It's about respect - Where Are They Now: Michael Booker

knapplc

And people hates this guys comments.............

>> The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”

What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?

“Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”

Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”

Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

Great post Knapp. No one respects the Blackshirts. The players, the staff, the fans or our opponents. Bo and Co can do all they want, but this self -respect and refusal to roll over and quit comes from the team. It can't be recruited, taught or practiced. The guys have to learn it on their own.

I would have thought that after the beatings we got last year, some of these guys would have busted their a$$ to NEVER EVER play like that again. The only improved vet seems to be SJB.

It is a sad day in Blackshirt lore when the toughest SOB's are on O and receivers are your hardest hitters (Enunwa and Bell)

I also think that there has been a definite change in the attitude of this team after Bo's balls were taken after the A&M game. Angry Bo was a winner. Calm Bo, not so much. Teams take on the personality of their coaches.

How does a defense that fielded Suh, Hagg, Gomes, Amukamara, Dennard, Crick and the rest seemingly forget how to play badass defense?

They didn't forget. They are simply not as good as the names above.

It's not as simple as that. Wyoming has never had that kind of talent. Neither has SDSU. But both came into our house and played with passion and fire, just like the guys I listed.

Talent levels can be thrown out in this discussion. It's about passion, effort, and will. That's the "respect" angle I'm on about.

Read the quote from Coach Raymond a couple of posts above this one....the one from lo country. Yes, I'm sure Wyoming and SDSU played with fire.....and it didn't hurt their cause that we are not as talented as we need to be. Talent matters. And it matters in a big way. We're getting there, but the past couple of years, our talent level....especially on defense.....has been way down.

What causes this attitude though? How can you go out there and not give a damn? If this is the case, how do you fix this "attitude"? I guess I've just always assumed guys on defense love to hit, love to play, and love to make plays? Passion, "want to" and work ethic were things I guess I just took for granted as part of football. Especially at this level.

Sad thing is....many solid teams out there who get upset by a "lesser' team, don't come in the game focused, with attitude. They take the other team lightly. I believe that starts with the culture coming from the coaches. The coaches have to create an environment that breeds the "respect every opponent" and "crush any opponent when their down" type of mentalities IMO.

Another troubling thing is, I don't think this will happen over the bye-week. This is going to take the rest of the season....let's just hope that come BIG10 play against NW and Mich, NEB has that "killer" edge.

And I dont think that is even an issue with coaches. It's an issue with athletics-hell, with society-as a whole. The attitude amongst kids and the athletes they are becoming just seems to be little-what's the word here?-passive?

Even talking heads complain now and then about Lebron James not having that killer instinct, that competitive hair-on-fire demeanor when he's playin.

Even the big bad Bama has a letdown or three every year. Now a days, I dont think you can judge teams on whether they have those letdowns, but rather are they good enough to overcome them.

Now, this isnt a bunch of excuses for our situation on defense. It really has come to dire straights on that side of the ball. But, we have to stop expecting perfection and start hoping for progress. Progress is not too much to ask for.

Read the quote from Coach Raymond

How do you know I wasn't there when CR said that? You presume things you should not presume.

I have no idea if you were there or not. What does that have to do with anything? I'm referring to the content of the quote. Maybe I should have said "That's a very telling quote from Coach Raymond".

How do you know I wasn't there when CR said that? You presume things you should not presume.

I have no idea if you were there or not. What does that have to do with anything? I'm referring to the content of the quote.

You tell people to read quotes from coaches a lot. It presumes they don't know what the coach said, and that's not a wise presumption.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what Coach Raymond said about Nebraska vs. South Carolina. That's not the point of my little tirade in the OP. It's about game in, game out effort, respecting themselves and their teammates enough to give maximum effort. Talent has zero, zilch, zip, nada to do with effort. Nothing.

Go read the OP again. You'll get it.

I have no idea if you were there or not. What does that have to do with anything? I'm referring to the content of the quote.

You tell people to read quotes from coaches a lot. It presumes they don't know what the coach said, and that's not a wise presumption.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what Coach Raymond said about Nebraska vs. South Carolina. That's not the point of my little tirade in the OP. It's about game in, game out effort, respecting themselves and their teammates enough to give maximum effort. Talent has zero, zilch, zip, nada to do with effort. Nothing.

Go read the OP again. You'll get it.

First, let me apologize. My intent was not to stir you up. And I agree that every player should put forth maximum effort.....but as I've written before, our lesser talented players can put forth all the effort they can, but their lack of talent is going to be exploited by the other team. Every time.

Bill Callahan thought you could simply plug more-talented players into positions and win games. Talent alone won't win you anything.

It doesnt hurt

While BC may have been a nice guy, a great NFL position coach, all that positive stuff etc

Great coaches know how to utilize their LIMITED practice time efficiently, it's about priorities. The college game isnt the NFL where they can practice 4 hours every day and be in meetings the other 6

BC had a 500 page playbook and some of the plays they ran on Saturday, they hadnt even practiced that week or maybe got 1 rep, he was PROUD of that LOL

It's about adapting what you do to your talent level, you dont have a perfect mix of kids every year for what you want to do. You cant cut, draft, trade, option for the near perfect mix of what you want to do.

These arent professionals, they are younger and many have different motivations than NFL players

Bringing teams together in a cohesive- all for one, one for all visionquest isnt about who watches the most film or someone who is an Xs and Os savant, it takes skill

Managing your team and your staff is much like being the CEO of a major corporation, lots of good position coaches or even coordinators, arent built for that

Its about developing talent and getting kids to buy into YOUR vision

Building that environment where kids want to work hard, want to play for each other and want to play hard on every snap of every game and practice- is coaching, not something Im sure BC did well.

Talent alone won't win you anything.

You and I would simply disagree on this point.

So many of those top rated recruiting classes put together by teams like Texas and Notre Dame flopped

Texas had won ONE National Title in what the last 50 years?

Meanwhile teams like Boise State and Kansas State are lucky to have recruiting classes in the top 50, yet field top 10-15 teams

NU under Osborne rarely had top 15 recruiting classes

Talent is important

So is coaching

Talent alone won't win you anything.

You and I would simply disagree on this point.

Not sure if serious.

I'm moderately serious.....and I'm ok with being disagreed with on this point. I'll take a team of four star athletes over a team of Rudys.....and I don't focus on the star system, just using that example we understand. And of course I believe coaching is equally as important. Again, I'm totally ok with being disagreed with, but our talent level has been way down. I think Coach Raymond's quote showed a recognition of that by our staff.....thus our last two recruiting classes have been much improved in the areas we needed to step up our talent level.