Bo's Complicated Defense

jmfb

. The other thing to always consider is that this is not the NFL.....they can't practice all day and you have to have a plan that they can reasonably learn in the amount of time you have, whether they're a Jimmy or not.

Most guys havent got a clue about this, very important

Have you ever met a college professor? lol I'm taking statics right now and my professor knows what he's doing, but he cannot teach it to students. That being said I don't think that's the case with Bo's defense. I don't think that the defense is as complicated as we make it out to be. It comes down to being able to trust the player next to you and gelling as a unit.

I had a Auto CAD Professor that just could not teach the lower end of the class. This was Auto CAD 1 & the people in the class who did not have the basics were lost & he would not circle back to help them out. For the few that had the basics he was great & you learned a lot, but the rest of the class was lost & had no help insight.

Ive often wondered if a handful of teams on top dont exceed their allotted time to practice.

It's possible. Didn't Michigan get busted for this a few years back?

That said, I think it's far more likely top schools are doing well by obtaining talent through shady means, as opposed to practicing more often.

Ive often wondered if a handful of teams on top dont exceed their allotted time to practice.

It's possible. Didn't Michigan get busted for this a few years back?

That said, I think it's far more likely top schools are doing well by obtaining talent through shady means, as opposed to practicing more often.

I think the Michigan players dropped a dime on RichRod. That's when you know a coach is a dick.

On any team you will have a handful of players that are unhappy with their playing time and willing to drop a dime.

The book "Three and OUt" is a very interesting read, not only on why Rich Rod got fired but about Michigan football in general

Had no clue about the "Michigan Man" culture and how a hurt and jealous Lloyd Carr sabotaged RR

Quite possible RR is a pretty good coach and politics were to blame for his demise

Worth the time of reading

I totally agree with your assessment of what makes a good coach.

I have always said that Larry Bird would make a better coach (and did) than Michael Jordan ever could dream of. Why? because it came so natural to MJ that he would have a very hard time teaching it to other, less talented, players. Counter that with Bird and all the stories I have read about what made him so good was all his tireless work in the gym because it wasn't as easy for him.

I think the same thing can be said about how Ganz relates to QBs. He was good. But, he wasn't this 5 star player who came out of HS and rolled right in and succeeded at the next level. He worked his azz off and right up until the first game he started, most Husker fans thought he would never amount to anything. He can now take that experience and relate to every QB in the system.

Now...as far as Bo's system. I have no idea. The big question to me is.....how much more difficult is his system than what is being ran at other top programs. If the answer is "not much" then it isn't the difficulty of the system that is the problem. Now, if other very successful programs (on defense) have a much more simple scheme and let's the athlete play, then it's something that needs to be considered.

I agree with this.....except the Jordan comment. No one was a bigger gym rat than MJ.

Yeah Jordan worked out really hard, and put on good quality muscle mass over the course of his career, but he was right , no one could touch Bird when it came to extra workouts he did on his own. He would show up to the arena 3 or 4 hours early and shoot hundreds and hundreds of baskets. Then he would run stadium stairs. If any other player in league had done that, they would not have made it past the 1st quarter of the game. Just insane

I totally agree with your assessment of what makes a good coach.

I have always said that Larry Bird would make a better coach (and did) than Michael Jordan ever could dream of. Why? because it came so natural to MJ that he would have a very hard time teaching it to other, less talented, players. Counter that with Bird and all the stories I have read about what made him so good was all his tireless work in the gym because it wasn't as easy for him.

I think the same thing can be said about how Ganz relates to QBs. He was good. But, he wasn't this 5 star player who came out of HS and rolled right in and succeeded at the next level. He worked his azz off and right up until the first game he started, most Husker fans thought he would never amount to anything. He can now take that experience and relate to every QB in the system.

Now...as far as Bo's system. I have no idea. The big question to me is.....how much more difficult is his system than what is being ran at other top programs. If the answer is "not much" then it isn't the difficulty of the system that is the problem. Now, if other very successful programs (on defense) have a much more simple scheme and let's the athlete play, then it's something that needs to be considered.

I agree with this.....except the Jordan comment. No one was a bigger gym rat than MJ.

Yeah Jordan worked out really hard, and put on good quality muscle mass over the course of his career, but he was right , no one could touch Bird when it came to extra workouts he did on his own. He would show up to the arena 3 or 4 hours early and shoot hundreds and hundreds of baskets. Then he would run stadium stairs. If any other player in league had done that, they would not have made it past the 1st quarter of the game. Just insane

True. Ray Allen does something very similar.

Valentine looks to be that guy weve lacked. I presume next year he comes in looking jacked with a whole offseason of conditioning. Add a touch of speed to that monster and we could be looking at an anchor.

Maybe if we alter our S&C program... We went from WAY ahead to probably behind everyone else that is of consequence.

Further, people keep harping on Pelini and his scheme. This scheme is not the same as it was in 2009 or 2010. They have made adjustments to fit the players that they have. They obviously aren't running a full playbook playing 12 freshman/sophomores in the 2 deep. Still think they make a pretty significant jump here pretty soon, and then next season will be MUCH better defensively.

It's really unfortunate about our S&C program. Our admin has been proactive about it from the sound of it though.

What's wrong with our strength and conditioning? Other than an OC who calls all or nothing plays that put our D back on the field with 2 minutes rest, it looks to me like our new guys have pretty good motors and do their best with what they're asked to do. I doubt any S&C program is going to build up a 290 lb DT to the point where he can chase a 200lb dual threat qb all day. I'd be more concerned with positioning and getting players with a nose for the ball.