Honest Question for everyone with a poll

Who do you think hurt the program most?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So curious question. What has to happen with the program before Pederson and Callahan are no longer to blame?

I ask this because there have been other programs that were in disarray and have bounced back pretty quickly. UCLA, Texas A & M , Louisville, Miami. Even looing back at Clemson-They fired their coach in the middle of the season, then Dabo fired coaches from the staff during that season and they are now ranked #3.

Wondering what everyone thinks.

I went with Bo. Obviously Cal... was a horrible fit and didn't help us but some teams during his tenure weren't regarded as very good teams if I remember correctly. He had a decent year when we lost to OU in the CCG but other than that nothing special.

Now the reason I picked Pelini is based all on perception to me. Pelini has had teams that were expected to contend for conference titles, BCS bowls and if something crazy happens a MNC. He has yet to accomplish any of those things. Now not accomplishing these things would be acceptable if he wouldn't continue to get blown out on national TV in the biggest games of the year. I just feel like the program has stalled and we are headed for another 10 win season with no CCG win.

What? Every single one of Bo's teams has contended for conference titles. And while Bo obviously hasn't gotten over the hump of what we had expected him to do, "another 10 win season" is certainly better than anything Callahan pulled off. I don't think Bo is great, but he got us back to a quality baseline. Callahan and Pederson dipped far below anything that ever should be allowed to happen.

Contend all we want everyone here knows that CCG wins are expected around here. Obviously more difficult than it was in the TO era due to talent distribution, but there is still no reason we shouldn't have 2 conference titles in the Bo tenure. He was severely out coached in the 2nd half of the OU game and who knows what the hell happened against Wisconsin.

I will agree that 10 win seasons are better than anything Callahan pulled off. That's why like I stated it comes down to expectations. There weren't many expectations for Callahan teams. The teams that Bo has had the last few years have been expected to accomplish more. Do I hope Bo gets it turned around and accomplishes all of the goals that the team has for this year? I would be crazy not to want him to. But to this date we have no reason to believe that he will and the blowout loses, I feel, have hurt our perception nationally more than anything else.

So curious question. What has to happen with the program before Pederson and Callahan are no longer to blame?

I ask this because there have been other programs that were in disarray and have bounced back pretty quickly. UCLA, Texas A & M , Louisville, Miami. Even looing back at Clemson-They fired their coach in the middle of the season, then Dabo fired coaches from the staff during that season and they are now ranked #3.

I don't think anyone is blaming Pederson/Callahan for where the program is now, but they'll never not be to blame for where it was during their era, and the first year-ish of Bo's.

Bo owns his own problems, beginning with the 2008 season. There's a smidge of gray area in 2008, but pretty much after that it's Bo's baby.

I don't blame the coaches. (But I marked Callahan because I couldn't stand that guy) Deep down, we all know the real culprit: The Curse of Black Friday [Friday....Friday....Friday...] The image of Nebraska Football, which had been built over the course of 4 decades, (or since the beginning, if we're going there) was ground into the side of the mountain that night. It has not been seen since. There really is nothing special about our program. There were hints of greatness from the '09 Blackshirts, but that's it. No more than a flash. However, it would be fair to point out that Solich let things slip. As a teacher and coach, I've learned a saying: 'You encourage what you allow.' Solich allowed a lot of corner cutting and sluffing off. Thought we would succeed 'because we're Nebraska.' But I thought he turned it around in '03 and his firing killed Nebraska football. It was a travesty that Bill Callahan ever stepped foot on Nebraska soil. He was and is the antithesis of everything Devaney and Osborne built.

• Fire 1

All three hires were mistakes.

When NU hired Solich, they were on top of the world , had the best program in the nation and could have hired anyone. They chose inexperienced and in house. Big mistake. The oppertunity cost was high --- they could have hired huge and did not. Solich was not a horrible coach... he was OK (better than either Callahan or Pelini)... but NU based upon it market position at the time could have reached for the moon... and chose not to.

When they hired Callahan... NU was no longer the top coaching destination (as they were when they hired Solich)... but NU still was a very, very good destination position to have. This time they went with experience --- which, generally speaking, is the right thing to do. BUT... you go with experienced excellence... not experienced mediocrity. Callahan was so bad with the Raiders his team mutinied against him. It was almost unfathomable that NU hired the guy. Disaster ensued.

By the time NU hired Pelini, the program was no longer among the elite and probably even a small notch below the next level... a top 15 type position or so. That is still a good market position to go after an experienced coach with documented success elsewhere. Whether it was the nature of the people involved in the search... just what, I am not sure... but they went with an inexperienced coach. Pelini has done an unacceptable job.

As to who caused the most damage... the question I think is too personal... I would rephrase it this way --- In what era --- the Solich era, the Callahan Era, or the Pelini era --- did the NU program slide the most? By putting it in eras rather than tagging it to just the HC, it reflects the contributions of the AD, the assistent coaches, the HC --- everyone in the program at the time.

So... NU slid the worst under the Callahan regime. Bo, is the first coach to move the arrow in the right direction (if but modestly and but for a time). Under Solich (the best coach of the three) the arrow pointed the wrong way (NU was becoming less competitive). That said, how could it not... he inherited a team that one 3 of 4 NC's! Under Callahan, the arrow again was the wrong way... big time. NU got much less competitive. Bo and his staff turned the arrow the right way and NU got better. It then stalled and now the arrow is, perhaps, pointing the wrong way again (or there is no arrow... no incline or decline). Under Bo, the program recovered a little (not as much as it should have) and has since stalled or turned the wrong way.

• Fire 1

Fast recovery requires a good to great coach. Were NU to hire such a coach, I'd full well expect a fast recovery. After Solich, NU did not hire a good or great coach. No such recovery... in fact, it was further decline. After Callahan, NU again failed to hire a good or great coach. The hope is that after Pelini, NU will hire such a coach...

If so, NU is perched to experience a fast recovery... like the schools you mentioned.

I don't blame the coaches. (But I marked Callahan because I couldn't stand that guy) Deep down, we all know the real culprit: The Curse of Black Friday [Friday....Friday....Friday...] The image of Nebraska Football, which had been built over the course of 4 decades, (or since the beginning, if we're going there) was ground into the side of the mountain that night. It has not been seen since. There really is nothing special about our program. There were hints of greatness from the '09 Blackshirts, but that's it. No more than a flash. However, it would be fair to point out that Solich let things slip. As a teacher and coach, I've learned a saying: 'You encourage what you allow.' Solich allowed a lot of corner cutting and sluffing off. Thought we would succeed 'because we're Nebraska.' But I thought he turned it around in '03 and his firing killed Nebraska football. It was a travesty that Bill Callahan ever stepped foot on Nebraska soil. He was and is the antithesis of everything Devaney and Osborne built.

Nailed it. Black Friday - I remember sitting on the floor of my in-laws garage in Brookings, SD (home of SDSU) changing brakes on my car listening to that game. I hate changing brakes and I hate Co Buffaloes - could not believe my ears. Crouch just about willed us back into the game but he wasn't enough. That was the day we found out that our reputation was living on past glory - the Miami NCG only reinforced it. We had the opportunity, to regain it after 2003 if Frank had more time wt his new staff. BC / Peterson ruined that opportunity. I placed a mark by BC name - unfortunately Bo has stabilized the program put we still remain a non-player on the national scene. Frank's 1999 team outside of the fumble against texas should have won the national championship. He blew out Tenn in the Fiesta Bowl - that was a very good team.

When NU hired Solich, they were on top of the world , had the best program in the nation and could have hired anyone. They chose inexperienced and in house. Big mistake. The oppertunity cost was high --- they could have hired huge and did not. Solich was not a horrible coach... he was OK (better than either Callahan or Pelini)... but NU based upon it market position at the time could have reached for the moon... and chose not to.

When they hired Callahan... NU was no longer the top coaching destination (as they were when they hired Solich)... but NU still was a very, very good destination position to have. This time they went with experience --- which, generally speaking, is the right thing to do. BUT... you go with experienced excellence... not experienced mediocrity. Callahan was so bad with the Raiders his team mutinied against him. It was almost unfathomable that NU hired the guy. Disaster ensued.

By the time NU hired Pelini, the program was no longer among the elite and probably even a small notch below the next level... a top 15 type position or so. That is still a good market position to go after an experienced coach with documented success elsewhere. Whether it was the nature of the people involved in the search... just what, I am not sure... but they went with an inexperienced coach. Pelini has done an unacceptable job.

As to who caused the most damage... the question I think is too personal... I would rephrase it this way --- In what era --- the Solich era, the Callahan Era, or the Pelini era --- did the NU program slide the most? By putting it in eras rather than tagging it to just the HC, it reflects the contributions of the AD, the assistent coaches, the HC --- everyone in the program at the time.

So... NU slid the worst under the Callahan regime. Bo, is the first coach to move the arrow in the right direction (if but modestly and but for a time). Under Solich (the best coach of the three) the arrow pointed the wrong way (NU was becoming less competitive). That said, how could it not... he inherited a team that one 3 of 4 NC's! Under Callahan, the arrow again was the wrong way... big time. NU got much less competitive. Bo and his staff turned the arrow the right way and NU got better. It then stalled and now the arrow is, perhaps, pointing the wrong way again (or there is no arrow... no incline or decline). Under Bo, the program recovered a little (not as much as it should have) and has since stalled or turned the wrong way.

You realize that TO hired Bo because the Nebraska fans were screaming for him to be our next coach, right?

Sometimes there isn't someone to blame. Sometimes it's nobody's fault, it's just the way that circumstances work out and you can't do anything about it.

Rex Burkhead catches a fly route and Taylor doesn't get his ankle stepped on by Caputo and Bo goes undefeated in 2010.

Colt McCoy throws the ball one degree of an angle higher and the clock runs out and we win the Big XII in 2009.

Sometimes, things just happen.

You realize that TO hired Bo because the Nebraska fans were screaming for him to be our next coach, right?

I have no idea what was in Tom's head when he hired Bo. Neither do you. Knowing another persons reasons for what they do with any level of accuracy is not likely. Why Tom hired Bo... none of us can say. That is not at all to say that the hire was somehow inexplicable... one can envision an array of rational reasons to hire him... and many reasons not to. At the time I thought it a mistake (as did many --- and, as well and in contrast, many thought it was sound). In any event, the hire was not a good one. Disastrous? Probably not. Good? Certainly not.

In any event, the hire was not a good one. Disastrous? Probably not. Good? Certainly not.

How on earth can you ever justify calling a coach that came in to a broken, fractured, less-than-mediocre football program, turned it around by 4 wins and got it back to sustained success, competing for championships, and re-instilling lost values such as tradition, respect, integrity and hard work a bad hire?

In any event, the hire was not a good one. Disastrous? Probably not. Good? Certainly not.

How on earth can you ever justify calling a coach that came in to a broken, fractured, less-than-mediocre football program, turned it around by 4 wins and got it back to sustained success, competing for championships, and re-instilling lost values such as tradition, respect, integrity and hard work a bad hire?

agree, landlord. and i still contend the jury should still be out for bo. personally, i think he can get us the sustained success we expect. he has proven he can coach championship defenses. we have a pretty loaded offense. he just needs to put it together and get their psyche right.

maybe i am wrong, but i think no one knows yet if bo is the right guy for the job. and because of that, we might as well stick with him because it is still less of a risk than hire a new coach (unless we could get saban).

• Fire 1