It's about respect - Where Are They Now: Michael Booker

knapplc

I was at that Fiesta Bowl game and I know several of the guys on that team

When they talked about that game, they KNEW they were going to win it and win it big before the game even started

NU players were doing some kind of deal where they were yanking their arms down in the air like when you ask a Semi Driver to toot his horn

It was some type of Mack Truck thing the Florida players had used during their season

First time Ive really seen a Husker team taunt another team and yes I did see the warm up thing BTW I saw the EXACT same thing at the 94 Orange Bowl

A few NU players were playing catch on the 10 yard line, still in their street clothes about 2 hours prior to the game. About 10 Miami guys come in with their game pants on, no shoulder pads, run around the outer edge fo the field, next to the stands, talking to Miami fans and friends and made a point of running RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE of the 10-12 NU kids throwing the ball around on the 10 yard line That pissed me off and I was sitting 50 rows up. I was yelling insults as loud as I could, little different then. NU played physical and angry, best game Ive ever seen live. We were sitting in a group of 20 husker fans in the middle of the "true hate" of taunting drunk nasty Miami fans. It was a real treat wandering through the barbed wire enclosed ghetto that was the Orange Bowl back then, looking for our charter bus ride back to the hotel. That was a very nice ride back with a freshly printed game sign with the score, wet red ink smeared over my sweated out arms as we shouted back smack to the Miami "fans" as jubilant Husker fans became one defiant, overjoyed team. For some reason some of the public transport was down so there were hundreds of NU fans stranded without transportation- a whole bunch of them banded to together and WALKED OUT- to their hotles (not close) and if youve ever seen this ghetto it's one of the worst. Wild stuff

I just can't wrap my head around it. The list of reasons for defenses struggles just keeps growing. Everybody has a different reason. The coaches, the players, the fans, the newspapers, the radio hosts, they all have something different to say. They all also make a lot of the same points.

What's so incredible about it is that I buy into each of them a little bit. Including everything you mentioned here knapp.

This is what's troubling. A defensive minded head coach has a terrible defense with a list of problems that is growing not shrinking. The product in the field appears to be getting worse. How does this happen with " a defensive guru" as a HC? It's just baffling to me.

We shouldn't expect miracles from this young defense. Not now, and not in the beginning of the season. But PROGRESS is something that should be expected. A guru is a master and a teacher of his craft. This should not be a challenge to at least make this team better week to week. NO MIRACLES, JUST PROGRESS.

I've said my stance on the problems before. I'll say them again. My number one problem is scheme. A scheme that puts players on islands. That requires 11 people to be in the right spot at the right time. Where a single breakdown can cause huge leaks. A scheme that uses off coverage down after down. A scheme that rarely blitzes and barely even brings pressure packages with the front four.

The youth and inexperience is obvious. The lack of talent? No. I think we are loaded. Unfortunately there's too much thinking. Lots of read and react instead of coming in with a simple, solid plan of attack and doing what we do best. We are still always searching for the "right call" for each play. Let's just utilize the talent we have in the best way we can. Don't try to make your players fit your scheme, make the scheme fit your players. This is especially true up front. These front four have got to be unleashed. I won't buy into any defense that doesn't bring pressure. Ever.

Lastly. We continuously talk about leaders on this defense. Vocal leaders and leading by actions on the field during game day. Who is rallying the troops? I think there is something to be said about this that not a lot of people point out, but put yourself in a work scenario. Your leading a team of 5 people on a project. Things are not coming together right and it looks like things are not going to come together by your deadline. You want to be vocal. You want to gear this thing by the reins and pull it together. One problem. You are as lost as the rest of the group. You keep making mistakes right along with them. Kind of hard to be a leader, to open your mouth, tell everyone else how it should be done when fact is, your not even really comfortable in your own position. It's not a complicated theory, but I believe it's very valid.

As far as guys quitting, laying down or whatever they want to call it, I don't know what you can say for that. Cant build a Blackshirt defense with pu55ies and quitters. So if that's the case, we are screwed, Bo is screwed, and so are the guys on the team that give a damn. Let's hope that's not the case. But like someone said earlier, unless you're there or part of it, what do you possibly know about it? Nothing I guess. I was hoping the guru, the guy who should know, would have had some answers by now.

• Fire 1

I was at that Fiesta Bowl game and I know several of the guys on that team

When they talked about that game, they KNEW they were going to win it and win it big before the game even started

Yep. They had zero lack of confidence heading into that game.

Funny story - I had heard about this confidence heading into the game and went into the game thinking we were going to do well. Wife had some friends from work who invited us over to their place to watch the game. Florida Gator alums, both of them. Game starts, Florida is doing well enough, it's 10-7 after the first quarter. I'm thinking, I thought we were going to win this one easily? C'mon guys!

I'm nervous because I'm always nervous in games like that back then - kind of a stage-fright-by-proxy thing going on. Commercial break after the first quarter, we're making chit-chat with the other couple, they're pretty confident and kinda talking down - slightly - to the hicks from Nebraska.

Then the second quarter happened.

:D

I spent all of halftime consoling the husband. You know, they could come back. Wuerffel is a good quarterback. bap bap bap

The second half... well, we all know what happened. One of the most fun halves of football ever. But not for our hosts.

So it goes.

• Fire 1

The youth and inexperience is obvious. The lack of talent? No. I think we are loaded.

I think our NFL draft picks over the past 25 years can be a general indicator of talent level. Those numbers are telling. If we are "loaded", it's our underclassmen. Do you think any seniors on defense other than Baptiste might get their name called? Ankrah? Randle? Umm, no. We are not loaded.

This is what's troubling. A defensive minded head coach has a terrible defense with a list of problems that is growing not shrinking. The product in the field appears to be getting worse. How does this happen with " a defensive guru" as a HC? It's just baffling to me.

I actually think the problems are shrinking.

We struck out spectacularly with some of our defensive recruiting, most notably on the line, up until around the class of '12. This DL has not been remotely the same since the 2010 season, but we're finally seeing some of the new talent shine through. And there's hope that even more of them will. Aaron Curry y'all. (Just tossing out one name, there are a bunch)

The linebackers group, we're taking a step forward there, but everyone is young. Aren't we fielding a true freshman or two? Zaire with the torn ACL last year.

The secondary, still troubling, I think. We've had this situation since 2010, again, save for Dennard, who left a year later. We finally have a breakout player in SJB (that's a receiver out there!) but for all the other young talent that should have had plenty of opportunities by now, are they going to step up? Or is this going to be a continuing trouble spot? Jonathan Rose, Charles Jackson, etc, etc, anybody?

Not to ignore the entire 'attitude' angle and the overall tenor of the program. The early recruiting issues under this staff have been harped on at length, and frequently it's been pointed out during the '11 and '12 seasons that what we were seeing were those failures being brought to bear. Now, finally, we're seeing the next wave of talent infusion rise through the ranks and there's a lot to like about their prospects.

The youth and inexperience is obvious. The lack of talent? No. I think we are loaded.

I think our NFL draft picks over the past 25 years can be a general indicator of talent level. Those numbers are telling. If we are "loaded", it's our underclassmen. Do you think any seniors on defense other than Baptiste might get their name called? Ankrah? Randle? Umm, no. We are not loaded.

Isn't our entire defense underclassmen? As for your question, no I don't think so at all other than Baptiste. I forgot Ankrah and Randle even still played for us it's been so long since they've made a play. So ya, I think our defense is loaded with underclass talent? Lol. I stand by my previous statement. This is a very athletic and talented group of guys. I also like the size of the DL we have brought in lately.

• Fire 1

I agree that the young talent on this team seems very promising. It's the attitude that troubles me. How does a defense that fielded Suh, Hagg, Gomes, Amukamara, Dennard, Crick and the rest seemingly forget how to play badass defense? There's no fire, no passion. It's baffling to me that these guys played among giants yet (seem to) have no drive today.

What causes this attitude though? How can you go out there and not give a damn? If this is the case, how do you fix this "attitude"? I guess I've just always assumed guys on defense love to hit, love to play, and love to make plays? Passion, "want to" and work ethic were things I guess I just took for granted as part of football. Especially at this level.

A coach at this level should not have to coach this. This sort of accountability is at the player level. One thing is for sure. Coach is calling these guys out repeatedly.

This.

Coaches definitely make a difference. But they can also only do so much. If you can't get yourself fired up to play at this level, there's really nothing the coach can do on that front.