It's about respect - Where Are They Now: Michael Booker

knapplc

Talent alone won't win you anything.

You and I would simply disagree on this point.

So many of those top rated recruiting classes put together by teams like Texas and Notre Dame flopped

Texas had won ONE National Title in what the last 50 years?

Meanwhile teams like Boise State and Kansas State are lucky to have recruiting classes in the top 50, yet field top 10-15 teams

NU under Osborne rarely had top 15 recruiting classes

Talent is important

So is coaching

Agreed. I do think Kansas State goes as their recruiting goes though. They are erratic in the polls over the years. They didn't just lose motivation from last year to this year.....they lost a boat load of talent.

Agreed. I do think Kansas State goes as their recruiting goes though. They are erratic in the polls over the years. They didn't just lose motivation from last year to this year.....they lost a boat load of talent.

ALWAYS well coached-

But have you been to the "Little Apple" I have quite a few times, really hard to recruit to, MUCH worse than Lincoln

Snyders recruiting classes pale in comparison to anyone consistently in the top 20

Erratic- really:

Here is a sampling of seasons IN A ROW:

10-2

9-3

11-1

11-2

11-1

11-3

6-6

11-2

11-4

Of late after having to take over from Prince- real rebuild:

6-6

7-6

10-3

11-2

I see a lot of consistency there

Always well coached

Always play hard

Dont beat themselves

Not a lot of NFL talent

Really hard to recruit to, so their JUCO thing may have major swings in talent, which for the most part seems to be overcome fairly well with pretty solid coaching

Snyder has also spawned many successful DI Head Coaches, Like him or not, he's done an incredible job there

You and I would simply disagree on this point.

If talent alone won you games, don't you think Texas would have a couple more championships? Or USC? Michigan? Coaching is just as important as talent.

We could say that Texas' lone championship was based more on talent than anything, specifically Vince Young's talent to take them over the edge. But with the amount of talent that they have had, better coaching certainly could have carried them to more championships. Auburn's championship rode on Cam Newton's amazing talent, I don't think many people think of Gene Chizik as a great coach. But winning championships is hard, it takes a hell of a lot more than just a windfall of talent. You gotta have excellent coaching, and even a few strokes of luck here or there (although a well coached team tends to make its own luck) to get all the way to the top, and especially to stay there for any period of time.

Right now its about giving this defense a chance to improve and gain confidence. The next three games can do that. BP doesn't have to change to much of his scheme to do this. He needs to get his defensive play calling paired downs as much as possible 5-6 basic calls that will work in multiple situations. He needs to blitz more and expect his players to play better. I know they set goals statistically for every game, but they really need to emphasize it. If the goal is 100 or less rushing and 200 passing really get it through guys heads, but don't beat them up if it doesn't happen.

While this is going on the offense needs to be doing their part. NU should be able to put at least 40 on Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. That will take pressure off of the defense to perform at too high a level. The only team IMO that may out talent Nebraska left on the schedule is Michigan.

Right now its about giving this defense a chance to improve and gain confidence. The next three games can do that. BP doesn't have to change to much of his scheme to do this. He needs to get his defensive play calling paired downs as much as possible 5-6 basic calls that will work in multiple situations. He needs to blitz more and expect his players to play better. I know they set goals statistically for every game, but they really need to emphasize it. If the goal is 100 or less rushing and 200 passing really get it through guys heads, but don't beat them up if it doesn't happen.

While this is going on the offense needs to be doing their part. NU should be able to put at least 40 on Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. That will take pressure off of the defense to perform at too high a level. The only team IMO that may out talent Nebraska left on the schedule is Michigan.

Well there it is

An internet coach with all the answers

Someone who hasnt even been to a practice or ever coached in College thinks he knows more about how to coach this team or what they should do than these experienced coaches

Dont you know they want to win more than you do? That their jobs may depend on this?

How dare you think you know more about this team or how to coach it and what they should do than the coaching staff :sarcasm

Carry on- it's a message board for venting and discussion. More power to you, its what message boards are for. Anyone can post anything regardless of their qualifications or knowledge level.

Just showing the hypocricy of challenging anyones posting opinions about this team on a message board chuckleshuffle

NOT posted at you in any way, not the intention, a very general statement

Read the quote from Coach Raymond

How do you know I wasn't there when CR said that? You presume things you should not presume.

I have no idea if you were there or not. What does that have to do with anything? I'm referring to the content of the quote.

You tell people to read quotes from coaches a lot. It presumes they don't know what the coach said, and that's not a wise presumption.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what Coach Raymond said about Nebraska vs. South Carolina. That's not the point of my little tirade in the OP. It's about game in, game out effort, respecting themselves and their teammates enough to give maximum effort. Talent has zero, zilch, zip, nada to do with effort. Nothing.

Go read the OP again. You'll get it.

The quote from Raymond was not to point out the "talent" issue, but to reiterate the "getting punched in the mouth" and learning to punch back. Our D, for whatever reason, has really lost this get mean and fight back attitude. They have lost respect in themselves and seems like they have no shame in turning in early ie UCLA and Wyoming.

I just remember people were so shocked about the comment then, BUT 2 years removed our D still plays soft and lacks the attitude needed to consistently field a solid product for 4 quarters.

I liked Enunwa's comments that this summer, he decided that no one would outwork him. IMO, it shows. That is a winners attitude, a fighter and a guy who gets "it".

Well there it is

An internet coach with all the answers

Someone who hasnt even been to a practice or ever coached in College thinks he knows more about how to coach this team or what they should do than these experienced coaches

Dont you know they want to win more than you do? That their jobs may depend on this?

How dare you think you know more about this team or how to coach it and what they should do than the coaching staff :sarcasm

Carry on- it's a message board for venting and discussion. More power to you, its what message boards are for. Anyone can post anything regardless of their qualifications or knowledge level.

Just showing the hypocricy of challenging anyones posting opinions about this team on a message board chuckleshuffle

NOT posted at you in any way, not the intention, a very general statement

This kind of post has no place on a message board. Where do you think you are? In a forum talking amongst fans or in a locker room talking amongst other coaches?

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, qualified or not. It's in the discussion where we hone our understanding. Some people bring direct knowledge of this team and coaches, some bring indirect knowledge from coaching other teams, others simply bring passion for the team. There is absolutely NO qualification necessary to form an opinion on this team, ESPECIALLY on an internet forum.

Implying as much is absurd.

• Fire 2

Ok so let me get this straight:

Suggesting this team may be more productive/win more games/score more points with a different QB at the helm isnt good. Making a suggestion about that, which is different than what the coaching staff believes in is bad.

But suggesting this team do something different scheme wise or play wise to win more games/be more productive which is different than what the coaching staff believes in is ok/good?

Both imply you know more than the coaching staff. THe latter seems to be ok with many, with many of the same guys seeing it somehow unsacred to have the same type of dissent about the former.

That was my point

How dare you think you know more about this team or how to coach it and what they should do than the coaching staff

Says the guy who thinks the coaches are stupid for playing Taylor Martinez.

Anyways, I think TheSker is misunderstanding the point you're trying to make, knapp. Is this right when I say this: if this team put in all the effort on the field (and it showed) yet still lost the game, it wouldn't matter as much to you? Basically, you're not looking at how the effort factors into the outcome, you just flat out don't see as much effort as you have in the past?

• Fire 1

Anyways, I think TheSker is misunderstanding the point you're trying to make, knapp. Is this right when I say this: if this team put in all the effort on the field (and it showed) yet still lost the game, it wouldn't matter as much to you? Basically, you're not looking at how the effort factors into the outcome, you just flat out don't see as much effort as you have in the past?

The bold is correct. To the next sentence, I'm not sure what you're saying. Giving maximum effort doesn't always equate to wins, but I'm willing to accept losses where the team clearly competes throughout the game rather than gives up when the tide swings against them.

How dare you think you know more about this team or how to coach it and what they should do than the coaching staff

Says the guy who thinks the coaches are stupid for playing Taylor Martinez.

Ok so let me get this straight:

Suggesting this team may be more productive/win more games/score more points with a different QB at the helm isnt good. Making a suggestion about that, which is different than what the coaching staff believes in is bad.

But suggesting this team do something different scheme wise or play wise to win more games/be more productive which is different than what the coaching staff believes in is ok/good?

Both imply you know more than the coaching staff. THe latter seems to be ok with many, with many of the same guys seeing it somehow unsacred to have the same type of dissent about the former.

That was my point- read it- I was using something called sarcasm to make a point LOL To help you get that- I even used the SARCASM insert, unreal comprehension

The bold is correct. To the next sentence, I'm not sure what you're saying. Giving maximum effort doesn't always equate to wins, but I'm willing to accept losses where the team clearly competes throughout the game rather than gives up when the tide swings against them.

The second sentence was just an explanation of the bolded sentence. I think TheSker was thinking that you thought that effort leads to wins, period--which isn't entirely true. I'm sure South Dakota State and Wyoming gave all the effort possible but still came up short. Hence the whole discussion about talent.

The second sentence was just an explanation of the bolded sentence. I think TheSker was thinking that you thought that effort leads to wins, period--which isn't entirely true. I'm sure South Dakota State and Wyoming gave all the effort possible but still came up short. Hence the whole discussion about talent.

Effort isn't even what I'm on about, though. Effort is a byproduct of self-respect. Effort is down the road from where these guys need to be. Wins are even further down that road. First they have to have the respect for themselves, this program, the coaches and fans and their teammates. Once they have that, effort comes easier. With greater effort, wins come easier. But nothing is guaranteed, especially not wins. It's not a round ball.

Knap is on to something here

Even if the talent improves, there is something missing here

Championship teams are not about talent alone

If youve played competitive sports at a high level and won championships, you know about this

You are always beating teams with more talent than your team because you share that commom vision, are coached well and you play together

Championship teams have the "it" factor

They play for each other, they never back down, they dont let their teammates down

Some of the NU coaches seem to be saying this between the lines

Solving it is a coaching issue

Sure you see some attempts at solving for that- why do you think they had all the Seal/Military training thing going on?

Recruiting issue? maybe some. But Bo has said he concentrates on recruting kids who are winners- have played for teams that know how to win, know the sacrifices needed to win

Something there- not sure how it gets solved

Dr Tom certainly had it figured out

• Fire 1