OWH: Armstrong's quick success shocks no one who's coached him

jmfb

A nice article about TA including quotes from coaches, former coaches, players

Seems like he is quite the leader, someone everyone respects, someone they went to whenever they needed a big play

Also why NU got him in spite of all the great offers and interest he got from other quality schools ranked higher than NU:http://www.omaha.com...o-s-coached-him

I like that he was a former starting LB in 5A Texas as a Soph- big boy football. Physical player

• Fire 1

I cannot wait to see this guy moving forward. Super excited for his potential, and although it was a small sample size, I've loved what I've seen from him.

Very much agree. Armstrong is exciting to watch. For me, Martinez used to be exciting to watch in much the same way, but I haven't felt that way this season perhaps because of his injuries or an increased hesitation. Martinez has really improved his passing this year though, I am not nearly as nervous when he throws it as I used to be. I think Armstrong brings a lovely downfield pass that is just plain old FUN to see.

I cannot wait to see this guy moving forward. Uber excited for his potential, and although it was a small sample size, I've loved what I've seen from him.

fify

No umlaut? :D

I think Johnny Stanton will have something to say about next years starter. I see a little Andrew Luck in him. Not a bad problem to have going forward with these two QBs.

Definitely a good problem to have. Depending on how Armstrong does in the next game or two we might have that problem right now.

When he is on the field I feel confident that we can drive down the field. When TMart has been in this year we have seen too many 3 and outs or short drives. I know Tmart has been hurt and I know we played SDSU. Obviously Taylor's number one asset are his legs. His throwing is still not as good as TA. TMart has improved a lot in the past couple years but I feel more confident in TA making throws than Taylor.

I've been wondering, if Taylor started would we have scored on our first couple drives or let SDSU pull away? We will never know. Tommy looked impressive out there on his runs he at least got 4-5 yards, unlike Taylor who seems like he either breaks a huge run or runs for a loss. He made some throws that I thought Taylor might not have been able to make as accurately. A big thing I noticed was consistency with the offense, even when RKIII was in there the offense seemed very consistent. I felt that our offense could have scored on any play because if they tried to stop the run TA could have thrown a deep ball and Vice-Versa. Bo said Taylor wont practice until 100%. So that could mean when Taylor comes back he's not in shape could lose a step. Just somethings to think about. I think we could have a great year, obviously it all starts with how well the defense comes together.

When he is on the field I feel confident that we can drive down the field. When TMart has been in this year we have seen too many 3 and outs or short drives. I know Tmart has been hurt and I know we played SDSU. Obviously Taylor's number one asset are his legs. His throwing is still not as good as TA. TMart has improved a lot in the past couple years but I feel more confident in TA making throws than Taylor.

I've been wondering, if Taylor started would we have scored on our first couple drives or let SDSU pull away? We will never know. Tommy looked impressive out there on his runs he at least got 4-5 yards, unlike Taylor who seems like he either breaks a huge run or runs for a loss. He made some throws that I thought Taylor might not have been able to make as accurately. A big thing I noticed was consistency with the offense, even when RKIII was in there the offense seemed very consistent. I felt that our offense could have scored on any play because if they tried to stop the run TA could have thrown a deep ball and Vice-Versa. Bo said Taylor wont practice until 100%. So that could mean when Taylor comes back he's not in shape could lose a step. Just somethings to think about. I think we could have a great year, obviously it all starts with how well the defense comes together.

Healthy Taylor or obviously gimpy 2013 Taylor? Healthy Taylor, no.

Also, it seemed like about midway through the second quarter the defense started shaking off their doldrums & started putting the clamps down. I think they would have allowed us time to win that game regardless.

Also, it seemed like about midway through the second quarter the defense started shaking off their doldrums & started putting the clamps down. I think they would have allowed us time to win that game regardless.

I agree that our defense really started to come together and make some stops but the mentality we have seen in the past is once we get hit in the mouth we usually lay down. I find my self saying "oh great, this is going to be the point where we fall apart" It seems once one thing goes wrong then the game goes downhill from there.

I am not doubting Taylor and his abilities just saying when TA was in there it seemed totally different than when TMart is in.

• Fire 1

Taylor hasn't been the same QB since the Caputo stomp. Everything from his throwing motion to his scrambling to his speed went seriously downhill after that game. I just don't think he has it anymore. David Duval can still golf, but he hasn't been the same guy that shot 59 in over a decade. Taylor hasn't been the same QB that ran all over K-State in almost 3 years now.

I agree that our defense really started to come together and make some stops but the mentality we have seen in the past is once we get hit in the mouth we usually lay down. I find my self saying "oh great, this is going to be the point where we fall apart" It seems once one thing goes wrong then the game goes downhill from there.

I am not doubting Taylor and his abilities just saying when TA was in there it seemed totally different than when TMart is in.

I remember talking to former players from the 70s, 80s and 90s who said when they played certain teams- that after the first or second quarter they would be "looking for a soft place to land"

As a former boxer, I get that term, looking for an easy way out without much effort or pain, giving up.

I go to most of the games and havent had the heart to rewatch a number of the beatdowns on film, slowed it down etc

Is NU at that level- kids looking for a "soft place to land" when we get blown out?

Love how Armstrong gives us such a good look for the future. Don't care so much about the amount of air he puts under the ball, but how comfortable he looks leading the team.

SDS was a weird game after a weird week. I'll take all the hope from it I can, but it's crazy to expect it as a template.

Nebraska a good defense away from being relevant. None of these quarterbacks can do a thing about that.

I thought Taylor was at at least 95% speed last year, and showed it on several plays. He rushed for over 1,000 yards and a 5.2 average, over 1,300 yards if you subtract the sacks he took on non-running plays. Even if you take him out of the run option game, he can still beat a lot of defenders to the stick when a pass play breaks down on 3rd and 9, and that is always a valuable weapon, whether or not you consider yourself a running quarterback.

I don't know if the coaches have been holding him back, or Taylor has been doing it himself, but it almost seems like they're determined to prove Taylor is passing threat, and he's been encouraged to stick with the pass play even as the pocket is collapsing and there's a gaping seam right up the middle.

He has definitely changed the way he allows himself to be tackled from his Freshman year, and it's just not a good look.

• Fire 2