Stewart Mandel: Prepare for a Blowout

Ric Flair

Would a 34-7 final shock any of you? Certainly wouldn't shock me. Michigan State is only 2 points worse than UCLA Sagarin and we know how that game turned out. Our defense is inconsistent and our offense has roughly 7,000 injuries. We could certainly win, and we might certainly get blown out.

Yes it would shock me. Sparty's offense is nowhere near what UCLA's was (especially with the emotion of playing for a teammate), and our defense is certainly more aggressive now than then.

It's been considered.........but the 'Shirts have that same potentiality..........and Stan the Babtist is DUE...!

ultimately, i agree with you. i just think that anything could happen in this game. but honestly, i would be most surprised if the combined score was > 34.

On that we agree. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the combined score was significantly lower than even that.

I want to hear his reasoning as to why he thinks MSU will run the ball up and down on us. Seriously we're talking about a team that scored 14 points on Purdue. Pull your head out Stew.

You can pick single data points all day long either way. His reasoning is probably that despite 6.5 quarters of good defensive football against two average teams, our defense is still unproven and not that good statistically.

Seriously, we're talking about a team that gave up 227 rushing yards to South Dakota State.

Nothing would surprise me either way at this point. No clue what to expect.

I want to hear his reasoning as to why he thinks MSU will run the ball up and down on us. Seriously we're talking about a team that scored 14 points on Purdue. Pull your head out Stew.

You can pick single data points all day long either way. His reasoning is probably that despite 6.5 quarters of good defensive football against two average teams, our defense is still unproven and not that good statistically.

Seriously, we're talking about a team that gave up 227 rushing yards to South Dakota State.

Saying our defense is unproven and not that good statistically can be said about their offense as well, I'm with you that nothing to this point will surprise me. But, I don't expect their offense to suddenly become this juggernaut and score 30+ points on us.

Saying our defense is unproven and not that good statistically can be said about their offense as well.

Sure, but not as much so. At least looking at league play, their offense has been mostly consistent and pretty good. 26, 42, 42, 29 and 14 vs Purdue, but more than just volume of points scored, they play ball control football and are good at what they do. 2nd in the nation in time of possession.

I doubt they score 34 points on us, but if it happened I wouldn't be picking my jaw off the ground in shock. Thankfully it will be settled on the field Saturday.