Backlash comments to players...

I am just a loss at words, and I don't want to categorize a whole fan base as being the same, but this just seems to become more and more common. As many, or at least some, know that Kenny Bell and other players have been criticized and attacked on social networking sights. Yes, players having these types of things leave them vulnerable to stuff like this, but its nice for some fans to see these kids, be kids at times, and hear their thoughts on some things.

Many Nebraska fans, including myself, dislike how hard it is to recruit here, but with these fans backlashing at players where many can see it, is that going to help? I wouldn't be surprised at all, if we lost commits, or interest, for these exact reasons. Kenny Bell was not the reason we lost that game, but it just goes to show that there are fans that want to attack someone who is completely genuine, and has never done wrong to this university.

I understand we are not exactly where we expected to be, and we have the right be frustrated and want the best. Simply we are not getting it, and its not because of the players. You can blame Martinez on that game ALL you want, but its 100% due to coaching. He was never pulled, and he even stated he didn't think he would play all game. Its sickening to see these players get attacked, when in reality, the fans should be supporting them. Take your frustration on the coaches, these are just kids your telling this stuff to.

I just feel bad for these guys sometimes, because its not easy hearing things from people you expect to support you. A loss effects a player a lot more than it does a fan.

“Tonight was the first night that I have been truly bothered by the hateful comments by people,” Bell wrote in back-to-back tweets. “That being said.... It takes so much more effort to be mean [and] hateful than it is to be positive [and] supportive. I just don’t understand it.”

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sports/players-can-struggle-when-heckling-turns-into-hate/article_5b6014ee-0a21-5295-9314-81475eaef1cd.html

• Fire 1

Why is it that when any team is winning, player X is called a beast, a stud, a great player, a grown man. But the second the same team starts losing, they are kids. I never understood that. :wacko: Anyway, I think there is already a similar discussion thread already. Come join us.

Well said. I don't think it's a good idea in any way but most concerning to me is what recruits think when they see this. If I were a high school player and was considering coming to Nebraska this would be a HUGE detractor. I seriously just don't understand why fans do this crap. I can't believe were still getting recruits to schedule visits here and have any interest in us right now with the way things are going both on the field and off it. If your blaming anyone, it should be the coaches. Even then I'm not supporting it. I get the frustration with the blowout losses, the losing to teams we shouldn't and what seems to be a complete lack of preparation and desire to win. Thing is, people are not doing any favors for the program, players, coaches or the university when they start spewing this crap. I love the huskers just as much as the next guy in Nebraska and am quite frustrated as well but I don't understand the mentality of trying to bring us down even farther.

If there is another thread that is based on this, then it can be merged. I am sorry I didn't do a thorough search through threads to see what is being discussed. I looked at the first page, didn't see anything titled about players being attacked, and figured I would make one.

I made this thread, because this article was written in New Mexico. Not a local paper. Our fans reactions are obviously something that is being seen in other places, and it won't be long until it is made into something it should never be.

Why is it that when any team is winning, player X is called a beast, a stud, a great player, a grown man. But the second the same team starts losing, they are kids. I never understood that. :wacko:Anyway, I think there is already a similar discussion thread already. Come join us.

Because they are kids. They are 18-22 years old. It's a fact that 18-22 year olds respond differently to criticism than 30-40 year olds. Even so, some people 18-22 years old are better at handling criticism than other 18-22 year olds.

I agree with the article. I think players need to be taught how to handle criticism that goes over the top. Because [even though you would think that players wouldn't let it get to them], I think criticism that goes over the top does effect some players. I think if they knew how to handle it better, their on the field results wouldn't take as big of a hit.

Why is it that when any team is winning, player X is called a beast, a stud, a great player, a grown man. But the second the same team starts losing, they are kids. I never understood that. :wacko:Anyway, I think there is already a similar discussion thread already. Come join us.

Because they are kids. They are 18-22 years old. It's a fact that 18-22 year olds respond differently to criticism than 30-40 year olds. Even so, some people 18-22 years old are better at handling criticism than other 18-22 year olds.

I agree with the article. I think players need to be taught how to handle criticism that goes over the top. Because [even though you would think that players wouldn't let it get to them], I think criticism that goes over the top does effect some players. I think if they knew how to handle it better, their on the field results wouldn't take as big of a hit.

I think whether they "let it get to them" or not, it effects them. Might not be right away, but if its continual, it will eventually. I know we have always been hard on our players, and had social media been around in the 80-90's, this same discussion would be happening then. Its sad that a group like this, could make an image for all of us who support these players.

I admit, I wanted Taylor to be pulled, but I would never go on to say that he was the worst, most pathetic QB ever, or for him to break his leg, like some stuff I have read. Its not Taylor's fault he didn't get pulled, its the coach's fault. I respect Taylor, and I am more than thankful for the things he has done for his teammates and the University, but he just isn't the same athlete he was. Its not a knock on him, but his injuries are taking a toll on him, and its reflecting on the field.