Does the SEC circle jerk finally end today?

Branno

That's probaby the dumbest thing - the fact that the Pac-12 isn't getting all that much attention. They're having a hell of a year out there.

Oregon

Stanford

UCLA

Arizona State

Washington

Utah

all having good seasons

Washington State, Oregon State both improved (Mannion is crazy good and Oregon State would be undefeated but they somehow lost their opener to Eastern Washington, ouch)

Sure Colorado and Cal are possibly the two worst BCS conference teams, but the rest of the conference have pretty much all taken a step up with the exception of Stanford (not much further up to go) Arizona (meh) and USC (Lane!)

Okay, so here is my problem with the SEC circle jerk:

The conference is tough...no question. However, there are three two-loss SEC teams in the top 20 (ap poll) and if you consider others receiving votes, Georgia and Florida are 26th and 28 respectivley with three losses.

The issue here for me is that both the national championship AND the BCS bowls are chosen based on a formula that includes strength of schedule/quality wins. If the pollsters continue to rank SEC teams high regardless of number of losses, they will continue to have wins over "ranked apponents" and continue to have an advantage in getting their teams in the NC, the AQ game and at large BCS bids. This continues to funnel revenue into an already rich conference.

So here is what I say to those who say: "So what? those teams are good and they beat up on each other". I would say yes, but that is the price you pay for being in a conference where EVERYBODY CHEATS! I would contend that the B1G having once defeated or undefeated teams is comperable to an SEC team with a similar record. We don't compare Bama to the Seahawks or Broncos (okay, I know, some of the idiot, sycophants on espn do, but people with a brain don't). So why would we compare conferences where there is at least some level of accountability to the SEC which is basically a semi-pro league with its own set of rules? Why do I care that one cheating team in the SEC beats up on another. THEY are playing with a level playing field with each other...so back to my point, when they get two and three losses, they should drop from the polls and not become a positive factor in another SEC team's strength of schedule.

How are we going to accurately rank Georgia though?

They have 3 good losses (vandy is not quite so good i suppose) and 2 really good wins. Their 2 recent losses came with basically their entire offense being injured. So it's hard to both reward their success with a healthy team and punish the losses incurred, possibly as a result of being the most injury-depleted team in college football. 26th is fine. I'm not sure where they belong to be honest, you can make a lot of different arguments

The SEC to this date is 34-7 against OOC teams they have played so far. They play another 11 OOC games later this season.

The B1G to this date is 34-11 against OOC teams so far with only Wiscy playing BYU left.

The OOC opponents for the SEC have a combined record of 159-127 so far. These numbers are also including the upcoming games that they have left.

The OOC opponents for the B1G have a combined record of 111-117 so far. These also includes BYU at 5-2 so far.

The SEC will have played 15 games against BCS teams while the B1G will have played 19. The SEC will have played 14 FCS teams compared to 10 for the B1G.

How does that differ from any other conference. Nebraska played Wyoming southern miss and South Dakota state. We can go through and post the schedule of every team in the big ten and every team in the sec if you like just to compare

IT DOESN'T DIFFER. That's the whole point!

So why is that argument used only against the SEC and not other conferences. That's the point.

• Fire 2

How does that differ from any other conference. Nebraska played Wyoming southern miss and South Dakota state. We can go through and post the schedule of every team in the big ten and every team in the sec if you like just to compare

IT DOESN'T DIFFER. That's the whole point!

So why is that argument used only against the SEC and not other conferences. That's the point.

That's the problem, is that the SEC gets a bye for scheduling weak OOC games due to perceived strength when it comes to their conference schedule.

They are the only league in which a team like Alabama can have a horrifically weak OOC and still looks like kings. Because look how good they are against against f'ing Tennessee Chattanooga.