Stewart Mandel: Prepare for a Blowout

Ric Flair

I'm thinking this will be a low scoring slugfest that we likely lose in a close one. But if our QBs start turning the ball over, it could get ugly.

No. 14 Michigan State 34, Nebraska 7

Michigan State's conservative, ball-control offense does not lend itself to blowouts, but this is a mismatch. The Spartans' historically dominant defense (210.2 yards per game) will feast on Nebraska quarterbacks Tommy Armstrong and Ron Kellogg III, while Michigan State will run all day on the Huskers' defense. The only question is whether Mark Dantonio will allow quarterback Connor Cook to throw downfield.

http://sportsillustr...koff/?eref=sihp

I'm thinking this will be a low scoring slugfest that we likely lose in a close one. But if our QBs start turning the ball over, it could get ugly.

Michigan State's conservative, ball-control offense does not lend itself to blowouts, but this is a mismatch. The Spartans' historically dominant defense (210.2 yards per game) will feast on Nebraska quarterbacks Tommy Armstrong and Ron Kellogg III, while Michigan State will run all day on the Huskers' defense. The only question is whether Mark Dantonio will allow quarterback Connor Cook to throw downfield.

I like much of Mandel's writing and perspective,but he rarely changes an opinion once formed. He's been convinced of how awful NU's defense is for much of the season. Probably won't change his tune without a big defensive performance against OSU or another team team with a good offense.

So the last 4 years in a row when my dad has come up to visit me during a husker game, they have lost.

UCLA-2012

Michigan-2011

Texas-2010

Texas Tech-2009

Needless to say I was a little nervous about him coming up this weekend. Turns out my mom has the flu so they are not going to make the trip. So we now have nothing to worry about.

• Fire 9

So the last 4 years in a row when my dad has come up to visit me during a husker game, they have lost.

UCLA-2012

Michigan-2011

Texas-2010

Texas Tech-2009

Needless to say I was a little nervous about him coming up this weekend. Turns out my mom has the flu so they are not going to make the trip. So we now have nothing to worry about.

You are all welcome. And St. Paul's Mom isn't too bad of a kisser.

• Fire 3

UCLA-2012

Michigan-2011

Texas-2010

Texas Tech-2009

there was a period where whenever i drank bud light wheat during a game we would lose. so i had budweiser discontinue it.

I like much of Mandel's writing and perspective,but he rarely changes an opinion once formed. He's been convinced of how awful NU's defense is for much of the season. Probably won't change his tune without a big defensive performance against OSU or another team team with a good offense.

The reason he doesn't change his opinion often is b/c he's an idiot. He forms an opinion early on in the year after watching teams and then doesn't watch any more of their games to see if they have progressed. He only goes by first impressions.

UCLA-2012

Michigan-2011

Texas-2010

Texas Tech-2009

You are all welcome. And St. Paul's Mom isn't too bad of a kisser.

I just laughed out loud in my office. +1

While I can certainly see us losing...........no way that we are blown out by that offense..........

hate to say it, but consider the possibility of defensive td's for msu.

It's been considered.........but the 'Shirts have that same potentiality..........and Stan the Babtist is DUE...!

Would a 34-7 final shock any of you? Certainly wouldn't shock me. Michigan State is only 2 points worse than UCLA Sagarin and we know how that game turned out. Our defense is inconsistent and our offense has roughly 7,000 injuries. We could certainly win, and we might certainly get blown out.

• Fire 1