OWH: Armstrong's quick success shocks no one who's coached him

jmfb

I really do not understand these arguments. You play who ever is best for the team. Taylor has been forced to play when we all knew he was less than 100%. How can you not appreciate that. I am glad we have a couple of kids that can step in and play, excited to see TA play, but would prefer RK3 to start. And if either show on the field they are the better option for Nebraska to progress, they should keep the job. Taylor has been given more than his fair share of chances, and at this moment the job is still his. But I want to see him healed, and I do not believe he has been since his freshman year. More than just one injury, and I do not believe he should have been the starter for those four years. Being coaching choices or lack of talent to replace him, cost him and Nebraska a lot better play.

So I support Taylor to the end, but if due to injuries, or a better play from another QB, it is the end so be it.

Play the best, the one that gives you the best chance to win. Seldom is it a kid that is hurt.

I just see it as another position. Sure, there is more responsibility at QB ,but if you have players of near equal talent and one... ,for whatever reason,... doesn't appear to be getting it done, then you try the other guy. If Armstrong falls apart against good teams then we already know who we have in Martinez and put him back in....just like you would with an I-back, safety or any other player. I don't know why this has to be so dramatic? Why don't we all pitch a big fit when they switch left tackles? "THAT'S IT!!! I'M THROUGH WITH THE HUSKERS UNTIL THEY PLAY THE TACKLE I WANT!!" As far as RKIII...I think he's a gamer and you might be surprised at how well he'd do as a starter;...bring your people because you might get embarrassed.

No one I know is saying he is the Savior

Some are saying at this point in time with a QB who has lots of flaws and with the weapon that makes him the most dangerous cant be counted on, he is the best option

Fundamentaly he is sound, looks the part and his play so far does nothing to diminish being optimistic

THe SDSU comparison again is for the guys that say SDSU doesnt count for anything- we ALWAYS blow out teams like SDSU, SDSU has an awful defense. Well that simply isnt true based on recent history and taking into consideration SDSUs game against a very good NDSU team. Not saying both SDSU teams were the same, heck most people feel this one is much better. But the MACRO that we ALWAYS blow out teams like that and the performance doesnt count for anything.

And to say SDSU wasnt up for NU? Really not the case at all. Lots of fans, and since they only lost by 14 last time, they came to win the game. Lots of Nebraska kids on that roster that played their hearts out.

As to the previous SDSU game- reality is the our defense played really well, much better than this time around. But our offense- not well, TM was off on his option reads less than 1/2 were correct, big part of the problem with that game.

Again, you can run things like the speed option or a 20 yard out on air and see if someone has "it" or not. Fundamentals are fundamentals no matter who you play.

You must have misunderstood me. These comparisons based on SDSU are meaningless and will only be settled by seeing TA against good competition...that's all. For all I know he's a terrible qb, but from what I've seen so far that's highly unlikely and it's much more likely that he's similar to Scott Frost. TM puts up good stats against weak teams but he consistently looks overwhelmed against quality teams and doesn't even possess the ability that got him the starting job in the first place, which was his 4.3 speed....which hasn't even done him much good against the top teams anyway. I think it's a shame that fans have been put in the position of feeling they have to voice their opinion of what seems to be obvious. Maybe TA will lay an egg against the big boys....only one way to find out.

Well put Hayseed and I can agree more, it's beyond obvious why many are ready for the next thing after TM and feel the sooner we get on with that the better. TA obviously has the tools to be everything we want in a QB. RK III is slower than molasses, so when the pressure comes he may be in trouble. Also he can't run our full playbook of QB runs, at least not based on his speed and the play calling we saw. I also felt TA threw a better ball than RK III, but it appears he is the best 3rd string QB we've had in a long time (or at least since Ganz).

You're nuts if you really think he is slower than molasses. Ron is a much better athlete than a lot of people give him credit for.

There isn't a single play in the play book that Ronnie can't run. The outcome may be a little different than if Taylor were in, such as only a 4-5 yard run instead of a 20 yarder, but he can run the entire offense. If anything we can run more of the offense because of his passing ability.

There isn't a single play in the play book that Ronnie can't run. The outcome may be a little different than if Taylor were in, such as only a 4-5 yard run instead of a 20 yarder, but he can run the entire offense. If anything we can run more of the offense because of his passing ability.

But Tommy will still start the next two weeks and I would guess play the majority of the snaps unless we have to get into a passing game only mode.

No one I know is saying he is the Savior

Some are saying at this point in time with a QB who has lots of flaws and with the weapon that makes him the most dangerous cant be counted on, he is the best option

Fundamentaly he is sound, looks the part and his play so far does nothing to diminish being optimistic

THe SDSU comparison again is for the guys that say SDSU doesnt count for anything- we ALWAYS blow out teams like SDSU, SDSU has an awful defense. Well that simply isnt true based on recent history and taking into consideration SDSUs game against a very good NDSU team. Not saying both SDSU teams were the same, heck most people feel this one is much better. But the MACRO that we ALWAYS blow out teams like that and the performance doesnt count for anything.

And to say SDSU wasnt up for NU? Really not the case at all. Lots of fans, and since they only lost by 14 last time, they came to win the game. Lots of Nebraska kids on that roster that played their hearts out.

As to the previous SDSU game- reality is the our defense played really well, much better than this time around. But our offense- not well, TM was off on his option reads less than 1/2 were correct, big part of the problem with that game.

Again, you can run things like the speed option or a 20 yard out on air and see if someone has "it" or not. Fundamentals are fundamentals no matter who you play.

You must have misunderstood me. These comparisons based on SDSU are meaningless and will only be settled by seeing TA against good competition...that's all. For all I know he's a terrible qb, but from what I've seen so far that's highly unlikely and it's much more likely that he's similar to Scott Frost. TM puts up good stats against weak teams but he consistently looks overwhelmed against quality teams and doesn't even possess the ability that got him the starting job in the first place, which was his 4.3 speed....which hasn't even done him much good against the top teams anyway. I think it's a shame that fans have been put in the position of feeling they have to voice their opinion of what seems to be obvious. Maybe TA will lay an egg against the big boys....only one way to find out.

Well put Hayseed and I can agree more, it's beyond obvious why many are ready for the next thing after TM and feel the sooner we get on with that the better. TA obviously has the tools to be everything we want in a QB. RK III is slower than molasses, so when the pressure comes he may be in trouble. Also he can't run our full playbook of QB runs, at least not based on his speed and the play calling we saw. I also felt TA threw a better ball than RK III, but it appears he is the best 3rd string QB we've had in a long time (or at least since Ganz).

You're nuts if you really think he is slower than molasses. Ron is a much better athlete than a lot of people give him credit for.

Tommie Frazier, is that you?

If Tommy starts the next two games and lights it up......what then?

Then you legitimately have to start thinking about next year, and what Taylor will do with his future as well.

If Armstrong plays well the next couple of weeks, we'll have to seriously consider installing him as the forever quarterback. The offense was a mish-mash of good and bad under Taylor this year. If Armstrong makes it run smoothly, with the same personnel... that's a pretty significant smoking gun.

• Fire 3

Then you legitimately have to start thinking about next year, and what Taylor will do with his future as well.

If Armstrong plays well the next couple of weeks, we'll have to seriously consider installing him as the forever quarterback. The offense was a mish-mash of good and bad under Taylor this year. If Armstrong makes it run smoothly, with the same personnel... that's a pretty significant smoking gun.

We are in agreement. When I say it I'm a Martinez hater. When you say it, you get plus 3. Kudos to you sir, you've got em whipped.

• Fire 1

I feel very confident that TA will come into the game Saturday and play very well.

If he does then it's "only Illinois" LOL

And if he doesn't, it'll be "well, Martinez wouldn't have been any better." Works both ways.

Not from me

Let the best player play

IF 2 guys are dead even- then the guy who has the most future in front of him plays- the future of the team plays

Lets let this play out and legtimately see

Lets hope this Freshman doesnt make a lot of the consistent mistakes our 5th year 4 year starter has made the last 3 years

Will the guys that were always using the mantra for Martinez- of hey hes only a frosh, soph, junior and showing improvement, the Oline sucks- be giving the same grace to the Frosh TA? chuckleshuffle

DOUBTFUL-

• Fire 1

But Tommy will still start the next two weeks and I would guess play the majority of the snaps unless we have to get into a passing game only mode.

I agree. I think Tommy is the better qb, but Ron would be starting at a very large amount of other FBS schools. He's no slouch.

We are in agreement. When I say it I'm a Martinez hater. When you say it, you get plus 3. Kudos to you sir, you've got em whipped.

They're just being kind to an old, old man.

I think the difference is people saying it's all over now vs. if he plays well for a couple more games.

If Taylor was ready to go now, he'd be the starter. He's earned it. It hasn't been given - earned. However, if his injury lingers and TA plays well for the next two games, you begin to wonder. If he still isn't able to go by the Minnesota game and Armstrong is still playing at a high level, you then have to wonder about changing things up right as you get into the really big games down the stretch.

But there are an untold number of ifs in that scenario. The biggest of which are how the team does, how soon Martinez gets healthy and how TA plays. After a couple more games, we'll know a lot more about a lot of those things.

I think the difference is people saying it's all over now vs. if he plays well for a couple more games.

If Taylor was ready to go now, he'd be the starter. He's earned it. It hasn't been given - earned. However, if his injury lingers and TA plays well for the next two games, you begin to wonder. If he still isn't able to go by the Minnesota game and Armstrong is still playing at a high level, you then have to wonder about changing things up right as you get into the really big games down the stretch.

But there are an untold number of ifs in that scenario. The biggest of which are how the team does, how soon Martinez gets healthy and how TA plays. After a couple more games, we'll know a lot more about a lot of those things.

Well when Frazier was out Brooke came in and played awesome, and still played when Tommie came back. he got us on the board in the Orange bowl. I could see TA getting into games when TM struggles and we need a spark.