OWH: Armstrong's quick success shocks no one who's coached him

jmfb

If Armstrong is proving to be equal to the task, I say he goes from here on out at QB, and we take our lumps starting a Redshirt Freshman. Again. It likely means four losses again, but who cares? The experience is more valuable than wins right now.

I think the team should always take a win right now mentality. There are a hundred guys on the team; it's never about one. Most importantly though, I don't think the 'experience' is that valuable. Tommy's a redshirt freshman, so all he has is time, and that's time perhaps best spent developing behind the scenes, rather than being sent out with a "We're packing it in for this year" flag. "Let's take our lumps" seemed to have pretty limited value in 2010 when they started Taylor.

The only way I'd want to see Tommy start after Taylor is back is if he is legitimately the better player -- unseats Taylor in practice competition, and/or Taylor loses his job during games. Probably the latter would have to happen for the team to be fully satisfied that a change of direction was needed.

If Armstrong (or anybody else) is going to ascend to the position, better for them and the team for it to happen in the proper way, I think. Taylor has accomplished so much, and it's his job to lose - so he would have to lose it.

• Fire 1

I absolutely love Tommy Armstrong and am very excited to see what he can do for the nest 3-3.5 years. He looked fantastic against SDSU.

However, it was SDSU. We don't know what he is going to be like in a huge game when real D1 athletes are flying all around him.

Right now, if Taylor is healthy, I would start Taylor and work Tommy in when you can. If Taylor isn't healthy, play Tommy in some of these next few games and gauge what he is playing like in tough situations.

I personally do not think Taylor has ever healed. High ankle sprain is hard thing to shake, add turf toe to it and I think some type of upper body injury, he just never has shaken it, and has grown weary of the pain. Does what he can, but does not pus the limit. I will try to find an answer to this. I have recently learned that the owner of my company lives next door to the Martinez's and his daughter is close friends with them. I maybe able to get a closer look at the situation due to that, not sure though.

I totally disagree with TA over Kellog. Both are equals according to Bo. If one plays better in practice you put him in period. If it is Kellog you play him, until he shows he can not do the job. Loyalty, dedication and leadership by example are things that are important to develop chemistry within a team. This team is lacking something. If most have felt Bo favors Taylor over the others that show more talent, it starts doubt. Kellog has paid his dues so to speak, young kids see it. I think you play the person that gives you the best chance to win, freshman or senior. You do not worry about next year in this situation. We need to win out this year for the program to move forward. We need to develop a team spirit, all for one, one for all, play to the whistle and through it. This team is lacking something, not sure what it is, but most on here feel Taylor should not be the QB, possibly some of the younger ones feel the same way

I have supported Taylor since day one, all the time we knew he was hurt and still hobbled out there giving all he has, and I think he still does. I just feel he has too many nagging injuries at this time to give us 100%. You do not heal turf toe in tow weeks, it sometimes takes years. High ankle sprain the same. I had a high ankle sprain in Marine Corps Bootcamp in 1965, I still get the pain if I hit it just right. The kid amazes me what he plays through, most would not be able to walk with those two injuries.

Love the idea knappic. Unfortunately I think Pelini is far far too stubborn and bought in on Martinez being his QB to back away from that position now. I don't think he's capable of admitting that Martinez just isn't a good or natural quarterback. He'll just keep pounding the round peg into the square hole harder and harder.

Pelini_zps263de6c3.jpg

It's easier to put a round peg in a square hole than it is a square peg in a round hole. In fact, if dimensions are the same, the round peg actually fits in the square hole just fine. Square peg in the round hole? Not so much.

Just sayin.

Depends on the size of the square/circle...

I absolutely love Tommy Armstrong and am very excited to see what he can do for the nest 3-3.5 years. He looked fantastic against SDSU.

However, it was SDSU. We don't know what he is going to be like in a huge game when real D1 athletes are flying all around him.

Right now, if Taylor is healthy, I would start Taylor and work Tommy in when you can. If Taylor isn't healthy, play Tommy in some of these next few games and gauge what he is playing like in tough situations.

That's what stinks...if it has been UCLA we might have a new starter. He couldn't have done much better than he did against SDSU (could have had a couple more TDs and another 100 yards w/out the drops) - but the fact that it was against SDSU devalues the performance to the point that Taylor will get the next start and we'll likely never see what Tommy could do with a start against legit competition. And frankly, with the schedule...we might be saying "but it was against so-and-so" well into the season if he does continue to start.

I'd just like to give the kid a chance and see what he could do. I don't think it will happen, but we might have the best QB sitting on the bench and don't even know it.

If Armstrong is proving to be equal to the task, I say he goes from here on out at QB, and we take our lumps starting a Redshirt Freshman. Again. It likely means four losses again, but who cares? The experience is more valuable than wins right now.

Maybe it's just your wording that has me confused but how can Armstrong be equal to the task yet we take our lumps? If he were equal to the task, there shouldn't be any lumps to take from starting a redshirt Freshman.

Love the idea knappic. Unfortunately I think Pelini is far far too stubborn and bought in on Martinez being his QB to back away from that position now. I don't think he's capable of admitting that Martinez just isn't a good or natural quarterback. He'll just keep pounding the round peg into the square hole harder and harder.

Pelini_zps263de6c3.jpg

It's easier to put a round peg in a square hole than it is a square peg in a round hole. In fact, if dimensions are the same, the round peg actually fits in the square hole just fine. Square peg in the round hole? Not so much.

Just sayin.

Depends on the size of the square/circle...

That's why I said "if the dimensions are the same". if a circle and square each measure 13 inches across, the round peg would fin in the square hole. Now, if the round hole is 13 inches, the square peg couldnt be any bigger than 9.19 in across in order to fit. So yeah, if you wanna get technical about it fine. But this was intended to be a generalization that fitting round pegs into square holes is generall easier than the other way around.

I thought Taylor was at at least 95% speed last year, and showed it on several plays. He rushed for over 1,000 yards and a 5.2 average, over 1,300 yards if you subtract the sacks he took on non-running plays. Even if you take him out of the run option game, he can still beat a lot of defenders to the stick when a pass play breaks down on 3rd and 9, and that is always a valuable weapon, whether or not you consider yourself a running quarterback.

I don't know if the coaches have been holding him back, or Taylor has been doing it himself, but it almost seems like they're determined to prove Taylor is passing threat, and he's been encouraged to stick with the pass play even as the pocket is collapsing and there's a gaping seam right up the middle.

He has definitely changed the way he allows himself to be tackled from his Freshman year, and it's just not a good look.

To the bolded part, I agree completely.

It's like when you used to play "season" mode on NCAA Football and would run the option all the time. You'd win 100-0, but gosh darnit', you needed better stats. You start throwing at ridiculous times jsut to prove you can even though you moved a 4.21 RB to QB because he would get a ton of rushing yards.

....or was I the only one to do this kind of stupid stuff...?

I thought Taylor was at at least 95% speed last year, and showed it on several plays. He rushed for over 1,000 yards and a 5.2 average, over 1,300 yards if you subtract the sacks he took on non-running plays. Even if you take him out of the run option game, he can still beat a lot of defenders to the stick when a pass play breaks down on 3rd and 9, and that is always a valuable weapon, whether or not you consider yourself a running quarterback.

I don't know if the coaches have been holding him back, or Taylor has been doing it himself, but it almost seems like they're determined to prove Taylor is passing threat, and he's been encouraged to stick with the pass play even as the pocket is collapsing and there's a gaping seam right up the middle.

He has definitely changed the way he allows himself to be tackled from his Freshman year, and it's just not a good look.

are you sure it's not Taylor checking out of the plays called because he's determined to prove (to the NFL) he's a passing threat?

My guess on that, it would happen once or twice, but if he was not doing it right, he would catch hell from Beck and Bo. No one knows that answer.

Love the kid, but there is no way he will ever be a NFL QB, just does not have the talent to do it. Has too much trouble in the pocket with college pressure, NFL not a chance. I doubt he even gets any type of offer for QB, and with his running presence this year, doubtful he would get a shot at any other position including kickoff or punt return.

What some folks are keen to ignore is that Taylor Martinez is indeed a legitimate passing threat. You might hate his throwing motion. You might just hate passing. But Taylor Martinez is Nebraska's career passing leader, he's a much better passer than a lot of the Husker QBs you are fondly remembering, and his consistent 60%+ completion rate has actually help Nebraska revive its power running game. He was off to a good start this year with 9 TDs, 1 Int. and 65% completion rate. If you want to slough off Southern Miss, you don't get to be as wildly impressed by what Armstrong did against South Dakota State. Taylor might be one of the better passing quarterbacks in the Big 10 and he's finally locked in with the best receivers he's ever had. So let's just stop the Taylor can't pass meme. He can. He does. It helps the team. The fumbles are another story.

But it pretty much ends there. There's no Taylor Martinez scenario in the NFL. Arena League at best.

So give Taylor his props, let him run wild if healthy, put in Armstrong if the offense is clearly struggling.

But the quarterback position has not been the problem in Nebraska's fall from relevance.