Armstrong update

Zaimejs

Martinez should be the starter the rest of the season. This kid has taken us to how many CCG's and bowl games? Granted we may not have won them all. And as big of a Cody Green supporter i was We wouldnt have done it with him back there at QB. TA looks good yes but on a couple of the runs he had sat that were 5 or yrd gains TM would have taken it to the house.

Those of you who think TM is the problem and not so much our Defense........ Just imagine what he would do to us if he was the opposing QB.

Nothing, because he can't run right now.. and he certainly didn't run in the first couple games he played either!

And as far as the first bolded statement...and how many has he won? That's what I thought.

From what I heard I thought Martinez got injured in the second half or the Wyoming game.

It would explain the lack of zone reads we have seen this year.

Becuase our defense failed to make stops AND our offense didnt finish drives and committed turnovers. Huge emphasis on the "AND". Again, it's team game. Everyone has to to their part. Sure, more blame can be put on the D is those instances, but they also deserve some of the credit for the comebacks as well. Taylor didnt do that 100% by himself.

<sigh>

I'm providing a counter argument to people blaming Martinez for the team's woes - including on the defensive side of the ball. Providing that counter argument does not include every facet of the situation. I have not now, nor have I ever, said the offense - and Taylor Martinez - don't shoulder blame for what ails this team.

Some people see an opportunity to throw Martinez under the bus and keep running him over.

Not I. The kid has guts and a lot of heart and pure talent. Obviously not the most refined QB in the sport though.

Regardless, if he is injured, he is a liability to this team if he plays. As much of an improved passer as he is, he can't beat a good team with purely his arm(Without the threat of him taking it to the house on any given play..)

Becuase our defense failed to make stops AND our offense didnt finish drives and committed turnovers. Huge emphasis on the "AND". Again, it's team game. Everyone has to to their part. Sure, more blame can be put on the D is those instances, but they also deserve some of the credit for the comebacks as well. Taylor didnt do that 100% by himself.

<sigh>

I'm providing a counter argument to people blaming Martinez for the team's woes - including on the defensive side of the ball. Providing that counter argument does not include every facet of the situation. I have not now, nor have I ever, said the offense - and Taylor Martinez - don't shoulder blame for what ails this team.

You and me are arguing for the same reason. All I ever see is it being the defenses fault and no blame being put on the offense.

Some people see an opportunity to throw Martinez under the bus and keep running him over.

Not I. The kid has guts and a lot of heart and pure talent. Obviously not the most refined QB in the sport though.

Regardless, if he is injured, he is a liability to this team if he plays. As much of an improved passer as he is, he can't beat a good team with purely his arm(Without the threat of him taking it to the house on any given play..).

As much as we've gone back-and-forth in the past 40 or so posts here, I agree with this 100%. Good guy, good athlete, passable QB, winner, but he should not see the field if he's not completely healed. And even then, if he's turning the ball over, we now know we have a viable option.

• Fire 1

Martinez should be the starter the rest of the season. This kid has taken us to how many CCG's and bowl games? Granted we may not have won them all. And as big of a Cody Green supporter i was We wouldnt have done it with him back there at QB. TA looks good yes but on a couple of the runs he had sat that were 5 or yrd gains TM would have taken it to the house.

Those of you who think TM is the problem and not so much our Defense........ Just imagine what he would do to us if he was the opposing QB.

Nothing, because he can't run right now.. and he certainly didn't run in the first couple games he played either!

And as far as the first bolded statement...and how many has he won? That's what I thought.

From what I heard I thought Martinez got injured in the second half or the Wyoming game.

It would explain the lack of zone reads we have seen this year.

I know what they said in public. Taylor didn't communicate the truth to them either. I think he certainly wasn't as hurt in the beginning of the year, but he was hurting, that's for sure. They were trying to eliminate hits on him at the beginning of the year also.

And to touch on your GREATNESS.. How many Qb's a year can actually say they led their team to any kind of post season 3 years in a row? Yea that's what I thought.

It seems like a lot of people are blaming, or indirectly blaming without just coming out and flat saying it, all of our championship and big games losses on Martinez. And they do this while completely ignoring the fact that our defenses have been wildly atrocious in those games and OTHERS have turned the ball over too (Abdullah had 8 fumbles last year, some at very crucial times).

That's what bothers me. Just because TM piloted the ship in those games, and made great plays while making some poor ones, we can't simply gloss over the fact that the TEAM has played very poorly in those games.

It also seems like a lot of people are indirectly stating TA will stop Abdullah from fumbling at key points in a game, WR's dropping passes in big games, the offensive line forgetting how to play football, the defenses not being an open sieve against the run, etc.

• Fire 1

I do think that when your star quarterback is injured and your Defensive Coordinator looks like he's about to be fired mid-game, a team might be forced to figure out who they are and what they're made of. In a weird way, a crisis might be just what this othewise passive team needs. Rallying to help Armstrong isn't necessarily a slap against Martinez.

I do think that when your star quarterback is injured and your Defensive Coordinator looks like he's about to be fired mid-game, a team might be forced to figure out who they are and what they're made of. In a weird way, a crisis might be just what this othewise passive team needs. Rallying to help Armstrong isn't necessarily a slap against Martinez.

True, but with how much heat and criticism thrown at Martinez on a yearly basis and right now, is this to then say the team isn't ready to step up and back him? I know that's not what you're saying but if someone is railing on my QB on a yearly basis even though he fights hard and makes mistakes like I do, I'm ready to back him.

I think his team has rallied around Taylor in public (and reportedly in private) the past three years. Nebraska hasn't traditionally been a good come from behind team (didn't used to come up very often) but players said Taylor gave them confidence that they could pull off these comebacks. Having #3 out there made you believe it was possible, and there were a couple games -- Northwestern comes to mind -- where it really did look like Taylor kicked into another gear and carried the team on his back. If Taylor comes back, the team will have his back.

But when you've got a playmaker like Taylor who makes all these crazy things happen -- good or bad -- and he's the most famous guy on the team, there's a danger of other players waiting for him to make things happen. Maybe secretly happy Martinez is a lightening rod for expectations. I know it happens on other teams and in other sports, where the star player goes down and the team actually plays BETTER because they have to.

• Fire 1

I think his team has rallied around Taylor in public (and reportedly in private) the past three years. Nebraska hasn't traditionally been a good come from behind team (didn't used to come up very often) but players said Taylor gave them confidence that they could pull off these comebacks. Having #3 out there made you believe it was possible, and there were a couple games -- Northwestern comes to mind -- where it really did look like Taylor kicked into another gear and carried the team on his back. If Taylor comes back, the team will have his back.

But when you've got a playmaker like Taylor who makes all these crazy things happen -- good or bad -- and he's the most famous guy on the team, there's a danger of other players waiting for him to make things happen. Maybe secretly happy Martinez is a lightening rod for expectations. I know it happens on other teams and in other sports, where the star player goes down and the team actually plays BETTER because they have to.

Fair response. +1.

No, it's because "the quarterback" is low-hanging fruit, and people are too lazy to learn the game enough to know how to properly gripe about the defense. People gripe about Martinez because it's easy.

The quarterback is also low-hanging fruit for people like you to give way too much credit when something good happens.

Martinez did not win a single game by himself in the last four years. He also didn't lose a single game. Of course games come down to far more than a few plays, and if you really want to make an argument for "if this play doesn't happen then the outcome of the game changes" you can name several more players who have "won" or "lost" games.

Who made the throws to win the Northwestern and Michigan State games last year? Did Rex sneak in when nobody was looking?

Who caught the passes to win those games? Who called those plays? Who blocked to give Martinez time to make those throws?

Now we're worried that not everyone is getting credit. That's pretty funny amidst a conversation focusing on one player as the main problem facing this team - on both sides of the ball. :D

I don't know what the conversation is between you and trouble/everyone else as I have just skimmed most of the posts, but the posts I have made haven't been concerning putting blame on one player. They've been about how your defenses of Martinez are just as stupid as others' criticisms.