Predict the season outcome based on what we've seen thus far

Good post BBB12. +1

While yes, part of it is a mentality thing, another part I think is an Xs & Os thing. At least an inability to consistently adjust in-game. Once the game plan ceases to work, it's almost as if there's no contingency plan many times.

Which does nothing to help player mentality. It's like when they score against us, and we can't answer back on offense, our defense is a little more timid their next time out. They get scored on again, they are even more timid.

A while ago (about 3 weeks or so), knapp and I got into a big argument about how the defense doesn't influence the offense and the offense doesn't influence the defense. I'd like to bring that argument back to the forefront. Taking a look back on those blowouts, when we started surrendering unanswered points, our offense didn't hardly do anything to get the momentum back. We couldn't get a field goal, heck most of the time we could hardly move the ball. That has to frustrate the defense. Anytime our offense did respond, the defense responded accordingly. This is partly why we get such inspired performances (1st half against UCLA or any one of our comebacks). But it is also why we get such devastating performances (Ohio State, 2nd half against UCLA).

The team right now, is not mentally tough when things aren't going their way. So either we have to ensure that things never don't go our way, or we need to get them more mentally tough when the chips are down.

A big problem is that often the offense isn't even on the field long enough for the defense to get some coaching from the booth, look at a couple pictures, and make adjustments.

Beck needs to slow play the offense when were down. Lull em to sleep then slap em with a big play. Not 3 hail marys in a row. That just screws over an d line that likely just surrendered a big drive. Down 7 turns into down 17 or 21 real quick.

I know we want to run hurry up offense and all, but in no way does NU even come close to resemble Oregon. They play fast, but we do have a lot of drives also. Its the 3 and out that they need to avoid.

Beck needs to slow play the offense when were down. Lull em to sleep then slap em with a big play. Not 3 hail marys in a row. That just screws over an d line that likely just surrendered a big drive. Down 7 turns into down 17 or 21 real quick.

I know we want to run hurry up offense and all, but in no way does NU even come close to resemble Oregon. They play fast, but we do have a lot of drives also. Its the 3 and out that they need to avoid.

Exactly. Its hurry up and line up for a play not hurry up and get your froshmen defense back on the field

Exactly. Its hurry up and line up for a play not hurry up and get your froshmen defense back on the field

I wonder if the hurry up offense would work better if we ran it selectively? Get them used to substituting, then hurry up for a couple plays to catch them unprepared.

Beck gets away from the run too often when we get behind. 2nd half UCLA reminded me of 2011 @ Wiscy.

This, this, and this.

I have to agree. Beck says it's aggressive to throw the ball... SMH yeah, you air it out when we're down 14 points as if we're down by 28 then when the blowout really is on against our D he starts running the ball. Signs of an overpaid OC IMO.

There is some truth to the "Beck going away from the run" argument but, he was the passing game coordinator at Kansas when they won the Orange Bowl and put up 76 points on Nebraska. Also I don't think there is a single Husker fan that will ever say: "The passing game was working why did Beck stop passing the ball?".