Shhh gesture to home crowd

JTrain

people are honestly nit-picking a celebratory gesture this much

Nope, they aren't. It is the 15 yard penalty it cost THE TEAM that people don't like. Kenny needs to decide which comes first, I guess.

bullsh#t. He should be able to do what he did without getting flag for it. I, for one, am only upset at the officials for flagging it and I do not feel it was selfish of KB in any way for doing it. I'm glad he did it and even more glad that the coaches didn't say jack to him about it. It was a stupid call that never should be made. If he makes a catch like that again, I hope he does it again. This sport is getting too pussified and anal.

• Fire 1

bullsh#t. He should be able to do what he did without getting flag for it.

Your opinion only counts when you are wearing the striped shirt and carrying the yellow flag.

Myself, I don't think it should have been penalized either. But seeing as Bell can 100% control whether he gets a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play, it's all on him.

Don't crowd the line and you'll never have to worry about crossing it...right?

The problem is, after Bell shushed the crowd, some of the Blue Hairs thought he was being serious and went back to their crocheting and needlepoint.

It's obvious that Kenny Bell can't communicate effectively with the blue hairs and thus must hate them immensely.

I seriously can't stop laughing. +1 :rollin

You guys can't be serious. This gesture is used on all levels. It's not against the fans. Really? I've seen this multiple times in the pros. He's not insulting the fans. Good grief.

You've seen this multiple times by a home team player? I don't think I've ever seen this.

I've seen it too. It's like saying it's no big deal. Think about it though, shhhing the crowd on the road doesn't make much sense either. When a visiting team scores, the initial reaction is usually silent anyways. I've never heard a crowd boo a guy as he scores. I'm sure it happens but by far the more common reaction is silence when the other team scores. Bottom line, I'm sure Kenny Bell realized he was at home.

I've seen it too. It's like saying it's no big deal. Think about it though, shhhing the crowd on the road doesn't make much sense either. When a visiting team scores, the initial reaction is usually silent anyways. I've never heard a crowd boo a guy as he scores. I'm sure it happens but by far the more common reaction is silence when the other team scores. Bottom line, I'm sure Kenny Bell realized he was at home.

The pont of shhh'ing a home crowd when you score as the visitor is to taunt them. You're essentially saying, "Yep, now you're quiet because I just scored on your joke of a team." So it very much does make sense to do it in that instance.

You guys can't be serious. This gesture is used on all levels. It's not against the fans. Really? I've seen this multiple times in the pros. He's not insulting the fans. Good grief.

You've seen this multiple times by a home team player? I don't think I've ever seen this.

That's pretty much the point. You see from guys how many times on the road, but Kenny does it to his home crown and leave it to Big10 officials to find the need to actually penalize this one.

Imagine if he would've done it while playing in the Big Texas 12 conference. He would've been ejected, suspended for the season, and the game would've been over because NU would've been forced to forfeit the game.

The pont of shhh'ing a home crowd when you score as the visitor is to taunt them. You're essentially saying, "Yep, now you're quiet because I just scored on your joke of a team." So it very much does make sense to do it in that instance.

That's what I always thought. Makes a lot of sense on the road. A lot of times you see it as the crowd is making a whole lot of noise for a defensive stand, and after a TD a player does the "shush" thing to show that he just quieted them. Yeah, I just burned your defense, now be quiet. Yep, just like that, you did what I told you.

Doesn't make sense to me to quiet your own crowd at home, but enough of you say you've seen it done at a home game that I guess I'll buy it. The next time I see it will be the first. The "no big deal" explanation makes a bit of sense. For Bell, as I said twice and others have pointed out, he just didn't really even realize what he was doing.

I haven't seen anyone getting upset that he was dissing the crowd. People were just genuinely confused as to why he'd do that, and looking for an explanation. Nobody jumped to the conclusion that he was being a jerk or anything like that. I can't believe the reaction from other posters that it's stupid to ask the question.

The penalty itself is a different issue. I suppose you could say that a player should just toss the ball back to the ref and go sit on the bench and not risk a flag, but Bell was so under the top that I cannot believe a flag was thrown. Thank Miami for the inception of this rule. They were such A-holes after scoring a TD that I was glad to see something done about it. Usually if a ref starts to see something getting close he'll run over to the players and tell them it's enough. Why Bell didn't even get a warning is beyond me.

The really ironic thing is that KB only made the shhhhhh gesture, to nobody in particular, and got flagged for it. He could've gestured to stroke his big boner, flashed a vag sign, and rode off with two birds a blazin and the penalty would've been the same (unless it happened in an $EC game- then kids will be kids). Why do we attract the reffing squads that seem to be the sheltered bookworms of the college football world?

I'm literally taken aback by this post.

bullsh#t. He should be able to do what he did without getting flag for it.

Your opinion only counts when you are wearing the striped shirt and carrying the yellow flag.

Myself, I don't think it should have been penalized either. But seeing as Bell can 100% control whether he gets a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play, it's all on him.

Don't crowd the line and you'll never have to worry about crossing it...right?

I still call bullsh#t. You can't hold KB responsible for that flag. Nobody in their right mind would expect that minor action to draw an unsportsmanlike penalty. You said it yourself, it shouldn't have been called. So, it's not "all on him", it's on the anal retentive official. He wasn't taunting another player or the team or their fans and it sure as hell wasn't excessive or obscene. I don't blame Kenny one iota.

• Fire 2