Shhh gesture to home crowd

JTrain

Drink.

SC Top 10 #1

Are you telling me you've been drinking, or I should be? 'Cause I'm about to uncork a bottle of wine here pretty quick. :D

After reading everyone else's responses, they seem to understand what this is about, and I'm getting it now. Here's my answer to what I think you're asking:

Kenny caught a brilliant TD, races into the end zone and does the "SHH!" gesture to the crowd. That can either be interpreted as "Don't cheer so much, this is just me being awesome," it could be "Silence the critics," which is the most common usage.

Kenny got the penalty for that or his '303' symbol he puts up to represent the 303 - his area code back in Colorado.

Either way, that was a BS penalty to call on him for that play.

I didn't get it honestly. I've never seen a player shush his own crowd. The way I took it was Bell has not made a lot of plays like that in his career ( few do) and he didn't know how to act. So he went to what came to mind first......

Honestly great game, great catch, that shush was dumb.....

The penalty for the gesture was way worse than the gesture, IMO. Kenny Bell definitely doesn't come across as the type of player who would dis the fans.

But then again...I remember a time when students and long-time season ticket holders would stay for the entire game for much bigger blowouts in much worse weather.

Must be better things to do than spend an entire game at Memorial Stadium. I saw one shot on TV on an Illinois third down, and they showed the fans, and about half were standing there, mouths shut, arms crossed. Why the f*ck do some of these people even bother showing up for games?

Maybe Kenny, if he and the team is frustrated with fans, have a point.

• Fire 1

Yeah, this isn't the first time I've seen a player do this toward their own fans. It's not meant as something "against" the fans.

I'm trying to find a reference to this but now I'm failing. I know I've seen this before. Maybe "a bunch" was too much of an exaggeration, though.

i agree. i highly doubt that it was 'against' the husker faithful. just something players do. silence the critics, calm down and enjoy the awesomeness, relax... this ain't no thing. who knows what it specifically meant or means. just something to do with your hands when celebrating.

Foppa, I typically stand with my arms crossed, as do most folks in my section, because we're squished in there like sardines.

I did see some shots on TV of fans looking glum, but those were after no-calls on holding against our defense, after that stupid penalty on the hit on Scheelhaase (and the next play or two where he turned upfield at the sideline rather than going out of bounds, which is why he was hit on the penalized play), and some people justifiably not happy with the five substitution penalties against the defense late in the game.

EDIT - as far as Kenny Bell making a gesture toward the fans, there is NO WAY he is calling out the fans. Kenny has much love for the fans in that stadium.