Does the SEC circle jerk finally end today?

Branno

How does that differ from any other conference. Nebraska played Wyoming southern miss and South Dakota state. We can go through and post the schedule of every team in the big ten and every team in the sec if you like just to compare

IT DOESN'T DIFFER. That's the whole point!

So why is that argument used only against the SEC and not other conferences. That's the point.

That's the problem, is that the SEC gets a bye for scheduling weak OOC games due to perceived strength when it comes to their conference schedule.

They are the only league in which a team like Alabama can have a horrifically weak OOC and still looks like kings. Because look how good they are against against f'ing Tennessee Chattanooga.

Alabama played Virginia Tech. ????

Ole Miss played Texas

Tennessee played Oregon

LSU played TCU

Georgia plays Clemson and Georgia Tech

Florida plays Miami and Florida State

South Carolina played UCF and North Carolina

just off the top of my head

They do the same thing as every other conference, schedule one big BCS opponent and 2-3 other crappy teams. So they shouldn't get a pass more than any other conference and shouldn't be attacked for their schedule more than any other conference

How are we going to accurately rank Georgia though?

They have 3 good losses (vandy is not quite so good i suppose) and 2 really good wins. Their 2 recent losses came with basically their entire offense being injured. So it's hard to both reward their success with a healthy team and punish the losses incurred, possibly as a result of being the most injury-depleted team in college football. 26th is fine. I'm not sure where they belong to be honest, you can make a lot of different arguments

Well, in my mind they should be ranked behind every team from a major conference with two or less losses. I don't care how good the teams are that they beat or how good the teams are that beat them. The benefit of playing in the SEC is that you can play by rules that nobody else can play by. So if you are going to stay in that conference where it's okay to gray shirt, and over offer scholorships, and pay players (allegedly), then you should have to deal with the fact that your conference schedule is full of programs that cheat as much as you...and a loss under those circumstances should hurt you as much as it hurts a team from a clean (or somewhat clean) conference. The SEC gets benefits the other conferences don't get, so they should have to just suck it up and deal with their losses. You may not agree, but that is my humble opinion.

• Fire 1

How does that differ from any other conference. Nebraska played Wyoming southern miss and South Dakota state. We can go through and post the schedule of every team in the big ten and every team in the sec if you like just to compare

So why is that argument used only against the SEC and not other conferences. That's the point.

That's the problem, is that the SEC gets a bye for scheduling weak OOC games due to perceived strength when it comes to their conference schedule.

They are the only league in which a team like Alabama can have a horrifically weak OOC and still looks like kings. Because look how good they are against against f'ing Tennessee Chattanooga.

Ole Miss played Texas

Tennessee played Oregon

LSU played TCU

They do the same thing as every other conference, schedule one big BCS opponent and 2-3 other crappy teams. So they shouldn't get a pass more than any other conference and shouldn't be attacked for their schedule more than any other conference

VT is not a big BCS opponent.

Texas is just a name at this point.

TCU is not a big BCS opponent.

Georgia Tech is not a big BCS opponent.

UCF is not a big BCS opponent.

UNC is not a big BCS opponent.

Ole Miss played Texas

Tennessee played Oregon

LSU played TCU

My notes are work for the actual numbers but if you would like to know, the FCS teams that the SEC play have an overall better record then the BCS teams they play. It is not the same for the B1G. The SEC might play "bigger" named teams but those same teams are sucking sh#t through a straw right now except for a few.

And that's certainly fair. Like I said, I don't know what the right way to approach that is

You're a proponent of how good the SEC is - tell me, how do you arrive at that conclusion?

Seems to me there's no substantial argument to be made. We all know how inherently flawed polls are, especially in the preseason and first 3-5 weeks of the season at least. Strength of schedule is junk too, because it depends on - you got it - ranking teams subjectively.

There's just no credible way of claiming that conference is any better than anyone else, sans Alabama. SEC teams are ranked high because they're either perceived as being good, or because they beat the teams that were perceived as being good.

Missouri was unranked two weeks ago. Now they're #5??? Why? Because they beat Florida and Georgia - but wait a second, both those teams have lost to unrank...ah hell. You get the idea.

It's a self-fulfilling circle.

Edit: Further, I thought this was (to some extent), expelled last bowl season. Florida got handled by Louisville of all schools. LSU lost to Clemson. South Carolina squeaked out a win against Michigan in the final seconds and we gave Georgia (who was one play from the national championship) every single thing they could handle, despite both of those matchups being unequal due to OSU and PSU being ineligible. Northwestern handled Miss St.

Texas A&M and Alabama were the only two schools to look decidedly better than their competition.

• Fire 1

People tend to put way way WAY too much stock into single game scores and results rather than looking at larger pictures. If football had no variance and we could compare teams using the transitive property, well, ranking teams would be a hell of a lot easier (and less interesting). It would also mean that Colorado State is better than Nebraska this year. Cherry-picking single games is totally meaningless without looking at larger pictures.

I'm hardly trying to argue that the SEC is miles and miles ahead of everyone. They aren't. I've said this. But watching people lose their minds when some SEC teams beat some other SEC teams is hilarious to me. Variance sure is fun.

One of the big differences this year is that the SEC has 1 pretty much consensus #1 team according to polls, computers, markets in Bama. Then it sort of drops off to a bunch of teams that are ~20th - 10th. I'm pretty sure a healthy Georgia could be in title contention, and LSU gets to the SECCG with 1 loss quite a lot if the season was played out 1000 times or whatever. But yeah, Missouri, South Carolina, A&M, Auburn - all very very good but not elite. It's not like the SEC has 4-5 top 10 teams this year. But they have ~7 top 20 teams. So you can't really say they're dominant, but they're still the best conference. There are plenty of scenarios where zero SEC teams make the title game