He resigned didn't he. Quite frankly I don't see anything wrong at all with what Tressel did, I went through all the gangsta crap of the 90s here and a couple tattoo's seem rather innocent compared to that. For those worried Treesel brings sanctions in reality he brings this .....he was given a five-year show-cause penalty (until December 19, 2016). If he gets another head coaching job before then, he will have to sit out the first five games of the first regular season of his return, as well as any postseason games (including conference championship games and bowl games

Being forced to resign is the PC way of saying you're fired. But you can think of it anyway you want.

And to the bolded part, you may think he didn't do anything wrong, but he broke the rules and lied about it. And because of it, it cost OSU a possible MNC last year.

What was the dastardly deed Tressel did?

That Jim Tressel sure is a classy guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/728291-ohio-state-scandal-part-3-of-5-jim-tressel-should-be-banned-for-5-years

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/03/latest_scandal_proves_tressel.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1919258

Give all three a good read. Once a cheater, always a cheater. I'm sure you thought all he did was 'lie about a couple tattoos.' Tressel got what he deserved.

• Fire 1

Oregon surpassed the Huskers a long, long time ago

With their zero national championships in football?

Oregon, past 5 years- 56-9 a mnc berth, 3-2 in bowls with 2 of them bcs games, one big loss to a USC team that went on to finish 3rd in the country in 08, next biggest loss? less than twenty to Stanford in an away game.

Nebraska- 47-20, 0 bcs game appearances, 2-3 in bowls, multiple blowout losses and or losses that shouldn't happen including OU B12 ship, Texas B12 ship, Wiscy twice, Iowa State, Northwestern, Virginia Tech, TTU.

Oregon has had a nice run recently, not "long, long time ago". Zero is still zero. Maybe Frost can help get them one this season.

Bo got a chance here he did not deserve, was not qualified for.

Whoa

The above about Bo is simply not the case.

He was at least just as qualified as Tom Osborne.

I like Bo

But TO was qualified in that he retained almost the entire coaching staff

He also had a PHD in Psych

He also deeply understood the Nebraska culture

He also was coaching on the skirttails of 2 National Championships and consistent success

So while TO may not have been qualified to be HC at Notre Dame when he got the job in 1973, he was qualified to head coach at NU based on those specific set of circumstances

Minnesota Golden Gophers have 7 National Championships, I'd say Oregon has surpassed them as well

None of which are legitamite. Mostly won around in years like 1904. In 1960, they lost 2 games including their bowl game and still count it as a championship

Ours were won recently. Oregon's won other big bowl games recently along with national championship appearances.

Couldn't quote your post from my phone. Use bullet points to highlight the specifics that prove your point about our "clown staff" and our "inability to recruit" etc. I want you to give me specifics. Then I'll be more than happy to pick your post apart top to bottom.

Our entire staff is a joke including Dobson, Cotton, Pap, the golf buddies, ex Iowa buddies you name it. Even Crouch noticed our "boys" were tired in the first quarter of an FCS game, you pay attention right? This points directly at recruiting (6th year coach) and strength and conditioning. Who else other than a clown staff can own 11 of the top 20 worst defensive showings in Husker History?

You do realize that golf coach coached up at least three future NFL picks?

You do realize Beck could have been at aTm this past off-season?

JP? Jury is still out. Not giving up on him.

Cotton - it's his fault when we aren't good, not his fault when we are. Which one is it? We were the 8th best rushing team in the nation last season.

I think I addressed all of the staff members you mentioned.

You didn't really give any examples on recruiting?

Being "out of shape" has really nothing to do with recruiting and more to do with strength and conditioning. Which we looked pretty strong and in shape in the 2-4th quarter.

Again, you see future pros, I see a chit ton full of dropped balls and always at the most instrumental part of the game. Now........ I am talking when we play someone that matters here, Not FCS school or the mighty Wyoming . I saw a great catch by Enunwa in the end zone and I think I saw Bell make a nice grab elsewhere but I see them dropping balls in the numbers all the time. Our schedules are so weak it's really hard to judge just how average we are.

I watch Becks performance, wether it's forced on him or not like it was Watson, but if you like our offense, more power to you but for the most part I see really questionable play calling and awful quarterback play. I did like what I saw with TA, jury is still out but if I see a return of Martinez ever, I rest my case.

The Jury is still out on Pap? Maybe the OJ Simpson jury but.......

Sorry I don't see Cotton as ever being good, another token hire from the Solich experiment. His penalty ridden lines were such a glaring problem with the Huskers they moved him to whatever it is he supposed to be doing but I think it's coaching tight ends? Just look for penalties and out of position players and you can bet Barney in involved. Just like his family tree, the free ride has gone on long enough and the sooner he's gone, the sooner we fill a spot with a real coach.

You didn't address our Defensive line coach ( ex Iowa buddies), another example of below average results bordering on putrid. Frankly top to bottom including Ron Brown really do nothing to improve my outlook on the Huskers

If you're happy with recruiting and SC training, more power to you, I watch teams like Bama ( and even Ole Miss defense), Oregon and other top 10 teams and the talent / speed and coaching is so glaring. This staff is great if you like bouncing in and out of the top 25 and getting blown out in year 6.

I didn't give any examples on recruiting because the product on the field does all the talking, getting throttled in the CCG really gets all the kids excited to come play for this staff

Golf buddies? No doubt. Worst...WR corps...EVER. That said, the number of historically abysmal defensive performances is glaring.
Yeah they really lit up UCLA, well, anyone for that matter but they probably have a really mean 9 iron
Are you even a fan? You don't like the coaches, you don't like the players, so why not find another team to cheer for?
Well probably because I started attending Cornhusker games in 1970 and rarely missed a game until 97. I have to find another team to cheer for because the last 3 staffs have been terrible? I have to lay back and make up stuff like we have difficult schedules and ride the excuse train for decades. We have enough people ignoring we are irrelevant these days (decade+) with National Championship schedules and now conference
None of which are legitamite. Mostly won around in years like 1904. In 1960, they lost 2 games including their bowl game and still count it as a championship Ours were won recently. Oregon's won other big bowl games recently along with national championship appearances.
I wouldn't consider a decade and a half as recent, If you think recruits today see us as relevant in their memory then........well....
He resigned didn't he. Quite frankly I don't see anything wrong at all with what Tressel did, I went through all the gangsta crap of the 90s here and a couple tattoo's seem rather innocent compared to that. For those worried Treesel brings sanctions in reality he brings this .....he was given a five-year show-cause penalty (until December 19, 2016). If he gets another head coaching job before then, he will have to sit out the first five games of the first regular season of his return, as well as any postseason games (including conference championship games and bowl games
Being forced to resign is the PC way of saying you're fired. But you can think of it anyway you want. And to the bolded part, you may think he didn't do anything wrong, but he broke the rules and lied about it. And because of it, it cost OSU a possible MNC last year.
What was the dastardly deed Tressel did?
That Jim Tressel sure is a classy guy. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/728291-ohio-state-scandal-part-3-of-5-jim-tressel-should-be-banned-for-5-years http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/03/latest_scandal_proves_tressel.html http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1919258 Give all three a good read. Once a cheater, always a cheater. I'm sure you thought all he did was 'lie about a couple tattoos.' Tressel got what he deserved.
Ok I read all three so do I want the Sumlin at A&M to resign? Nope, well unless he wants to come here as head coach. Paterno protected a child raper for decades and the NCAA is lifting sanctions on them, this I find revolting but nothing Tressel did really bother me in the least. Talented kids make millions for their Universities, I feel they should be compensated so you're preaching to the wrong choir. Protecting players who allegedly rape or beat women and DCs raping little boys is a whole different thing IMHO. I tell you what read all 3 pages here and get back to me on what a terrible person Tressel is http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007153/1/index.htm

If I'm understanding you correctly you're calling me a liar and a troll. that's fine, I don't have my head shoved up my ass and think Pelini is a real coach with his clown posse staff and blowout losses every year he's coached here including 2003. He will be gone just because he can't resist being terrible at recruiting/ determining talent/hiring a real staff/ stopping the run/ acting a fool on the sideline/ game planning/ preparing our players for un ranked teams all at the same time he tell's you the fan to go "F" yourself. He's a top class buffoon

We get it - you don't like Pelini.

He's our head coach, though, and this thread is about who we'd want in a hypothetical world. If you have nothing to contribute in that realm, then please take the Pelini hate elsewhere. I have no problem with your opinion but it serves no purpose than to derail this thread. Thank you.

I gave my opinion pages ago, I said Tressel and several saw this a rational, which at this point if we want to be relevant again,it's our only real option, that is if he would come here, he may take the USC gig, who knows. You feel my opinion means nothing so I guess we're even

"I have no problem with your opinion." Not sure I can be more plain than that.

Never once said your opinion means nothing. However, you joined this board less than two weeks ago and have a handful of posts, a majority of which are negative/critical of just about everything Husker. You joined this board to complain. That's your prerogative. That said, this thread is to debate who we'd have as head coach, not why you dislike Bo Pelini. Support your Tressel opinion or critique others' suggestions. If you can't do that then you have no reason to continue posting in this thread.

• Fire 3

Bo got a chance here he did not deserve, was not qualified for.

Whoa

The above about Bo is simply not the case.

He was at least just as qualified as Tom Osborne.

I like Bo

But TO was qualified in that he retained almost the entire coaching staff

He also had a PHD in Psych

He also deeply understood the Nebraska culture

He also was coaching on the skirttails of 2 National Championships and consistent success

So while TO may not have been qualified to be HC at Notre Dame when he got the job in 1973, he was qualified to head coach at NU based on those specific set of circumstances

It should be noted that being a head coach when Osborne started did not entail a huge component of public relations/dealing with media/internet/blogging etc. Of course there was some... but not like now. When Osborne started a HC could be largely a coach and had to deal with the PR some... but way, way less than is the case now. Now a HC must run the program and be a public relations man with solid ESPN soundbites and demeanor and conduct that cannot be impugned --- because before, coaches could be complete reprobates and the media never had the microscope on them (comparatively speaking) and they would not get exposed. Now that is no longer true.

The point is... a HC now must be a polished communicator, have good PR and people skills... and must also be able to coach. It is much, much more difficult to be a HC now than it was when Osborne started... a much broader and inclusive set of skills are expected. Bo may have had the coaching experience when he started (not HC but at least some coaching experience) --- at least by some peoples standards... but his people skills, his maturity, his ability to interview, advocate for and represent the University --- these things he was woefully under-prepared for.

The premise that Bo was not qualified when hired seems to me to be accurate. He had no HC experience at all. He had poor people skills. I feel for him. It is not easy to be in the spotlight like he has been when you do not have the experience (or the developed skills) to succeed. He should have never been hired. We have seen "on the job training" and many, many foolish rookie mistakes made by Bo on the NU watch. Next time, hire someone who had their "on the job training" elsewhere, made all those mistakes elsewhere and learned from them... and is ready to deal with the new position... polished and prepared.

Whatever you think of Barney Cotton, this offensive line has improved considerably. We have one of the best rushing games in the country the past two seasons, and multiple backs who are all averaging 5+ yards per carry. If you can't tip your hat to the offensive line for that, I don't understand the point of being a football fan.

Remember when our receivers were dropping lots of balls Taylor Martinez was putting right in their numbers? I do. It was three seasons ago. If you don't appreciate the difference in having Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa and an insanely deep staff of receivers, I don't understand the point of being a football fan.

You can pump up the credentials of the five loss Wisconsin team that humiliated us in the CCG, but Wisconsin handled Nebraska the way Nebraska handled Western Kentucky, and I don't think we want to be anyone's Western Kentucky.

For the record, graduation rates for Husker players have dropped considerably under Pelini, from leading the nation to middle of the Big 10 pack. Saw another poster suggesting otherwise, so just sayin'.

Pelini was totally qualified for the HC position when we hired him. That kind of hindsight won't play. Plenty of experienced head coaches aren't great head coaches, and some are simply poor matches for the culture. It may turn out that Pelini isn't a good head coach, but there will be a hugely gifted and hungry assistant or coordinator who will better at the job than some of the journeyman head coaches chumming for a big payday.

For the record, I don't think Pelini is a good head coach. The problem with the Huskers is teamwide and motivational. That's on the head coach. If Pelini can turn that around in this, his sixth season, I will give him all the credit in the world.

But speaking of hindsight, would anyone have predicted six years ago that LSU DC Bo Pelini would be presiding over the 100th ranked defense in the country, and knocking another Cosgrove performance off the wall-of-shame on a weekly basis?

That's all I've got for today. My client doesn't realize he's paying me to post on HuskerBoard.

• Fire 2

Wait, I got one more.

The amount and quality of PR expected from a head coach at a major university isn't much more now than it ever was. The internet just keeps a record of what everyone used to say around the water cooler.

Some drunks, skirt-chasers, cheaters, and face punchers were exposed in the past and took lots of public heat. Others were quietly put to pasture. Some were allowed to skate because they were otherwise charming. It's pretty much the same mixed bag today. Carl Pelni and Frank Solich come to mind.

And while every football program WANTS its head coach to be an articulate and proactive spokesman for the university, most of them aren't very good at it. The vast majority use every predictible sports cliche in the book in order to get away from the sports media as soon as possible, and the vast majority of fans don't seem to mind.