OWH: Armstrong's quick success shocks no one who's coached him

jmfb

We sa him play, yea he looked good for sure, but it was against one of the worst Division II defenses. If he plays against a Division I team and does as well, we may have some confidence in him to do the job if Taylor can not finish the season. Right now, he beat a descent FCS team. We will see how good they are soon.

Unfortunately I think we are going to have to depend on him. I think Taylor is out for awhile. And if he does try to play, will only reinjure himself because he is out there too soon. The problem with a warrior mind set I guess.

Be careful what you wish for, it may not be as good as you think. Very doubtful it will be. Nothing against Tommy at all, just would rather see him progress in safer game conditions.

We sa him play, yea he looked good for sure, but it was against one of the worst Division II defenses. If he plays against a Division I team and does as well, we may have some confidence in him to do the job if Taylor can not finish the season. Right now, he beat a descent FCS team. We will see how good they are soon.

Unfortunately I think we are going to have to depend on him. I think Taylor is out for awhile. And if he does try to play, will only reinjure himself because he is out there too soon. The problem with a warrior mind set I guess.

Be careful what you wish for, it may not be as good as you think. Very doubtful it will be. Nothing against Tommy at all, just would rather see him progress in safer game conditions.

Unfortunately huh. I consider us very fortunate to have this kid. Many of us knew he was going to be a good one and I was glad he finally got time to show his talents. If he has to play due to an injury to Taylor then so be it. It's not unfortunate for Tommy. Frankly, I think it will prove to be fortunate for our offense to have TA out there.

I think what people are still struggling to grasp in the TM vs. TA argument is the fact that TA looks like a QUARTERBACK. Nebraska simply hasn't had a lot of guys I. It's entire history that were true dual threat QBs. Taylor is a single threat QB in my opinion. I also believe Taylor struggles largely with reading a defense, recognizing coverages and knowing per- snap where the holes in the defense are. Armstrong looks very comfortable out there. His footwork, his mechanics, his drops and timing are excellent. He looks like a QUARTERBACK. There were plays last week, where yes although it was a weak opponent, Tommy made some great reads. He knew where he needed to go with the ball. This included taking some one on one opportunities with his talented WR's and letting them make plays. He put the ball in position for our players to make plays.

We have needed this for a long time. Count me as one who hopes the kid continues to see opportunities this year. Mi think by the end of it all you will appreciate what he brings to this team. I see no need to be careful what I wish for. Taylor graduates this year folks. The more prepared Tommy can be right off the bat headed into next year, the better for Nebraska. Not better for Taylor. Better for Nebraska.

Unfortunately huh. I consider us very fortunate to have this kid. Many of us knew he was going to be a good one and I was glad he finally got time to show his talents. If he has to play due to an injury to Taylor then so be it. It's not unfortunate for Tommy. Frankly, I think it will prove to be fortunate for our offense to have TA out there.

I think what people are still struggling to grasp in the TM vs. TA argument is the fact that TA looks like a QUARTERBACK. Nebraska simply hasn't had a lot of guys I. It's entire history that were true dual threat QBs. Taylor is a single threat QB in my opinion. I also believe Taylor struggles largely with reading a defense, recognizing coverages and knowing per- snap where the holes in the defense are. Armstrong looks very comfortable out there. His footwork, his mechanics, his drops and timing are excellent. He looks like a QUARTERBACK. There were plays last week, where yes although it was a weak opponent, Tommy made some great reads. He knew where he needed to go with the ball. This included taking some one on one opportunities with his talented WR's and letting them make plays. He put the ball in position for our players to make plays.

We have needed this for a long time. Count me as one who hopes the kid continues to see opportunities this year. Mi think by the end of it all you will appreciate what he brings to this team. I see no need to be careful what I wish for. Taylor graduates this year folks. The more prepared Tommy can be right off the bat headed into next year, the better for Nebraska. Not better for Taylor. Better for Nebraska.

+1

I think a lot of coaches remain unsure how to play the dual threat QB angle.

Last year the San Francisco 49ers went to the Super Bowl because Colin Kaepernick ran wild. Even when defenses adjusted for him, he was beating them with both his arm and legs. Jim Harbaugh and his OC ran a few read options every game, and Kaepernick always had the green light to scramble.

This year: few, if any, read options. Given the choice between a sure six yard gain running or throwing to a well-guarded receiver Kaepernick goes with the incomplete pass. When he does hit the open field, he goes into a hook slide much earlier than he did last year, when he often didn't hook slide at all.

Keeping in mind that our backup QB is Colt McCoy.

But last year they had a proven Alex Smith behind him. This year, nothing. The fear of injury to Kaepernick is a much larger presence. And as we've seen, it's hampered their attack somewhat.

Now this is why I am excited to see if Taylor gets back 100% how much more he'll be running. All fear of him being injured after seeing Armstrong's ability and leadership live should be out the window. We HAVE to have all cylinders on offense operating at full speed to have a chance now.

SF is having issues this year compared to last mainly for two reasons. 1- his 1 and 2 downfield threats are out and the D is able to play heavy up front containing the run. 2- the rules changed and QBs can now be hit same as a RB in zone read plays so defenders won't get flagged. They are worried about him being a target outside the pocket so they've tried to change his style of play to a more pocket passer which isn't working as well when he can't scramble a still be safe from nasty hits.
  • Fire 1

you might get your wish. Strong rumor out this morning that TM is out next week and possibly the week after that. Same injury as his first year with toe and ankle if you believe what's being said and I have no reason to doubt that report.
Thanks for the info da skers. It's always highly appreciated. If ya get anything juicy on the defense, be sure to let us know! Ha. But yeah, thanks for the info man.
Only thing I know was expect to see some new players or different players getting more time.
Hoping for some CJax and even Davie....the defense needs something....

That sucks, I want T-Mart to be the guy heading into B1G play. At least it's Illinois and Purdue - could be worse. What are we looking at then, a Minnesota return? That's one game to get back in the groove before Northwestern, Michigan, Mich St, and Penn St.
I'd just love to still see him play in some capacity....he's done a lot for this program the past 3 years...I hated to see Burkhead out, but at least he still saw play.

Take a look at what is happening to SDSU today. Like I said Tommy is good, but doubtful he is ready for a Big Ten competitor. Watching him play against inferior talent and doing well does not equate to doing well against far better talent and depth.

I want him to play, I just do not want him forced into playing with nothing to bail him out.

Freshmen under dire straights normally make freshman mistakes. When he has face a real team, then we can talk about him being as good as some seem to think he is. Not saying he isn't but he really has not proven anything yet.

Taking a look at SDSU HELPS TAs case

SDSU lost 20-0 to a team that is ranked #1 in 1AA

SDSU didnt move the ball at ALL- theyhad their defense on the field all game

SDSU held NDSU to fewer points than Kansas State did

Taylor Martinez played TERRIBLY against SDSU a team that is by their own admission worse than this SDSU team

Not all you make it our to be, by any stretch