Armstrong update

Zaimejs

With all due respect Knapp, when youre down two possessions with minutes left-as we experienced a few occasions last year and won-, that horrible defense has to make a stop or three for Martinez to lead us to that victory. It's a team game. Everyone has to do their part.

And yet, Taylor is the only one called out thread after thread after thread after thread for his mistakes. His mistakes are harped on constantly, while his successes - brilliant comeback wins and highlight-reel runs - are ignored.

It's not the fact that our defense has been historically atrocious, it's a "team problem."

:laughpound

Taylor gets more attention of course, no one would disagree with that

To say he is the only one criticized is not, this TEAM, TEAM DEFENSE, COACHING STAFF and individual defensive players have been called out in 100s and 1000s of posts, depending on the subject

Serious question - do you have a reading deficiency? Because I don't want to go on about this if you have an issue. Disabilities aren't something to mock.

Back at you, has Alzheimers set in? I realize Alzheimers isnt something to mock either

So you don't want to admit you've read that wrong - twice? OK. Fair enough.

While I have no idea how TM's turf toe will be in the coming weeks, I would bet the comparisons of who can lead our team more efficiently will get clearer in the next 4 or so weeks. I think TM is a baller that gives 100% of his effort when he is out there no doubt, but I too am on the fence about who leads the team in a better fashion.

We can argue till the cows come home and it will not make a difference because ultimately now that TA has some game experience, should TM falter in a game (futuristically), fans will want to see if TA can light a fire to accomplish what is needed to get the win.

Personally; although I like TM's gusto, I am not sure at this point that he helps the rest of the team play their best ball. Just appears that things are flowing better since TA has been in there. I know that the teams he has gone against are not up to UCLA's caliber but this fact may change too in future games that I presume TM will come back to start.

Stay tuned!

This whole convo is ridiculous. Knapp, I usually don't disagree with much you say but holy sh#t man. Chill out.

Martinez isn't 100% of the problem but he has been A PART of it. I have always been a staunch Martinez supporter and will continue to be when he is 100% healthy but you cannot deny that he is completely ineffective if he is not able to be a running threat(Which is only when he is legitimately at 100%). Martinez cannot sit in the pocket and beat people with just his arm, he needs his running ability to keep defenses honest.

Nobody is saying that he is the entire problem. The defense has obviously been a dumpster fire this year, but to expect the defense to perform lights out while being on the field 75% of the game is insane. Consistent 3 and outs like we saw in the second half of the UCLA game was absolutely huge in the outcome of that game.

Martinez should be our undisputed #1 guy, but only if he is completely healthy. I do not want to see one snap of him if he can't plant that foot and take off like he is known to be able to do.

As far as all the criticism.

What do you expect? He's the QB. The QB gets the most attention and criticism on ANY team, and their mistakes are magnified more so than anybody else. it's just how it is.

I've never said Taylor wasn't part of the problem. I've been critical of his mistakes.

I guess I'll be the guy in the wrong here. I never imagined it would be controversial to call into question the mountain of criticism leveled at our record-breaking quarterback and comparing it to the (relatively) mole-hill size criticism directed at our record-breaking defense. Especially since the defense's records have been on the bad end of the record book.

I apologize for pointing out this disparity in criticism.

BTW - the Time of Possession exaggeration is noted. To date, Nebraska ranks 44th in the country in TOP, holding the ball for a cool 30 minutes a game. We were at #36 at the end of last season at 31 minutes per game.

Through the first three games of this season we averaged 32 minutes per game, with UCLA being the lowest point at 28 minutes.

We held the ball for 29 minutes against SDSU.

We held the ball for 27 minutes against Illinois.

But again, I apologize for failing to note that the defense has been put in horrible positions by being forced out on the field 75% of the time. My bad.

I also stated the UCLA game specifically. Even more specifically the second half, in which the offense was on the field for just under TEN MINUTES. So, I apologize I overshot just a tad. 66% of the time.

As I stated, I am a Martinez supporter, and I will never say he shouldn't have ever started or be the starter here, but to sit here and absolve the offense of a bunch of 3 and outs is f'ing ridiculous.

Side note....TOP was certainly lower in the SDSU and Ill game as we scored quickly, and had the TOP been the way it was in the second half of the UCLA game because of that reason, I wouldn't complain, but it wasnt. 2 minute drives that end with points on the board are one thing, drives that last 45 seconds and dont put any points on the board are completely different, and totally unacceptable.

The defense is a dumpster fire, BUT YOU CANNOT CONTINUE TO PUT THE DEFENSE IN sh**ty POSITIONS BECAUSE YOU CAN't PRODUCE ON OFFENSE.

We got away with a dumpster fire of an offense in 09/'10 because of some of our players on defense(experienced and talented.), we cannot get away with it this year because of all the youth that will make some mistakes.

One last thing, a ton of criticism is on the offense because it was expected to be Top 10 and to score at will on anybody.

Obviously that has not happened. The defense was expected to have some growing paints, and it was expected that the offense would be able to sustain drives and put points on the board to help the defense through those growing pains.

There is no excuse for the performance we got from the offense in the UCLA game. If Taylor was completely healthy(Which that was painfully obvious) then he should have been benched. End of story.

Side note....TOP was certainly lower in the SDSU and Ill game as we scored quickly, and had the TOP been the way it was in the second half of the UCLA game because of that reason, I wouldn't complain, but it wasnt. 2 minute drives that end with points on the board are one thing, drives that last 45 seconds and dont put any points on the board are completely different, and totally unacceptable.

The defense is a dumpster fire, BUT YOU CANNOT CONTINUE TO PUT THE DEFENSE IN sh**ty POSITIONS BECAUSE YOU CAN't PRODUCE ON OFFENSE.

YEs, turnovers, and common sense time of possession as well as poor field position- KILL a weak and fragile defense

That is what we have

We got away with a dumpster fire of an offense in 09/'10 because of some of our players on defense(experienced and talented.), we cannot get away with it this year because of all the youth that will make some mistakes.

So being #28 in the country last year, scoring 35 points per game (including 30 or more points in our four losses last year) equates to "can't produce on offense." Got it.

And handing the defense a 21-3 lead midway through the second quarter against UCLA - all three TDs which came on brilliant passes by Martinez - that's also "can't produce on offense." Understood.

So being #28 in the country last year, scoring 35 points per game (including 30 or more points in our four losses last year) equates to "can't produce on offense." Got it.

And handing the defense a 21-3 lead midway through the second quarter against UCLA - all three TDs which came on brilliant passes by Martinez - that's also "can't produce on offense." Understood.

And being the #15 scoring offense in the country and #9 rushing offense in the country is obviously a dumpster fire.

I don't know why more people aren't more happy about the Nebraska offense. They've had a big turnaround since 2009. As big a turnaround as the defense, just in the opposite direction.

We always bring it up, but imagine Tommie Frazier leading a team with the 106th ranked defense. Great, great player, so he wins you a couple more games, but those teams don't win championships, Tommie's statistical shortcomings become more apparent, and Tommie Frazier isn't part of the all-time greatest discussion.

I don't know why more people aren't more happy about the Nebraska offense. They've had a big turnaround since 2009. As big a turnaround as the defense, just in the opposite direction.

We always bring it up, but imagine Tommie Frazier leading a team with the 106th ranked defense. Great, great player, so he wins you a couple more games, but those teams don't win championships, Tommie's statistical shortcomings become more apparent, and Tommie Frazier isn't part of the all-time greatest discussion.

Blasphemy.

/but you're absolutely correct.

Don't let the minority cloud over the majority. There are a lot of people who have like how this offense has looked. Beck was a guy we all thought might get hired away he was having so much success.

The problems are on the other side of the ball. Even in some of those standout losses, the offense put enough points up for us to win. I think there are just too many people here that will bitch no matter what we do. Still, those people represent a minority of the fans.

I completely agree with this thought. It's been discussed by myself and even knapplc at other points in the past.

Frazier certainly wasn't the turnover machine TM is, but in comparison to TM, TM is the better thrower and (statistically speaking) Frazier never had a year running the football that compared to TM. The most yards Frazier ever put up was ~800 IIRC.

Outside of fumbles, consider all the other differences between their teams. A 20+ year head coach, a deep stable of running backs, more scholarships, one of the best offensive lines in the country and one of the best defenses in the country. Of those things listed in the last sentence, we have only one - a deep stable of running backs IMHO.

Many have said it before, but it can't be understated - though TM has his faults, he is the least significant reason Nebraska has struggled since he's been QB IMHO.

My god. I'm not talking about the entire year, or even the entire UCLA game(Also, I never said a damn thing about last year).

Handing a defense a 21-3 lead midway through the second is all fine and dandy, but averaging 2 minute drives the rest of the game without scoring is atrocious. What can't you understand about that. THAT is what I am talking about.

Im not talking about a game that the offense was sustaining drives or scoring points. I'm talking about that bullsh#t that we saw in the UCLA game that produced absolutely NOTHING in 2.5 quarters. That loss is most assuredly 50% of the offenses fault. I don't care if you have a top 5 defense, you will give up points if your offense doesn't do absolute sh#t.

You seem to be taking my complaints about a few quarters of sh**ty offensive football completely the wrong direction. I'm not completely defending the mistakes made on defense and I'm most assuredly not defending that dumpster fire last year that would give up 50+ points when our offense was scoring 35+. Im talking about that bullsh#t we saw in the UCLA game(2.5 quarters worth). If our offense could have sustained any sort of drives or scored any points that would have been completely different. This is a TEAM sport, the offense MUST support the defense when they are struggling, along with the defense supporting the offense. Obviously in the UCLA they both f'ing failed in the second half. My point is you can't sit here and say that the offense wasn't part of the problem in that game. It was.

Lastly, I have stated many times before, if Martinez is 100% healthy he IS OUR STARTING QB, and I have ZERO issue with that. He is a big play threat and is our best chance for a title this year. With that being said, I do not want him anywhere near that huddle until he is 100% healthy. Not 85%, not 95% but 100%. Until he is at 100% he is a liability.

I don't think a QB needs to be guilty of solely costing his team games to be replaced, anyway. Someone else just has to prove to be a better option.

So at this point I don't think Martinez is at any real danger of losing the starting job outright, but I do think Armstrong has earn himself some snaps even if Martinez is 100%.

My hope is that Martinez can come back healthy and give our offense that big play running threat at the QB position, but I don't want to see the coaches flat out put Armstrong's development on hold until next year. We might even need him to come in and get the offense back on schedule if it sputters from time to time.

And - yes - maybe take a little pressure off the defense.