Predict the season outcome based on what we've seen thus far

Still going with my 1/1/2013 prediction...

For the realists out there that realize we will not have a running game and defensive coordinators will adjust for Martinez' shortcomings. And don't forget for a D that will take suckage to another level...

Also, no Arkansas State and Idaho State buttercups.

Wyoming--W

Southern Miss--W

UCLA--L (sorry guys...UCLA will only get better > NU)

SDSU--W

Illinois--W

@ Purdue--W/L (Purdue at home...it's like Jekyll and Hyde with Purdue)

@ Minnesota--L (sorry...Kill will outcoach Pelini)

Northwestern--L (revenge game)

@ Michigan--L

Michigan State--L (revenge game, pt. 2)

@ Penn State--L

Iowa--W

6-6

Heart of Dallas Bowl ;)

Maybe I'll have to adjust the Purdue and Minnesota predictions... 8-4 hopefully.

I think we'll win at least 8 games. But man...it's sickening how often silly Billy's name gets thrown around these days. I don't want to rebuild. I don't want a new coaching staff. But win or lose, is it too much to ask to see a once dominant program put a product on the field that looks like it knows what the hell it's doing most of the time?

I think we'll win at least 8 games. But man...it's sickening how often silly Billy's name gets thrown around these days. I don't want to rebuild. I don't want a new coaching staff. But win or lose, is it too much to ask to see a once dominant program put a product on the field that looks like it knows what the hell it's doing most of the time?

according to the Bo bots everything is fine. He is doing a good job. He knows husker football. His teams compete every game just not every quarter in the game. let's see what other bullsh#t do they spew.....

11-1 or 10-2, If we lose we it will be on the road at Mich. However I believe that Neb. will be the first team to beat Hoke in the big house. Defense will continue to grow and develop, we've all seen what they are capable of from the first half of the UCLA game. Offense will finally hit their stride in the next couple weeks and we'll roll into Indy and shock the world as we down Ohio State. My apologies for not sharing my opinions earlier but, some of the negativity is ridiculous.

Do WE fire him?

I am pretty sure that decision won't be made by fan vote.

The boosters will have their influence, but AD Eichorst and Dr. Tom will combine to have the last say on this.

T.O. mapped out the standards for keeping a coach when he dealt with the Callahan situation. If Bo can get to eight or nine wins, it's hard to imagine a move.

All this being said, there are eight games left. Let's hope that we can get to seven wins for sure... then grab a couple more wins, maybe surprise and pick up three wins and get to 10 wins again.

I am feeling bad now too, but I am not willing to just concede either. Every other team has flaws. Plus we are young on defense and could improve... And our O can be pretty freaking scary when it wants to be.

"We" fired Callahan. You think the empty Memorial Stadium after halftime of the Oklahoma State game didn't sign his pink slip? Fans have more power than some think. Fans basically fired Kiffin at USC.

There is likely only a single 'lock' win left of the schedule, that being Purdue.

Illinois has an offense with a mobile QB. If a gimpy Martinez plays QB, we lose. Hell we play a non-mobile Martinez, we probably lose any game he plays like that. He is not a pocket passer.

Minn we should win, they are a very one dimensional offense, but we have had massive issues stopping the run.

I don't hold out much hope for the NW game. We have more talent, but they have much better coaching.

Mich could be a coin flip at this point. They have looked horrible the last two weeks, and turnover prone.

MSU doesnt have anything resembling an offense, so they should only manage 300 yards...Close, but I think this is a win.

PSU - I think we get outcoached again.

Iowa - Similar to MSU, close but should be a win.

Going to go with 7-5. And a drama filled coaching search after the season.

• Fire 1

Do WE fire him?

I am pretty sure that decision won't be made by fan vote.

The boosters will have their influence, but AD Eichorst and Dr. Tom will combine to have the last say on this.

T.O. mapped out the standards for keeping a coach when he dealt with the Callahan situation. If Bo can get to eight or nine wins, it's hard to imagine a move.

All this being said, there are eight games left. Let's hope that we can get to seven wins for sure... then grab a couple more wins, maybe surprise and pick up three wins and get to 10 wins again.

I am feeling bad now too, but I am not willing to just concede either. Every other team has flaws. Plus we are young on defense and could improve... And our O can be pretty freaking scary when it wants to be.

Tom won't have any say in it because he is no longer the athletic director. All we have is "hope" when did we ever have to use that word under Tom Osborne other than "I hope we beat OU this year and win the Big 8! Or... I HOPE we win the NC this year!" Now we're just hoping to get 7-8 more wins. We've fallen too far.

Yeah, we fell all the way to 5-7 and not making a bowl game under the last coach and *now* is the time we conveniently forget about that to make a statement on where the program is. *Now* is the time we say we've fallen too far when we get 9-10 wins a year.

There needs to be a healthy understanding of where we've been to truly appreciate where we are now, and what the current coaching staff has done to the program. I think that we tend to treat those Callahan years as an aberration with no effect on our progress to where we are now. You're only kidding yourself when you do that.

Actually the ones kidding themselves are the ones still blaming Callahan for Pelini being inept 6 years later when it's actually Callahan that was the reason Pelini had any success at all with the quality of players left to Bo. Comparing our 5-7 seasons schedule to any of the cake walks Pelini has had is completely laughable, they aren't even in the same stratosphere.

I find it hilarious that it's Callahans 2007 fault and not Solichs 2002, where was all this empathy for Callahan when he had to deal with that dismantling of a dynasty and turned around recruiting fairly fast. Where we are now is because of schedule and watching other teams like Bama, A&M, FSU and even OSU/WV reminds me just how far we have fallen on both sides of the ball, I kept thinking I was watching Pro ball all day yesterday with the speed and athleticism across the board, even Ole Miss who got dismantled had a defense that looked light years ahead of ours

I never said anything about how what Solich left Callahan effected Callahan's time here at Nebraska. But since we're going down that road...

Callahan didn't do anything to turn around what Solich left him. Solich went 10-3 the year before Callahan was hired here. Callahan's first year, we go 5-6. Five and freakin' six! Then 8-4, then 9-3, then 5-7. Callahan only managed to achieve the mark Pelini has hit five just one time. But now is the time we proclaim that we have fallen too far. It's absurd.

It's ridiculous to attribute all the failings of the current coaching staff with the problems left by the previous coaching staff. It's year 6, and we've been turned around as a program. Not to where we want to be but at least a good ways back from where we once were. But proclaiming now, in this moment, without respect to where we once were as a program, that we have fallen too far is short sighted and just flat out wrong.

That's where we differ, I don't just use numbers to justify who did what where and proclaim greatness where it isn't. I use my eyes mixed with numbers and strength of schedule. While everyone else was impressed with Franks "2003 9-3 rejuvenation tour" featuring defensive guru Bo Pelini I saw us beating 3-9 PSU by a few points in Memorial Stadium, I saw us beating very bad 4-8 Texas A&M, the only game I remember deserving of a "nice win" was OSU. The rest were Troy State /Arkansas State / Iowa State. If we played anyone with a hint of top 20 at the end of the season, we got throttled. I will say if the AD hadn't announced Franks firing, we probably would have been in a shoot out vs 5-7 CU. We had 8 home games that season.

2004, Solich recruits and a terrible defensive coordinator mixed with a complete change on both sides of the ball I expected pain considering Joe Dailey and a Barney Cotton offense was left for Callahan to "deal with"

Now you state Pelini was left a mess to deal with and I say Callahans recruits ( Suh )and Shawn Watson were the main factor of Pelinis 2008 success, out scoring other teams and the failures being typical Pelini blowouts. Unfortunately Pelini/Osborne couldn't keep his/their paws out of Shawn Watsons way and forced an offense/Martinez on him that Pelini couldn't stop but no one else seems to have trouble stopping. Just look at the offense Beck runs, does this look like a Beck style offense? Pelini surrounds himself with yes men buddy hires including his buddy Barney and pay ALL his kids way through college, what other top 20/30/40/50 teams were after the Cotton boys?

When I look at Pelini as a coach I see 5-7 Texas along with Iowa State coming into Memorial Stadium and making him look like a fool, last years CCG didn't surprise me in the least, it has become his mantra. I know everyone seems happy with these 9 wins against terrible teams and getting stomped on national TV to the tune of recruits staying far away even if Pelini could recruit someone other than Barneys family tree.

You see Nebraska as once again respected, I see annual embarrassments in year 6 and no respect or relevance with these weak schedules. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Nebraskas fall from grace on Pelini in the least, it falls squarely on Osborne sticking his nose in too many times starting in 97. Hopefully Shawn E won't be bullied into failure

I'm still sticking with my 12-2 prediction from preseason even with what we have seen thus far. For the people saying we will lose to Iowa or Minnesota they apparently haven't watch any of their games because they are both god awful. Minnesota can't pass the ball to save their lives, Iowa relies on weisman way too much and he'll get hurt again. As for the rest of the schedule michigan, northwestern and michigan state is a toss up. The only thing we have going against us is michigan is at michigan. I understand our defense is young and will make some mistakes but I really believe that our offense will cover those mistakes up.

I've been known to underestimate the B1G ever since we joined, but the teams we play in the B1G this year just aren't very good. I don't see us dropping any more than two games the rest of the regular season. However, I also do not see us getting into the B1G Championship either. It's not like we're playing Wisconsin or Ohio State this year. Other than possibly one team (Michigan) left on our schedule, I'm not sure any of our remaining opponents will even be ranked at year end. Coming into the year, several of us saw potential problems with UCLA; Michigan; and Northwestern. I don't think anything has changed. These are the three potential losses for this team.

Still going with my 1/1/2013 prediction...

For the realists out there that realize we will not have a running game and defensive coordinators will adjust for Martinez' shortcomings. And don't forget for a D that will take suckage to another level...

Also, no Arkansas State and Idaho State buttercups.

Wyoming--W

Southern Miss--W

UCLA--L (sorry guys...UCLA will only get better > NU)

SDSU--W

Illinois--W

@ Purdue--W/L (Purdue at home...it's like Jekyll and Hyde with Purdue)

@ Minnesota--L (sorry...Kill will outcoach Pelini)

Northwestern--L (revenge game)

@ Michigan--L

Michigan State--L (revenge game, pt. 2)

@ Penn State--L

Iowa--W

6-6

Heart of Dallas Bowl ;)

Maybe I'll have to adjust the Purdue and Minnesota predictions... 8-4 hopefully.

Sadly . . . that looks more plausible than the kool aid drinkers pencilling us into the conference championship game before the season started.

8-4 is probably a good guess . . . it might be 1 game better than that . . . or the wheels might fall off . . .

Illinois - Lean win

@Purdue - Easy win

@Minnesota - Solid win

NW - Pure Tossup

@ Michigan - Lean loss

Michigan State - Lean win

@ PSU - Pure Tossup

vs Iowa - Pure Tossup

Allocate the wins and losses, we're at 7-2 with 3 tossups. 2-1 in the tossups (which is the way I'm leaning, I think lack of depth hurts PSU late in the season and I think Iowa wears out Weisman again due to overuse) and we're at 9-3 (6-2). Keys for the rest of the year: defend Memorial Stadium, avoid the upset. Do that, and we're probably back in Indy.