What we do Best/Worst

Redux

Offensive line is playing well this year but we have not had very hard games yet. My comment about the offensive line reflects my feeling that we used to be considered to be Lineman University- the road grader days. The problems started with the offensive line in the late 90's in my opinion. We have had some great individual players since then but I don't think we have fielded a a dominating blacking line from tackle to tackle since then. I don't track stats- just my feeling afer we had floundered against some Top 25 caliber teams over the years.

Strengths: Defensive backs, running backs and kickers.

Weaknesses: Offensive line, linebackers, defensive line and second half adjustments.

Pretty sure being tied for 1st in the nation with 3 sacks allowed is not a weakness. As for the linebackers and defensive line, they may be our biggest weaknesses right now but I don't see that being the case for too much longer. I will take this years linebackers and d-line over last years or the last couple years even, any day, they just need to keep gaining the reps and experience. We should be pretty pleased to have some of these players next year or the following year at the latest. I also think the staff is very slowly learning how to make second half adjustments. I think there is a very big learning curve to being able to make the proper adjustments, when you have little to no prior experience in this area.

Killer instinct on defense gets you ejected unfortunately. Cant just let em play the game.

I'd say this year's defense already shows better killer instinct than last year's D. I don't think Baptiste's ejection changes that. They're just tackling better and ball hawking better all around.

The killer instinct thing is a teamwide thing. Offense. Defense. Special teams. Mistakes. Penalties. Turnovers. Execution. I don't think they come out of the tunnel looking excited enough, but maybe that's just me.

This team still needs to learn its ABCs. Always Be Closing.

• Fire 1

Weaknesses: Offensive line, linebackers, defensive line and second half adjustments.

I'd only agree with one of your strengths which would be RB. But make no mistake, we do lose a ton when Ameer isn't in.

I'd really only agree with 1.5 of your weaknesses as I think to this point we need more from our LBs and we have shown at times we can adjust to second half play, but not every time like we should.

Pretty sure being tied for 1st in the nation with 3 sacks allowed is not a weakness. As for the linebackers and defensive line, they may be our biggest weaknesses right now but I don't see that being the case for too much longer. I will take this years linebackers and d-line over last years or the last couple years even, any day, they just need to keep gaining the reps and experience. We should be pretty pleased to have some of these players next year or the following year at the latest. I also think the staff is very slowly learning how to make second half adjustments. I think there is a very big learning curve to being able to make the proper adjustments, when you have little to no prior experience in this area.

So you are saying that we have bad coaches that you hope get better over time? I think I have heard just about every excuse for this coaching staff possible after that one.

As for the DL/LB's just because they are better than the pile of crap we had there last year doesn't make them good. Just average at best, but it is better than being totally worthless as they were last year. Sometimes false hope is the only hope and that is that they are young.

The OL is doing a lot better than any other time under Bo, what a difference getting Barney's worthless butt away from them does. Now we just need to get him away from the program and stop wasting over 200K a year for nothing.

So you are saying that we have bad coaches that you hope get better over time? I think I have heard just about every excuse for this coaching staff possible after that one.

As for the DL/LB's just because they are better than the pile of crap we had there last year doesn't make them good. Just average at best, but it is better than being totally worthless as they were last year. Sometimes false hope is the only hope and that is that they are young.

The OL is doing a lot better than any other time under Bo, what a difference getting Barney's worthless butt away from them does. Now we just need to get him away from the program and stop wasting over 200K a year for nothing.

So did you have anything positive to say or were you just wanting to rag all over a positive thread?

I'd agree w/ you on the RBs, and with the exception of this year Bo has a stellar track record of developing NFL caliber CBs. We should be able to recruit those two positions with little effort. I'd also throw in Bo's evaluation/recruitment of JUCO players. If you look back at our top players over the last 5 years most of the big names were JUCO transfers. Very few of them didn't end up starters, with most being stars.

I think our biggest weakness in the last few years has been roster management. Oversigning 3-4 guys a year brings in an entire extra recruiting class every 5 years. Undersigning be 3-4 a year has an equally negative impact. We see it when we play top teams.

SJB is an NFL corner.

Bo will never over sign purposely and I stand by him there.

SJB will play in the NFL - but he's not at the level of Prince, Gomes, Dennard, etc IMO. He's playing purely on raw talent still. He's gotten burned quite a few times this year. If he had another year or two he'd be great...and I think plenty of NFL teams will see the potential and pick him up in the 4th-6th. When you go back and watch the Purdue game watch SJB defend the 24 yard pass about 90 seconds into the 2nd quarter. He looked silly. That was 6 if Green didn't come over to make the open field tackle. SJB was 10 yards behind after 20 yards of that receivers route. Turned wrong way entirely. I've seen him do that a number of times this year.

Evan's (who my comment was more directed at) has hardly progressed beyond his freshman year. Throw Green and Mitchel in there as well.

And I agree w/ you on the oversigning...but Bo is 3-4 short every year. That's huge.

You have to realize that Prince had the stereotypical build for a CB in the NFL. I've been of the opinion that Dennard was always the better CB. Or he at least fit the mold better with what Bo wanted to do. However, Prince had the better measurables.

Ciante the last two games has been completely in his element. He's absolutely garbage over the top and in deep coverage, but close to the LOS where he can defend short routes with safety help and help in run support. I've never thought he was a guy you could leave on an island and I think he's a typical Nickelback. Joshua Mitchell???? Ehhhh. He'll be fine against some of the guys in the Big Ten.

The other thing we aren't talking about is that the juniors/seniors this year in the secondary have gone through 3 coaching changes.

I do believe that there are a few walk ons each year that deserve schollys. Where would we have used those other three last year??? On guys like Devon Nash???

Bingo. Ciante has really settled into that nickleback position. He isn't the athletically gifted CB that Prince, SJB and even Dennard were...but he is physical guy who knows his job. He is magnificent on defending the bubble screens...re-watch the Purdue game. He blew up a couple of them where if the QB hadn't noticed and basically threw the ball away at the last second Ciante would have been running for 6. Hagg/Gomes were never a put on a island guys, but they could lockdown the slot and good help in run support. But I will give Ciante this credit....he did go on an island with Abberderis (Sp?) against Wisky at home last year and DOMINATED him (that's a job the All-American from OSU Roby got torched trying to do a couple weeks ago).

Some people sure do love to put words in others mouths on this site.

No I don't think this staff is necessarily bad so much as I think they're inexperienced. Beck is fairly new to being an OC, Poopoochis still doesn't know what he's doing and Bo is still learning how to be a head coach. I think that is one of our biggest weaknesses right now as a team both from a coaching standpoint and defensive standpoint. It's what EZ alluded to a couple posts above, that we have shown at times that we can adjust in the second half but not every time like we should. I think a big reason for that is because of inexperience and lack of proper knowledge how to adjust. They seem to be learning as they go, since none of them had any experience at their respective positions prior to coming to Nebraska. I'm pretty sure you don't just learn how to make those necessary adjustments every time overnight.

Some people sure do love to put words in others mouths on this site.

No I don't think this staff is necessarily bad so much as I think they're inexperienced. Beck is fairly new to being an OC, Poopoochis still doesn't know what he's doing and Bo is still learning how to be a head coach. I think that is one of our biggest weaknesses right now as a team both from a coaching standpoint and defensive standpoint. It's what EZ alluded to a couple posts above, that we have shown at times that we can adjust in the second half but not every time like we should. I think a big reason for that is because of inexperience and lack of proper knowledge how to adjust. They seem to be learning as they go, since none of them had any experience at their respective positions prior to coming to Nebraska. I'm pretty sure you don't just learn how to make those necessary adjustments every time overnight.

In year six, Bo should know this already, so he is either not a smart man (Which I don't believe) or isn't a very good head coach. (Which I believe is the case) Beck was an OC at Kansas and Poopoochis is irrelevant as he just signals in what Bo calls. It all falls on Bo for not hiring people who's strengths cover for his weakness (recruiting, adjustments) and just hiring yes men instead. No coach is perfect, but they need to be humble enough to have people around him that complete a good coaching staff, not have the same issues that he does.