It's about respect - Where Are They Now: Michael Booker

knapplc

What causes this attitude though? How can you go out there and not give a damn? If this is the case, how do you fix this "attitude"? I guess I've just always assumed guys on defense love to hit, love to play, and love to make plays? Passion, "want to" and work ethic were things I guess I just took for granted as part of football. Especially at this level.

Sad thing is....many solid teams out there who get upset by a "lesser' team, don't come in the game focused, with attitude. They take the other team lightly. I believe that starts with the culture coming from the coaches. The coaches have to create an environment that breeds the "respect every opponent" and "crush any opponent when their down" type of mentalities IMO.

Another troubling thing is, I don't think this will happen over the bye-week. This is going to take the rest of the season....let's just hope that come BIG10 play against NW and Mich, NEB has that "killer" edge.

And I dont think that is even an issue with coaches. It's an issue with athletics-hell, with society-as a whole. The attitude amongst kids and the athletes they are becoming just seems to be little-what's the word here?-passive?

Even talking heads complain now and then about Lebron James not having that killer instinct, that competitive hair-on-fire demeanor when he's playin.

Even the big bad Bama has a letdown or three every year. Now a days, I dont think you can judge teams on whether they have those letdowns, but rather are they good enough to overcome them.

Now, this isnt a bunch of excuses for our situation on defense. It really has come to dire straights on that side of the ball. But, we have to stop expecting perfection and start hoping for progress. Progress is not too much to ask for.

You definitely have a point and to add to the bold above, it definitely has me thinking.......

Maybe NEB's defense is missing leaders....

I would say Compton was a strong leader at the Mike LB last year and there were times when the defense helped play a good role in the comeback wins.

And hell, I even think Taylor is a decent leader on the team as well. I just think that the poor showings for the first 3 games on offense had more to do with Taylor's lack of abilities (turf toe and shoulder issue) and also the fact that the offense as a whole wasn't clicking well. When Taylor makes big plays, the offense rallies around him IMO. It isn't necessarily his verbal leadership qualities, but his actions to what get the offense in a groove and clicking.

This is very difficult to have when your front 7 are dominated by freshmen and sophomores. It is extremely difficult if not impossible for a true freshman to come in and be a leader when he is going through growing pains himself.

Playing freshmen are fine when they are surrounded by upper classmen and other experienced players so they can be coached on the field. But, when a true freshman is confused about something and he turns to his buddy for help and he is another freshman.....that tends to lead to break downs and missed assignments.

Right now its about giving this defense a chance to improve and gain confidence. The next three games can do that. BP doesn't have to change to much of his scheme to do this. He needs to get his defensive play calling paired downs as much as possible 5-6 basic calls that will work in multiple situations. He needs to blitz more and expect his players to play better. I know they set goals statistically for every game, but they really need to emphasize it. If the goal is 100 or less rushing and 200 passing really get it through guys heads, but don't beat them up if it doesn't happen.

While this is going on the offense needs to be doing their part. NU should be able to put at least 40 on Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. That will take pressure off of the defense to perform at too high a level. The only team IMO that may out talent Nebraska left on the schedule is Michigan.

Well there it is

An internet coach with all the answers

Someone who hasnt even been to a practice or ever coached in College thinks he knows more about how to coach this team or what they should do than these experienced coaches

Dont you know they want to win more than you do? That their jobs may depend on this?

How dare you think you know more about this team or how to coach it and what they should do than the coaching staff :sarcasm

Carry on- it's a message board for venting and discussion. More power to you, its what message boards are for. Anyone can post anything regardless of their qualifications or knowledge level.

Just showing the hypocricy of challenging anyones posting opinions about this team on a message board chuckleshuffle

NOT posted at you in any way, not the intention, a very general statement

Sorry you don't like my post, I would never claim to know more about coaching than anybody that coaches college football at any level. I do know a little, I did coach 21 years of HS football the last 15 at the class A level. When things were going bad, and there were a few years they did, we tried to make things as simple as possible and let them just play.

Next time I will remember to put IMO in front of it. Will that make you feel better.

• Fire 1

Right now its about giving this defense a chance to improve and gain confidence. The next three games can do that. BP doesn't have to change to much of his scheme to do this. He needs to get his defensive play calling paired downs as much as possible 5-6 basic calls that will work in multiple situations. He needs to blitz more and expect his players to play better. I know they set goals statistically for every game, but they really need to emphasize it. If the goal is 100 or less rushing and 200 passing really get it through guys heads, but don't beat them up if it doesn't happen.

While this is going on the offense needs to be doing their part. NU should be able to put at least 40 on Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. That will take pressure off of the defense to perform at too high a level. The only team IMO that may out talent Nebraska left on the schedule is Michigan.

Well there it is

Someone who hasnt even been to a practice or ever coached in College thinks he knows more about how to coach this team or what they should do than these experienced coaches

Dont you know they want to win more than you do? That their jobs may depend on this?

How dare you think you know more about this team or how to coach it and what they should do than the coaching staff :sarcasm

Carry on- it's a message board for venting and discussion. More power to you, its what message boards are for. Anyone can post anything regardless of their qualifications or knowledge level.

Just showing the hypocricy of challenging anyones posting opinions about this team on a message board chuckleshuffle

Sorry you don't like my post, I would never claim to know more about coaching than anybody that coaches college football at any level. I do know a little, I did coach 21 years of HS football the last 15 at the class A level. When things were going bad, and there were a few years they did, we tried to make things as simple as possible and let them just play.

Next time I will remember to put IMO in front of it. Will that make you feel better.

Never said I didnt like your post in any way. Sorry they didnt teach you how to read there, this was part of my post:

"Just showing the hypocricy of challenging anyones posting opinions about this team on a message board NOT posted at you in any way, not the intention, a very general statement"

Also-- that little sarcasm insert- means the poster is being sarcastic How many times do I need to put the sarcasm insert into the post to identify it as sarcasm? Ok next time it will be this_ Im being sarcastic in the following statement from here to here- the following 38 words.

My POINT was about having a dissenting opinion from the what the coaches do- Not anything to do with your specific post- dont get your panties in a bunch over nothing

This is very difficult to have when your front 7 are dominated by freshmen and sophomores. It is extremely difficult if not impossible for a true freshman to come in and be a leader when he is going through growing pains himself.

Playing freshmen are fine when they are surrounded by upper classmen and other experienced players so they can be coached on the field. But, when a true freshman is confused about something and he turns to his buddy for help and he is another freshman.....that tends to lead to break downs and missed assignments.

Can also be said for an inexperienced DC being asked by the HC, "what do you think"? Youth, on the field and in the staff, has to hurt us to varying degrees

I also think the O has leaders. I looked at TA's first start, after the initial huddle, AA goes to TA, they speak and then slap hands. Little things. Enunwa saying he won't be outworked, TA saying to the D after SDSU took the lead, "don't worry. We'll get it back", TA again encouraging the OL. This is leadership. It can't be taught. It either is or isn't.

The D lacks leadership. Plain and simple. At this level, leading by example counts, but not as much as getting in guys grill IMO. IIRC, Rex even said last year he knew he needed to be more verbal. REX saying he had to do more to lead. I would love to see guys chest bump, high five, throw the bones. Even get a 15 yrd for excessive celebration or taunting after a hit or INT than this lack luster, "woe is me" body language I see on the field and sidelines at times.

I will also end by saying that every week we have had different starters or guys pulled for others. Guys might find it difficult to lead hen the are a)unsure if they are the starter or b) got benched the week before. Bo knows this is the issue. I am sure the whole staff does, but this is something the kids will have to want for themselves. Test will be do they want it enough?

I agree that the young talent on this team seems very promising. It's the attitude that troubles me. How does a defense that fielded Suh, Hagg, Gomes, Amukamara, Dennard, Crick and the rest seemingly forget how to play badass defense? There's no fire, no passion. It's baffling to me that these guys played among giants yet (seem to) have no drive today.

My favorite movie Remember the Titans has one of my favorite quotes: "Attitude reflects Leadership" Guys, if there is no fire, no passion, no badass attitude - attitude reflects leadership. It begins and stops wt BO. Why do we come out flat or tight in big games? - can't blame it on the kids - this has happen with too many of Bo's teams across the years. If it was just one year,one D then it is the personality of that team - but this goes beyond the kids. If Bo can't get a group of kids to get excited about playing at Memorial Stadium in front of 90k+ people, then Bo is just x & Os and no motivation. The good teams, heck, the average teams are figuring out his Xs & Os. Maybe we thought Bo was all attitude - perhaps it was mostly anger. Anger doesn't motivate if it is vindictive (ie post OSU rant), or is directed unfairly at others (at TM @ A&M game) or is self justification. (most press conferences) One does not have to be an angry man to motivate a team to play with attitude.

One does not have to be an angry man to motivate a team to play with attitude.

If you've ever watched Nick Saban on the sidelines, he is just as angry if not more than Pelini. There are obviously several differences between Saban and Pelini so let's not get too carried away. But, in terms of "anger", they're very similar beasts.

Nick Saban gets away with it because he's a winner - plain and simple.

I'm really not so sure one can't recruit respect, leadership, etc. I have no doubt at all that the run in the 90's would have never happened had Frazier not come to NU. We would have still been good given the talent on the team, but we wouldn't have been that good. We have one starting OL that pretty much sums up where we are now. He can be good when he wants to be. However, he doesn't always want to be. I haven't broke down any film yet this year, but I'd be willing to bet on nearly every play I could find at least one of our guys out there slacking. Bad things happen when just one of the eleven isn't locked into the play. Sure, the coaches need to hold the players accountable but the other guys out there also need to hold one another accountable.

Well there it is

Never said I didnt like your post in any way. Sorry they didnt teach you how to read there, this was part of my post:

"Just showing the hypocricy of challenging anyones posting opinions about this team on a message board NOT posted at you in any way, not the intention, a very general statement"

Also-- that little sarcasm insert- means the poster is being sarcastic How many times do I need to put the sarcasm insert into the post to identify it as sarcasm? Ok next time it will be this_ Im being sarcastic in the following statement from here to here- the following 38 words.

My POINT was about having a dissenting opinion from the what the coaches do- Not anything to do with your specific post- dont get your panties in a bunch over nothing

I saw the sarcasm alert, I guess knapp and I thought it was a little over top and a little bit from left field.

Knapp; first of all let me say your initial post was excellent and I enjoyed reading it.

I have an observation and would like clarity from your perspective. (Seriously)

Would you say "Respect" = "Being Confident", which = "Swagger", which comes from "Proven Ability", which is tied to "Talent, Knowledge and Athleticism"?

Because your first post was so well written, I would like to read your view point on the above (broken down into each segment) and how this is playing out in our present players makeup?

We all recognize that we have not recruited a top 5 class for a very long time and your point that talent does not alone make a team, a team like we had in the 90's.

So using what I stated above, what comes first? The chicken or the egg? If you were in charge (HC), what would your game plan be to correct the issues plaguing our team?

GBR!

Would you say "Respect" = "Being Confident", which = "Swagger", which comes from "Proven Ability", which is tied to "Talent, Knowledge and Athleticism"?

So using what I stated above, what comes first? The chicken or the egg? If you were in charge (HC), what would your game plan be to correct the issues plaguing our team?

There's a lot of interplay there, but I don't personally draw the line from Respect to Talent, Knowledge and Athleticism. I would look at those attributes as a spider's web of interconnected things and not a line of progression starting with one and ending with another. If that's what you mean, then I can see that. I think everyone talking in this thread and reading along knows this is an oversimplification (mine and yours) but it's not outrageously so.

As for how to fix what ails this team, I'd absolutely make clear to these guys that they are not playing at a respectable level, that they do not have the right to demand respect for the product they're putting on the field, and I would harp on them about accountability and teamwork. I'd make it clear from Spring Ball through the summer into Fall camp that they haven't done anything yet, accomplished anything yet, that they're not special little snowflakes unique in the college football world, that nobody outside the walls of that stadium care one whit that they're "Nebraska," because if they came here expecting to wear that uniform and become magically bestowed with the cache of the best players and teams, they're sadly mistaken.

I would hold up teams like 2009 Iowa State, 2009 Ball State, 2013 Wyoming and 2010 South Dakota State as examples of the kind of four-quarter fight these guys have to give every single game.

I would do my best to drum out any kind of swagger -a word I particularly loathe- from these guys until they can consistently demonstrate that they have earned the right to boast. A particular cornerback who has failed spectacularly on several occasions this year, yet who demonstratively celebrates every little success he earns would be held up for example, and not in a good way.

But the bottom line is, nothing I would do as Head Coach could be effective if the players don't want to learn. That's Bo's conundrum - if he's saying all the right things, but the players cannot or will not listen, he's screwed.

There's a lot of interplay there, but I don't personally draw the line from Respect to Talent, Knowledge and Athleticism. I would look at those attributes as a spider's web of interconnected things and not a line of progression starting with one and ending with another. If that's what you mean, then I can see that. I think everyone talking in this thread and reading along knows this is an oversimplification (mine and yours) but it's not outrageously so.

As for how to fix what ails this team, I'd absolutely make clear to these guys that they are not playing at a respectable level, that they do not have the right to demand respect for the product they're putting on the field, and I would harp on them about accountability and teamwork. I'd make it clear from Spring Ball through the summer into Fall camp that they haven't done anything yet, accomplished anything yet, that they're not special little snowflakes unique in the college football world, that nobody outside the walls of that stadium care one whit that they're "Nebraska," because if they came here expecting to wear that uniform and become magically bestowed with the cache of the best players and teams, they're sadly mistaken.

I would hold up teams like 2009 Iowa State, 2009 Ball State, 2013 Wyoming and 2010 South Dakota State as examples of the kind of four-quarter fight these guys have to give every single game.

I would do my best to drum out any kind of swagger -a word I particularly loathe- from these guys until they can consistently demonstrate that they have earned the right to boast. A particular cornerback who has failed spectacularly on several occasions this year, yet who demonstratively celebrates every little success he earns would be held up for example, and not in a good way.

But the bottom line is, nothing I would do as Head Coach could be effective if the players don't want to learn. That's Bo's conundrum - if he's saying all the right things, but the players cannot or will not listen, he's screwed.

Your last line : If this is happening - then it begs the question WHY

Just using the very same words used by others to criticize me for suggesting that TA should be playing more QB than TM at this point in time.

Using absurdity to illustrate the absurd AND going out of my way to let you know it wasnt pointed at you- sheesh.

Fine by me, I was out of the loop. You are entitled to your view on qb situation.