, we know how that has gone, completely opposite with the same offensive woes for over a decade, turnovers. We for once since '09, we have the talent to do great things, I just wonder if Bo is so stuck in his last 4 years of coaching in being conservative, when he doesn't have to be. Not trying to give excuses, but its either he lost his edge, or he doesn't really think he has the talent to bring an aggressive defense. I personally would go with him losing his edge. Maybe it will come back, but I won't hold my breathe.

Frank should have had one more year so he would have been the one who broke the bowl streak as that 2004 team had one playmaker on it in Matt Herrian and no depth on the DL and only one scholarship QB in Joe Dailey, then there wouldn't have been a divided fanbase and not even Tom could argue that his forcing of Frank as our next HC was a failure.

So Frank put the program in the toilet, Bill flushed it and Bo has brought us back to the 2002 level of what Frank gave us.

Some people forget that Frank Solich coached a 12 - 1 Husker team that finished #2 in the nation in 1999. Others forget that he coached a relatively mediocre 2001 Huskers team to the National Championship game. Some forget that we were torched that year by a Shawn Watson offense, only to blame later Husker woes on Shawn Watson.

And a lot of folks keep forgetting that Frank Solich was fired for off-the-field issues, a much bigger potential PR headache than Bo's recent tirade.

We also forget that if 2001 - 2013 represents the lowest point in Husker history, most football programs would trade lowpoints a heartbeat. And some would take our lowpoint straight up.

Our worst isn't that bad, but I sure as hell want to see better.

The real reason as to why Bohl was fired....it cost us Ngata and I wouldn't come here either if he cousin went through what he did with Frank covering it up.

Steve Pederson!

I disagreed with Solich on a number of issues. However, for a guy who literally put his heart and soul into the Husker program, literally his life, he was treated with humiliation and disrespect by Pederson. Solich tried to make some changes to his coaching philosophy, hired some good coaches and made an effort to improve himself and the program. Pederson firing Solich was a personal vendetta. For me, as a long time Husker fan, it was an embarrassing moment to fire a guy who gave so much to NU football and the state of Nebraska. Pederson was an embarrassment to the entire State of Nebraska.

I will agree with the way SP handled the situation, but Frank killed this program and deserved to be fired. By him being a lifelong Husker makes it even worse that he allowed the program to slip under his watch.