Who would have thought the offensive line would be playing so well?

I've said this for years and I'll say it again. A QB that is capable of standing in the pocket, feeling pressure and stepping out of it, and not feeling the need to panic and scramble will do wonders for both sack and holding numbers. Not bashing anyone people so don't go flying off your Huskerboard high-chairs. Just stating s statistical fact.

I've said this for years and I'll say it again. A QB that is capable of standing in the pocket, feeling pressure and stepping out of it, and not feeling the need to panic and scramble will do wonders for both sack and holding numbers. Not bashing anyone people so don't go flying off your Huskerboard high-chairs. Just stating s statistical fact.

Also a statistical fact that offensive lines that can't pass block dramatically reduce the efficiency of any quarterback.

To follow your lead and not name any names, let's just say that the hypothetical starting qb for Nebraska in 2011 should have benefitted from improved pass protection and raised his completion percentage by at least 5% in 2012.

Also a statistical fact that offensive lines that can't pass block dramatically reduce the efficiency of any quarterback.

To follow your lead and not name any names, let's just say that the hypothetical starting qb for Nebraska in 2011 should have benefitted from improved pass protection and raised his completion percentage by at least 5% in 2012.

I agree with your point. It's really a very situational thing. There are clearly times a QB has no choice but to escape the pocket and run, and also times where he was given plenty of time and space to stand in the pocket.

I simply was stating that in the latter situation, it's beneficial to have someone who understands this "pocket" concept.

The OL has done an outstanding job so far this season. What impresses me most is the reduction in stupid penalties. Really the offense as a whole has done exceptionally well. The only limiting factor to our O seems to be play calling at times. I think we can live with that. Let's hope they keep it rolling with the loss of Spencer and some tougher teams coming up.

I'd only say 'outstanding' by a lack of penalty standpoint. I've seen way too many instances of the o-line getting beat badly, especially on run-blocking. The pass blocking hasn't been too bad. But the blocking by the line has to get better on rushing plays. Losing Long only compounds the problem.

The OL has done an outstanding job so far this season. What impresses me most is the reduction in stupid penalties. Really the offense as a whole has done exceptionally well. The only limiting factor to our O seems to be play calling at times. I think we can live with that. Let's hope they keep it rolling with the loss of Spencer and some tougher teams coming up.

I'd only say 'outstanding' by a lack of penalty standpoint. I've seen way too many instances of the o-line getting beat badly, especially on run-blocking. The pass blocking hasn't been too bad. But the blocking by the line has to get better on rushing plays. Losing Long only compounds the problem.

Exactly. I'm optimistic about the improved discipline--that is, no boneheaded penalties. But we've only faced one decent defense so far, UCLA. And our rush yardage was nothing to write home about against the Bruins. Something like 150 rush yards for the day. We'll know more in about a month or so.

We get beat badly on some run plays because we announce the play with our formation pre-snap like Oregon does. Oregon also leads the nation in plays for negative yardage.

Doesn't have much to do with poor run-blocking.

while the disciplined play of our OL has improved, the schedule this year is easier than last season...and now we have lost Spencer Long for the rest of the season....knee.

It's true. Weak schedules often lead directly to knee injuries.

4419564+_1ffcf902264a4d243e39ba7554e600dd.jpg

ancient-aliens-guy-im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg